Jump to topic:

Excessive rules are ruining footbal

Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 8:36:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I can't believe how much the NFL authorities are ruining the game... I haven't watched the vast majority of games so I can't give a comprehensive report on all the problems with officiating this year but it's got to be the worst ever... The year kicked off with the infamous Lions touchdown call that gave the Bears the win they now hold the NFC north with, and the last game I saw with the Packers had a call that possibly was the difference-maker as well. During Miami's punt, a Packer lined up in the middle of the line and was called for illegal formation because of the new rules having to do with safety for the refs or something. This turned a Miami punt into a touchdown for Miami.

Two penalties on celebrating which were far from unsportsman-like have hit the cowboys in their last two games (I remember one led to a touch-down drive for the other team) and I saw an Eagles game where the refs made some goofy call and started the playclock, resulting in an Eagles delay of game call which costed them 4 points in a game they lost by 3.

Football needs rules to work but the fans should come first, not the rules. Fans don't like seeing games decided by refs, and when the refs themselves are a contributing factor to the problem (like in the GB and Philly example) then deference should go to the team, not the ref.

I obviously can't watch all the games... Has anyone noticed other problems with administration and refereeing of games this year? How does a consumer of the NFL protest this behavior?
no comment
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 7:06:19 AM
At 10/17/2010 10:54:21 PM, Loserboi wrote:
controversial calls exists in all sports. NFL knows this and they even have a top ten on it.

NBA's worse.
Phantom foul, nuff said.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 9:17:08 AM
At 10/17/2010 8:36:14 PM, Caramel wrote:
I can't believe how much the NFL authorities are ruining the game... I haven't watched the vast majority of games so I can't give a comprehensive report on all the problems with officiating this year but it's got to be the worst ever... The year kicked off with the infamous Lions touchdown call that gave the Bears the win they now hold the NFC north with, and the last game I saw with the Packers had a call that possibly was the difference-maker as well. During Miami's punt, a Packer lined up in the middle of the line and was called for illegal formation because of the new rules having to do with safety for the refs or something. This turned a Miami punt into a touchdown for Miami.

Two penalties on celebrating which were far from unsportsman-like have hit the cowboys in their last two games (I remember one led to a touch-down drive for the other team) and I saw an Eagles game where the refs made some goofy call and started the playclock, resulting in an Eagles delay of game call which costed them 4 points in a game they lost by 3.

Football needs rules to work but the fans should come first, not the rules. Fans don't like seeing games decided by refs, and when the refs themselves are a contributing factor to the problem (like in the GB and Philly example) then deference should go to the team, not the ref.

I obviously can't watch all the games... Has anyone noticed other problems with administration and refereeing of games this year? How does a consumer of the NFL protest this behavior?

I thinkl that it's absurd all the rules they have put in play. How are you gonna flag somebody for celebrating, I can understand rubbinh it in, but Football is a game of emotion, and many times the players celebrate or taunt out of how they feel.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 10:33:26 AM
Yeah the fans are being forgotten, which is exactly what happens in a monopoly situation like the NFL. The fans are the ones who suffer when the officials gain power in the league and start micromanaging everything. I've seen the worst calls I ever have this season, and what am I supposed to do about it? Turn off the game in protest? I don't exactly have another football league I can bring my business to that may have laxer rules...
no comment
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 10:39:10 AM
At 10/18/2010 10:33:26 AM, Caramel wrote:
Yeah the fans are being forgotten, which is exactly what happens in a monopoly situation like the NFL.
The XFL was tried, and consumers rejected it.

The UFL or whatever it is that's competing right now may or may not have similar rules issues.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 11:05:39 AM
At 10/18/2010 10:33:26 AM, Caramel wrote:
Yeah the fans are being forgotten, which is exactly what happens in a monopoly situation like the NFL. The fans are the ones who suffer when the officials gain power in the league and start micromanaging everything. I've seen the worst calls I ever have this season, and what am I supposed to do about it? Turn off the game in protest? I don't exactly have another football league I can bring my business to that may have laxer rules...

http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://en.wikipedia.org...
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 11:36:09 AM
At 10/18/2010 9:17:08 AM, kelly224 wrote:
At 10/17/2010 8:36:14 PM, Caramel wrote:

I thinkl that it's absurd all the rules they have put in play. How are you gonna flag somebody for celebrating, I can understand rubbinh it in, but Football is a game of emotion, and many times the players celebrate or taunt out of how they feel.

If you don't, then it escalates.
Just look at TO with the Eagles, posing on Dallas' mid-field.

Anyway, the NFL is not nearly as bad as the NBA.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 1:32:29 PM
Well if football self-destructs next season because of capitalism then perhaps the little-known UFL will look a little better... Most likely, football fans will choose simply not even to watch than to settle for a league full of has-beens and never-will-bes. If capitalism didn't exist, then the NFL wouldn't be able to monopolize the market and there very well might be some actual choice...
no comment
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 1:47:46 PM
How are excessive rules ruining football? I whole-heartedly admit that the Lions' catch against the Bears should have counted, but it was the right call on an iffy rule. The receiver must maintain possession of the ball throughout the entire process of the catch (so if he lands on the ground he must hold on to the ball), which Calvin Johnson did not. The new rule was specifically implemented to leave less room for interpretation, even if you disagree with the final call. Johnson could have easily completed that catch had he paid more attention to the rule.

