Jump to topic:

American Vs. World

theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2009 8:12:07 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I just want to see where the Debate.org world stands on these two great sports.

In your opinion which is better, in all aspects, Football or Futbol?

It's close for me but the excitement of football gets me.
When Reach fell, I came.
Nobody
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2009 3:58:01 PM
Futbol. Excitement can go either way, it is entirely dependent on the game. For example, this football game would be boring: http://rivals.yahoo.com... However, this game would not be boring: http://rivals.yahoo.com... The same works for futbol. Boring: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com... Interesting: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com... I think that futbol is a better sport because it conducts interest regardless of the score (generally). In futbol, two teams can play a great game which boils down to one goal. In football, a game can end 0-2. Close, low scoring games are generally more boring than high scoring games (in football).
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2009 11:28:35 AM
Helmets make it more dangerous you know.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2009 2:58:16 PM
At 1/23/2009 11:28:35 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Helmets make it more dangerous you know.

Well, then hurling is the most dangerous sport.

We basically run around with giant sticks and F*** leather balls at each oother. Helmets are optional. Beat that!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2009 5:19:55 PM
At 1/23/2009 11:24:24 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Futbol is basically rugby only they are so weak they wear helmets.

1. I assume you mean football, as it would be very interesting to see a rugby (a sport where players would rather die than be taken out)-futbol (a sport often criticized for players that fake injuries so the other team gets a red/yellow card) connection

2. They have proven that hits in the NFL are actually HARDER because of the padding, helmets, etc. than in rugby.

As far as the the topic goes, football wins as far as the sport itself. However, in fandom (both amount and passion), futbol is ahead by a long shot. Overall, I have to give futbol (or as us ignorant, stubborn Americans call it, soccer) the edge.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2009 4:55:47 PM
At 2/1/2009 5:19:55 PM, SportsGuru wrote:
However, in fandom (both amount and passion), futbol is ahead by a long shot.

Yeah, futbol is the world's game. There is no other single event in man's history that rivals the interest in the World Cup.
When Reach fell, I came.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2009 9:16:03 PM
I feel compelled to say futbol, as its clearly the most dominant sport in the world (plus, I come from a very Italian family... so yeah). But I personally prefer football.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 1:18:44 AM
At 3/16/2009 9:16:03 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I feel compelled to say futbol, as its clearly the most dominant sport in the world (plus, I come from a very Italian family... so yeah). But I personally prefer football.

Futbol is far from the most dominant sport in the world. The NFL set up a european league and it failed miserably.

There isn't a futbol world cup. There is a football world cup, plus countless leagues.
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 6:58:42 AM
I'm gonna go with track.
U.B. FTW

(But I would have to say futbol is more impressive, they play for hours straight)
I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 8:09:26 PM
At 3/17/2009 1:18:44 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/16/2009 9:16:03 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Futbol is far from the most dominant sport in the world. The NFL set up a european league and it failed miserably.

There isn't a futbol world cup. There is a football world cup, plus countless leagues.

Perhaps I've been misunderstood... I probably stated that wrong; I thought futbol = soccer. I meant to say that soccer is the most dominant sport in the world, and American football - though a preference of MINE - is certainly not.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 3:28:14 PM
Football, they play for 45 minutes straight, take a 15 minute break, thnwe go for another 45 minutes.

NFL, they play for a few minutes, sometimes a few dozen seconds, take a quick break, which goes for 15 minutes, for a total of 60 minutes. (Methinks).
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 6:47:19 PM
At 6/3/2009 3:28:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Football, they play for 45 minutes straight, take a 15 minute break, thnwe go for another 45 minutes.

NFL, they play for a few minutes, sometimes a few dozen seconds, take a quick break, which goes for 15 minutes, for a total of 60 minutes. (Methinks).

Yup. The NFL just takes advantage of its popularity by advertising so many products during games.

BTW, welcome back Panda.
When Reach fell, I came.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 5:02:59 AM
At 6/3/2009 6:47:19 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 6/3/2009 3:28:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Yup. The NFL just takes advantage of its popularity by advertising so many products during games.

BTW, welcome back Panda.

Yep, every play is brought to you by Budweiser, Coors Light, Nike, Barack Obama or McDonalds.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 7:10:41 AM
Americans say their "football" is more exciting than real football (soccer). If that's the case, why do they have to jazz it up with cheerleaders and singers and other entertainment?

Moreover, supporters of American football aren't as passionate about their game as soccer fans. If they were, they would have riots and mass brawls about it like we do in Europe!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 10:30:31 AM
At 6/4/2009 7:10:41 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Americans say their "football" is more exciting than real football (soccer). If that's the case, why do they have to jazz it up with cheerleaders and singers and other entertainment?

Moreover, supporters of American football aren't as passionate about their game as soccer fans. If they were, they would have riots and mass brawls about it like we do in Europe!

Exactly. And steaming hot meat pies and sausage rolls are the heart of sport. None existent in American Football.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 2:53:43 PM
I think that the main block for most Americans is that they cannot appreciate the finesse involved in soccer. In football, there is really no finesse, and that's what everyone likes about it.
When Reach fell, I came.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 3:05:46 PM
At 6/4/2009 2:53:43 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
I think that the main block for most Americans is that they cannot appreciate the finesse involved in soccer. In football, there is really no finesse, and that's what everyone likes about it.

True, You can spend most of your time idle "wrestling" someone, whilst the rare fit person runs.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 3:33:50 PM
Try throwing a football accurately, or kicking a field goal, or breaking a tackle from someone bigger than you.

Then talk about the lack of finesse.

Btw, the cheerleaders and singers and such happen so that people can recover at halftime, timeouts etc, and therefore work harder in between. Instead of jogging for 90 minutes.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 10:51:34 PM
At 6/4/2009 7:10:41 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Mostly because Americans have short attention spans.

There are American football riots occasionally (we've had a few in my town), but no mass brawls to my knowledge.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 12:57:15 PM
At 8/29/2009 1:14:07 AM, comoncents wrote:
there is a reason why soccer is the most popular sport and football is not well received in other cultures.

Please enlighten us.