Jump to topic:

NCAA Football: Sooners are Loaded

IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 5:58:22 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Joe Mixon became the most ballyhooed Oklahoma football recruit in years when he committed a few days after the Sooners' 2014 Sugar Bowl win over Alabama. Many compared his skill set to that of Peterson, the all-world back who was an OU star from 2004 through 2006 and is now a six-time Pro Bowler with the Minnesota Vikings.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 6:05:03 PM
Sterling Shepard (WR)
Oklahoma's Sterling Shepard outshines Baylor's Corey Coleman

Rob Rang / The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
November 15, 2015 12:29 AM
In one of the more physical and contentious games of the season, it was the smallest player on the field who shined brightest as Oklahoma outlasted Baylor 44-34.

Gutsy performances were turned in on both sides but perhaps the most inspirational effort -- and impactful in terms of NFL stock -- was put forth by the Sooners' diminutive senior wideout Sterling Shepard, who caught 14 passes for 177 yards and two touchdowns.

The 5-foot-10, 193 pound Shepard entered the game ranked 14th on NFLDraftScout.com's wide receiver board but the slippery pass-catcher could see a boost after showing up Baylor's Heisman Trophy candidate Corey Coleman, who checks in at No. 3 among receivers potentially available in the 2016 NFL draft.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 6:26:56 PM
Eric Striker (CB)

In the final game of the year, Striker helped Oklahoma upset Alabama in the 2014 Sugar Bowl, recording a career-high three sacks and tying a career-high seven tackles. In the final minute of the game, he also got the first forced fumble of his career when he stripped Bama's quarterback, A.J. McCarron, followed by defensive end Geneo Grissom picking it up and running it in for a touchdown to seal the Sooners' victory.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 6:31:07 PM
NORMAN " Eric Striker walked into the interview room after practice Tuesday and had something he wanted to say.

"Let"s talk about what"s going on this week, right?" Striker said, completely unprompted. "It"s a good week for me. I"m loving this week."

Is he having a good week of practice? Is he especially well-prepared to face Texas Tech and its up-tempo offense?

Nope.

"Writing a paper that I actually enjoy writing," Striker continued. "And it"s always better when it"s the papers ... some papers, you just don"t like writing, but the papers you enjoy writing, you have fun with. I probably wrote the best paper of my life this week."

Yes, Striker just wanted to tell the crowd of reporters that he was especially excited about a paper he"d written. The subject? Comparing two United States presidents, Herbert Hoover and Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Striker then quizzed the media about FDR and the New Deal.

Just the latest example of why Eric Striker is the most unique player I"ve ever covered, or probably ever will cover.

Unlike everyone else, Striker would rather have a conversation than be interviewed.

Sometimes it"s funny, with Striker making jokes at our expense. He"s teased Oklahoman columnist Berry Tramel about his clothes on more than one occasion. He"s poked fun at my receding hairline. He"s razzed Dean Blevins about various things.

But he"s also broached more serious topics. He"s asked reporters about our jobs " and was genuinely curious " and everyone remembers the time he spent discussing racial issues in the aftermath of the SAE controversy.

Heck, the night the racist SAE video surfaced online, Striker called me to set up an interview because he had things he wanted to say. It"s impossible for me to adequately express how unheard of that is.

About eight hours after our interview, Striker went on CNN to talk about it.

One day a couple months later, Striker texted me a link to a political YouTube video, just because he wanted to know if I"d seen it and was curious about my thoughts on it.

He"s spoken out in favor of gay marriage. His SAE comments sparked a national dialogue about race on college campuses; ESPN featured a big article " titled "The racial impact of Eric Striker" " "about it last month.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 6:45:20 PM
Baker Mayfield transferred from Texas Tech to Oklahoma without ever contacting Bob Stoops. He knew he would make the team. He knew he would start. He knew he was their man.

http://youtu.be...