Jump to topic:

How many times does SEC need to lose...

IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 12:28:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What will it take for the media to get out of bed with Alabama and the SEC? The lovefest is disgusting.

Tennessee has lost two in a row to Oklahoma. Arkansas lost to Toledo. Ole Miss lost to Memphis. Alabam's loss is to Ole Miss. So one loss Alabama is #2 over other undefeated teams? Isn't this the same program that lost to Ohio State last year and Oklahoma just before? I call BS.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 12:41:23 AM
At 11/11/2015 12:28:16 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
What will it take for the media to get out of bed with Alabama and the SEC? The lovefest is disgusting.

Tennessee has lost two in a row to Oklahoma. Arkansas lost to Toledo. Ole Miss lost to Memphis. Alabam's loss is to Ole Miss. So one loss Alabama is #2 over other undefeated teams? Isn't this the same program that lost to Ohio State last year and Oklahoma just before? I call BS.

Replace SEC with Notre Dame.
Ashton
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 12:03:46 AM
It will take a few years, but that is the joy of the playoff system. No longer can the BCS pit a two SEC teams against each other and say "Look!!! An SEC team won again!"

Every year that they fail will be one more smack back to reality. Of course, it has only really been two years (they were horrible in the bowl games last year and the year before). Give it time.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 3:38:06 AM
At 11/12/2015 12:03:46 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It will take a few years, but that is the joy of the playoff system. No longer can the BCS pit a two SEC teams against each other and say "Look!!! An SEC team won again!"

Well, I'm far from an SEC homer but is Clemson really the top team? I doubt it, and I think Alabama or Ohio State will win it all again. Alabama if they play like they did against LSU could beat anyone fairly easily. This team is quite similar to the 2011 version, especially defensively.

Every year that they fail will be one more smack back to reality. Of course, it has only really been two years (they were horrible in the bowl games last year and the year before). Give it time.

They did go 7-5 in bowl games last year. Sure, the "gauntlet" that was the west went 2-5, but it's not like the whole conference was an absolute failure.
Ashton
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 1:18:33 PM

Put Ohio State in the SEC. And then you will see how much of a BS team
they really are. =)
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 2:08:45 PM
At 11/12/2015 1:18:33 PM, inferno wrote:

they really are. =)

All I remember is them beating Alabama.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 2:55:23 PM
At 11/12/2015 2:08:45 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

they really are. =)

That was last year. I think your being delusional if you believe the Big 10 is going to win 7 championships in a row. Itll never happen as long as the SEC or ACC is around. They finally decide to give a black quarterback a chance for a change, and that was the difference. But the raw truth is if Ohio State was in the SEC, wed be singing a much different tune today. And you know that's damn true. =)
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 5:50:55 PM
At 11/12/2015 2:55:23 PM, inferno wrote:

they really are. =)

That was last year. I think your being delusional if you believe the Big 10 is going to win 7 championships in a row. Itll never happen as long as the SEC or ACC is around. They finally decide to give a black quarterback a chance for a change, and that was the difference. But the raw truth is if Ohio State was in the SEC, wed be singing a much different tune today. And you know that's damn true. =)

All I know is Bob Stoops still hasn't lost to Alabama, TCU destroyed Ole Miss, Oklahoma went 2-0 vs. Tennessee, georgia lost to Georgia Tech last season, Florida lost to Florida State last season, South Carolina lost to Clemson last season, Kentucky lost to Louisville last season, Missouri joined the SEC and finally found consistancy at being towards the top in their division, Ole Miss lost to Memphis this season, Arkansas lost to Toledo this season, Alabama lost to Ole Miss, and somehow Alabama is #2 over several undefeated teams. This is what I know, therefore I conclude that there is an Alabama/media lovefest. If any nonSEC team lost to Ole Miss who lost to Memphis they'd have been crucified in the rankings. Does TCU need to put up 70 on Ole Miss to prove the point or was 50+ not enough?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 6:21:11 PM
At 11/12/2015 5:50:55 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

they really are. =)

All I know is Bob Stoops still hasn't lost to Alabama, TCU destroyed Ole Miss, Oklahoma went 2-0 vs. Tennessee, georgia lost to Georgia Tech last season, Florida lost to Florida State last season, South Carolina lost to Clemson last season, Kentucky lost to Louisville last season, Missouri joined the SEC and finally found consistancy at being towards the top in their division, Ole Miss lost to Memphis this season, Arkansas lost to Toledo this season, Alabama lost to Ole Miss, and somehow Alabama is #2 over several undefeated teams. This is what I know, therefore I conclude that there is an Alabama/media lovefest. If any nonSEC team lost to Ole Miss who lost to Memphis they'd have been crucified in the rankings. Does TCU need to put up 70 on Ole Miss to prove the point or was 50+ not enough?

