Jump to topic:

Revoking of Championships in MLB

DerekJeter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 2:41:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The steroid era of baseball think about it right now, think about what team was dominate in that era. It was the Yankees. With players such as Clemons, Petite, and Alex Rodriguez as well as many more that were known steroid users helping them achieve baseball glory. Think about the glory these players took away from others that were known clean players. Think about poor Tony Gwynn having his dream crushed in the big game by the steroid using Petite. Think about all of the teams that could have added to the diversity of baseball but instead the Yankees had to ruin it. If Pete Rose was reprimanded for "tarnishing the game of baseball" why shouldn't the Yankees be punished? The Yankees have soiled the integrity of the game and taken away the potential prosperity of other teams by utilizing the steroid users of the era to their advantage. So why shouldn't they face consequences?
You may say that hey those players did not interfere or break any rules but again we must think about the morality of the situation. Lets propose this, you have a job and you do that job good and honest everyday right? Now let's say that a person we can call him "Shady Ray" does something to enhance his status in the company and thus leap frog over you and take away the promotion you worked so hard to earn. Let's say that Shady Ray did something that was giving him an unfair advantage but there was no rule about it yet so he could not be reprimanded. Though people agree what he did was wrong they tell you "you can't be mad about it since he didn't break any rules." Well I highly doubt that any of you would feel okay with being swindled and taken advantage of due to a loop hole in the system, but also if nothing was done to compensate you for it.
Now let's back track to Pete Rose. Did he break any rules? No. Are the reasons he was banned from baseball due to him achieving an unfair advantage? No. Was he reprimanded despite all this? Yes. So why were the Yankees not punished if they actually contributed to giving their team an unfair advantage over other teams. If Pete Rose was punished for betting on his own teams why are the Yankees and other teams not punished for using steroid users to achieve baseball glory?
KTP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 10:42:44 PM
It has not been proven that the Yankees knowingly hired steroid users. The Yankees hired players based on their numbers and paid them accordingly. Without proving the Yankees knowingly hired steroid uses it would be unfair to reprimand them in anyway. It has been said 1951 Giants stole signals. Should they be punished? We know even this day teams steal signs and signals from one another. Not that I agree with steroid use and as much as you seem to hate it. the players did operate within the rules of the game. A competitive person who feels they can get an edge without breaking the rules most likely is going to do it. Baseball has always been about stats and numbers. Every general manager in the league during the steroid era hired a steroid user. Not just the Yankees. I went to MLB rule book on line and I looked up gambling and betting. I was unable to find any rule about it. If there is no rule about gambling or betting when Pete Rose played the game. I'm at a loss as to why he's not in the Hall of Fame.
DerekJeter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 10:59:06 PM
But could't you say that the reason Pete Rose is being punished is due to him tarnishing the integrity of the game. With that said I don't see why the teams themselves are not being punished. If they are able to achieve baseball immortality and get away with it why is Pete Rose the only one being punished. The players should be punished by having their championship status taken away. Maybe punishing a whole team is too harsh but if the MLB punished Pete Rose for doing nothing but gamble I am not sure why the players that took steroids and had success due to them are not being punished as well. You could say that none of them are going to make it to the hall of fame but I have to beg to differ. The perception on steroids is changing and when the new wave of writers come into the MLB scene don't be surprised if a few steroid users make it in to the Hall of Fame. How is Barry Bonds not banned from baseball but Pete Rose is? How does that make any sense? Don't you think there needs to be equal punishment given out in baseball? Roger Clemons won two world series utilizing steroids and he is not banned from baseball but Pete Rose somehow is. Think about the morality of this situation and how justice needs to be served.
cromanelli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 3:17:13 PM
Hey Derek!

Interesting topic. I agree that the Yankees tarnished the integrity of baseball with their steroid users. However, there are a number of variables and intricacies of winning a World Series, other than one or two steroid users. But I do understand that having Clemens & Petite as your #1 & #2 starters, while both were juiced up is a very unfair advantage.

My only major problem with the revocation of the championship, is that the entire reputation of the MLB was tarnished by steroids, and many teams were filled with steroid-using players. And I'm not arguing that two rights make a wrong; however, if you argue that the Yankees don't deserve their World Series Rings, then you must also argue that any team that won a World Series between 1990 and 2005, that even had traces of a single player on using steroids, must also hand over their rings.

Also, can you send me an autograph: make it out to SweetMeat