All of what you just wrote is irrevelant. Why is that you ask ?
Because the SEC is in its rebuilding stage and the majority of the league still cant beat the best teams in this conference. LSU AND ALABAMA both would smash 95% of the NCAA at best. Now put Ohio State of Oklahoma in the SEC, and then we will see whos the king of the forest. TCU just got stumped by Oklahoma State. Michigan has 2 losses already. Oklahoma lost 40-6 to Clemson in the bowl game earlier this year. Ole Miss is an SEC team which just proves my point. You cannot go undefeated in this conference. You got a better shot at winning the lottery than to do that. =)
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 6:25:27 PM
At 11/12/2015 6:21:11 PM, inferno wrote:

they really are. =)

Because the SEC is in its rebuilding stage and the majority of the league still cant beat the best teams in this conference. LSU AND ALABAMA both would smash 95% of the NCAA at best. Now put Ohio State of Oklahoma in the SEC, and then we will see whos the king of the forest. TCU just got stumped by Oklahoma State. Michigan has 2 losses already. Oklahoma lost 40-6 to Clemson in the bowl game earlier this year. Ole Miss is an SEC team which just proves my point. You cannot go undefeated in this conference. You got a better shot at winning the lottery than to do that. =)

We heard that last year and the year before. Smash? Two of them can't even beat Toledo or Memphis! And the one that lost to Memphis is who beat Alabama. Alabama hasn't won a bowl game in a while now. I should believe they are playoff worthy why again? Take your word for it?(when results on the field say otherwise?)
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:21:40 PM
At 11/12/2015 6:25:27 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

they really are. =)

We heard that last year and the year before. Smash? Two of them can't even beat Toledo or Memphis! And the one that lost to Memphis is who beat Alabama. Alabama hasn't won a bowl game in a while now. I should believe they are playoff worthy why again? Take your word for it?(when results on the field say otherwise?)

And they don't have to. They are champions. They have the prestige. They have the honor. They have the respect. They have the stars on the field to prove where they are right now which is ahead of Ohio State. Your weak unappreciated Big Ten conference is still struggling to reach those unattainable heights that the SEC has reached for 7 years straight. And Alabama is still by far the standard in the league. The SEC on its worst day is still more qualified to compete..... When your teams do that, then we can talk. All else is irrelevant. =)
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:30:54 PM
At 11/12/2015 8:21:40 PM, inferno wrote:

they really are. =)

And they don't have to. They are champions. They have the prestige. They have the honor. They have the respect. They have the stars on the field to prove where they are right now which is ahead of Ohio State. Your weak unappreciated Big Ten conference is still struggling to reach those unattainable heights that the SEC has reached for 7 years straight. And Alabama is still by far the standard in the league. The SEC on its worst day is still more qualified to compete..... When your teams do that, then we can talk. All else is irrelevant. =)

I'm an Oklahoma Sooner fan. I look at Alabama and see?

3 straight Sooner wins over Alabama in Stoops era. See the "7". I guess I've just seen Alabama when its makeup is melting and the mascara is running. Ohio State fans can speak for themselves.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:40:26 PM
At 11/12/2015 8:30:54 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

they really are. =)

3 straight Sooner wins over Alabama in Stoops era. See the "7". I guess I've just seen Alabama when its makeup is melting and the mascara is running. Ohio State fans can speak for themselves.

What has Oklahoma done for you lately. Its a shame they have not won a title in a while now. And again they got their heads blown off cleanly by the infamous
Clemson Tigers.....40-6. Are you kidding me. =)
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 9:04:58 PM
At 11/12/2015 8:40:26 PM, inferno wrote:

they really are. =)

What has Oklahoma done for you lately. Its a shame they have not won a title in a while now. And again they got their heads blown off cleanly by the infamous

The last good thing OU did was beat Alabama, ironically. I never said OU had been world beaters lately. Just saying, neither has Alabama, thus #2 with a loss to Ole Miss, when there are several undefeated teams otherwise, doesn't make sense.(IMO)

Oklahoma has 1 loss and sits at #12, probably about right. I could say hey, "OU played in 4 national titles in 8 years," but so what? That doesn't mean they should be #2. I would put Bama over OU right now, just not in the top 4 with a loss to Ole Miss. Does losing not matter if you are "respected"?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 9:34:38 PM
At 11/12/2015 9:04:58 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

they really are. =)

The last good thing OU did was beat Alabama, ironically. I never said OU had been world beaters lately. Just saying, neither has Alabama, thus #2 with a loss to Ole Miss, when there are several undefeated teams otherwise, doesn't make sense.(IMO)

Oklahoma has 1 loss and sits at #12, probably about right. I could say hey, "OU played in 4 national titles in 8 years," but so what? That doesn't mean they should be #2. I would put Bama over OU right now, just not in the top 4 with a loss to Ole Miss. Does losing not matter if you are "respected"?

In college sports it is about reputation. And its about money. Oklahoma does not have the same drawn, or marketability as the Crimson Tide. They are definitely not as commercial either. Alabama is the gold standard in college football. This is a very hard pill to swallow for many as the road to the championship lies through them.
This is the ugly and unvarnished truth. Deal with it.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 12:47:39 AM
At 11/12/2015 9:34:38 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/12/2015 9:04:58 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

they really are. =)

In college sports it is about reputation. And its about money. Oklahoma does not have the same drawn, or marketability as the Crimson Tide. They are definitely not as commercial either. Alabama is the gold standard in college football. This is a very hard pill to swallow for many as the road to the championship lies through them.
This is the ugly and unvarnished truth. Deal with it.

I don't feel OU should be ranked higher or have a beef on OU's behalf. But it is a slap in the face of the undefeated teams to be ranked below Bama. This is the same Tide that just lost to undefeated Ohio State. They are no more "marketable" than OSU. (Not that marketability should mean anything) if we are going based on respect, OSU just beat Bama face to face and Oregon. That garnished them no "respect". This isn't about respect or earned anything. It's about money money money...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 5:40:46 AM
At 11/12/2015 3:38:06 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:

Well, I'm far from an SEC homer but is Clemson really the top team? I doubt it, and I think Alabama or Ohio State will win it all again. Alabama if they play like they did against LSU could beat anyone fairly easily. This team is quite similar to the 2011 version, especially defensively.

LSU just got destroyed by Arkansas. Alabama's win over LSU doesn't look as good any more. We'll get Florida vs Alabama in the SEC Championship, likely an Alabama win (might be different if Florida still had their star QB). Clemson should be able to coast in. Pac-12 has beat each other up, perhaps Utah could get in, but not likely. The Big Ten is looking like they are beating each other up. If ND wins out (including a game against Stanford), they'll be in for the 4 teams.

I think they should avoid having a OSU and Bama rematch as well as a Clemson and ND rematch. Thinking about if I would rather see Clemson face OSU or Bama, I'm thinking against Bama and have ND vs OSU (though I know that ND would love a rematch against Bama for 2012).

That would make for a beautiful revival of the SEC if Bama beat ND for the 2012 rematch and then beat OSU for a rematch of last year. College football could not ask for better publicity than that, lol.

They did go 7-5 in bowl games last year. Sure, the "gauntlet" that was the west went 2-5, but it's not like the whole conference was an absolute failure.

No, statistically, the East was the most underrated division in football while the West was the most overrated division (based on what Vegas predicted scores would be vs how they actually turned out).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 10:40:35 PM

they really are. =)

The SEC aren't champions of anything. They are still working on winning their first playoff game. Ohio State just beat Alabama in real life today. And before that Alabama lost to Oklahoma. The last 2 national chamions were from the ACC and Big 10. What prestige? Don't you have to win something first?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 2:55:43 PM
At 11/15/2015 10:40:35 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

they really are. =)

The SEC aren't champions of anything. They are still working on winning their first playoff game. Ohio State just beat Alabama in real life today. And before that Alabama lost to Oklahoma. The last 2 national chamions were from the ACC and Big 10. What prestige? Don't you have to win something first?

The SEC are still champions. And you cannot forget how competitive the ACC either, which is another conference better than both the Big 10 and Big 12.
There is a reason why Alabama is still the only team in the country that can lose one game and go straight to a championship game. The road to the title lies through them...still. And no the Big 10 isn't gonna go on a long winning streak like the SEC anytime soon. So don't get your hopes up, or you are gonna get disappointed.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 5:39:31 PM
At 11/16/2015 2:55:43 PM, inferno wrote:

they really are. =)

The SEC are still champions. And you cannot forget how competitive the ACC either, which is another conference better than both the Big 10 and Big 12.
There is a reason why Alabama is still the only team in the country that can lose one game and go straight to a championship game. The road to the title lies through them...still. And no the Big 10 isn't gonna go on a long winning streak like the SEC anytime soon. So don't get your hopes up, or you are gonna get disappointed.

The championship runs through them? Did would be the word here. It used to run through Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Florida, but that means nothing today in the present, in real life. Last I checked it's been 3 years since they won a post season game or were even competitive in one.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 8:14:23 PM
At 11/16/2015 5:39:31 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 11/16/2015 2:55:43 PM, inferno wrote:

they really are. =)

The championship runs through them? Did would be the word here. It used to run through Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Florida, but that means nothing today in the present, in real life. Last I checked it's been 3 years since they won a post season game or were even competitive in one.

Thats them. The SEC is different. If you dont believe that then run up on Bama now. =)
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 11:03:06 PM
At 11/15/2015 5:40:46 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

LSU just got destroyed by Arkansas. Alabama's win over LSU doesn't look as good any more. We'll get Florida vs Alabama in the SEC Championship, likely an Alabama win (might be different if Florida still had their star QB). Clemson should be able to coast in. Pac-12 has beat each other up, perhaps Utah could get in, but not likely. The Big Ten is looking like they are beating each other up. If ND wins out (including a game against Stanford), they'll be in for the 4 teams.

I think they should avoid having a OSU and Bama rematch as well as a Clemson and ND rematch. Thinking about if I would rather see Clemson face OSU or Bama, I'm thinking against Bama and have ND vs OSU (though I know that ND would love a rematch against Bama for 2012).

That would make for a beautiful revival of the SEC if Bama beat ND for the 2012 rematch and then beat OSU for a rematch of last year. College football could not ask for better publicity than that, lol.

No, statistically, the East was the most underrated division in football while the West was the most overrated division (based on what Vegas predicted scores would be vs how they actually turned out).

Alabama would crush Notre Dame.....and Ohio State with the defense they have now. Not Ohio States struggle with Indiana in that game.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 8:22:37 PM
At 11/16/2015 11:03:06 PM, inferno wrote:

Alabama would crush Notre Dame.....and Ohio State with the defense they have now. Not Ohio States struggle with Indiana in that game.

That's the rhetoric Alabama fans used towards me on ESPN.com 2 years ago(vs. Oklahoma). We know how that wound up...

And barring the miracle by Auburn vs. Bma, that Alabama team would have played for the title vs. Florida State. But...they couldn't even get by Oklahoma, who was playing rotating QB's because no one stood out at that position.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 8:39:36 PM
At 11/17/2015 8:22:37 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

That's the rhetoric Alabama fans used towards me on ESPN.com 2 years ago(vs. Oklahoma). We know how that wound up...

And barring the miracle by Auburn vs. Bma, that Alabama team would have played for the title vs. Florida State. But...they couldn't even get by Oklahoma, who was playing rotating QB's because no one stood out at that position.

But if we use that same logic that says Alabama won't win it all because of 2013, would could say Alabama could crush Notre Dame because of what happened in the 2013 National title.
Ashton
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 8:49:11 PM
At 11/17/2015 8:39:36 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

But if we use that same logic that says Alabama won't win it all because of 2013, would could say Alabama could crush Notre Dame because of what happened in the 2013 National title.

Sure. And apparently OU would beat Alabama, a 4th straight time. And...Ohio State would beat Alabama again like last year. Thus, undefeated teams should be above Alabama. Or was there a payoff I hadn't heard about?...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 8:57:36 PM

This is the year 2015. We wont even talk about Notre Dame. Ohio State might win it again...but its not gonna be easy. Clemson is one team that can defeat them soundly in a title game. Alabama has strengthen their weaknesses from top to bottom. This is bad news for everybody. Oklahoma and Ole Miss might have their number. The good news is they aren't ranked high enough to be a threat to the Tide which works to their advantage. =0
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 8:59:44 PM

The SEC isn't gonna fade. They still are favored to win this thing in spite of all the haters rhetoric. Alabama is out for blood now. Once the Ohio State fad wears off, and the quarterbacks are gone, they wont even be in the discussion anymore. =)
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 9:10:02 PM
At 11/17/2015 8:57:36 PM, inferno wrote:

This is the year 2015. We wont even talk about Notre Dame. Ohio State might win it again...but its not gonna be easy. Clemson is one team that can defeat them soundly in a title game. Alabama has strengthen their weaknesses from top to bottom. This is bad news for everybody. Oklahoma and Ole Miss might have their number. The good news is they aren't ranked high enough to be a threat to the Tide which works to their advantage. =0

So what did happen against Ole Miss by the way?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 9:22:25 PM
At 11/17/2015 9:10:02 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 11/17/2015 8:57:36 PM, inferno wrote:

So what did happen against Ole Miss by the way?

Right now they are 7-3. Still a good record. They beat Alabama earlier in the season. And they beat Alabama last season too.