Regarding celebratory rules, those are just flat out DUMB and there's not much of a defense for them. However I admit that some players look really stupid as they start bragging every time they get a tackle. Oh... you're a line backer and you tackled someone... congrat-u-fvckinlations on doing exactly what you're paid millions to do. I mean emotions are expected, sure, but not after EVERY play. It's lame but the rules and especially the punishments for it are stupid.

However I will say that it makes perfect sense to create formation rules regarding the safety of the referees. Because we use/need refs, to completely disregard their safety is selfish and irresponsible -- not to mention it compromises the integrity of the game. There's tons of footage of refs getting messed up on the field. If the ref gets taken out or interferes with the play, HOW CAN THE RIGHT CALL BE MADE? Not only would the ref be hurt, but he would not be in a position to make the proper call. Moreover, it could completely interfere with the play itself! Now THAT would be an example of a ref interfering with a game.

In short none of these rules are enough to turn fans away in any capacity; also in none of these instances are games "being decided by refs" with the exception of obnoxious showmanship rules. The rules are put in place specifically to make the game and experience better - not to give refs magical powers. The OP also ignores all of the great and enforced rules in football. I think the only thing fans can do about a crap rule though is continue to b!tch about it enough on the internet and hope the NFL changes it. However considering none of these rules are that bad, and as zGodMode said the NFL is better than other leagues because of frequent use of replay and stuff like that, I'd say this issue isn't too important. I mean consider the phantom penalties in the World Cup with NO replays... now that's unfortunate!
President of DDO
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 5:23:47 PM
At 10/18/2010 1:32:29 PM, Caramel wrote:
Well if football self-destructs next season because of capitalism then perhaps the little-known UFL will look a little better... Most likely, football fans will choose simply not even to watch than to settle for a league full of has-beens and never-will-bes.

If the NFL were to collapse (doubtful) the UFL and other leagues would likely be inundated with former NFL players. Even if the UFL doesn't gain a significant portion of the the market share, it forces the NFL to act in such a way so as to prevent it from occurring. It ain't perfect competition, but it's better than nuthin'

Remember also that you can always watch other sports. It's not just other football leagues the NFL has to compete with for fans.

If capitalism didn't exist, then the NFL wouldn't be able to monopolize the market and there very well might be some actual choice...

Why do you feel the need to make such absurd, unwarranted claims?
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 9:13:56 PM
THE NEW RULE IS BS players will face a suspension if he delivers a "devastating hit" or a "headshot" who else thinks this is BS? That is taking away all the physicality out of the game ultimately ruining defenses.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2010 12:35:05 AM
At 10/18/2010 1:47:46 PM, theLwerd wrote:
How are excessive rules ruining football? I whole-heartedly admit that the Lions' catch against the Bears should have counted, but it was the right call on an iffy rule. The receiver must maintain possession of the ball throughout the entire process of the catch (so if he lands on the ground he must hold on to the ball), which Calvin Johnson did not. The new rule was specifically implemented to leave less room for interpretation, even if you disagree with the final call. Johnson could have easily completed that catch had he paid more attention to the rule.

Regarding celebratory rules, those are just flat out DUMB and there's not much of a defense for them. However I admit that some players look really stupid as they start bragging every time they get a tackle. Oh... you're a line backer and you tackled someone... congrat-u-fvckinlations on doing exactly what you're paid millions to do. I mean emotions are expected, sure, but not after EVERY play. It's lame but the rules and especially the punishments for it are stupid.

However I will say that it makes perfect sense to create formation rules regarding the safety of the referees. Because we use/need refs, to completely disregard their safety is selfish and irresponsible -- not to mention it compromises the integrity of the game. There's tons of footage of refs getting messed up on the field. If the ref gets taken out or interferes with the play, HOW CAN THE RIGHT CALL BE MADE? Not only would the ref be hurt, but he would not be in a position to make the proper call. Moreover, it could completely interfere with the play itself! Now THAT would be an example of a ref interfering with a game.

In short none of these rules are enough to turn fans away in any capacity; also in none of these instances are games "being decided by refs" with the exception of obnoxious showmanship rules. The rules are put in place specifically to make the game and experience better - not to give refs magical powers. The OP also ignores all of the great and enforced rules in football. I think the only thing fans can do about a crap rule though is continue to b!tch about it enough on the internet and hope the NFL changes it. However considering none of these rules are that bad, and as zGodMode said the NFL is better than other leagues because of frequent use of replay and stuff like that, I'd say this issue isn't too important. I mean consider the phantom penalties in the World Cup with NO replays... now that's unfortunate!

OK, I stand corrected...

I just can't stand how much 'authority' is taking over the game. The more these rules are created, the more the game becomes about how well players can keep track of new rules as opposed to how well they run and tackle. I'm sure an experienced coach will tell you all about how much of the game is won off the field, which is great in its own way, but it's gotten to the point where I'm more concerned about the human resources department of the team than the receiving corps. Rules are inherently inefficient; they are patches that should be used as sparingly as possible and I think we've forgotten that. The fans want football players, not accountants.
no comment
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2010 12:45:09 AM
At 10/18/2010 9:13:56 PM, Loserboi wrote:
THE NEW RULE IS BS players will face a suspension if he delivers a "devastating hit" or a "headshot" who else thinks this is BS? That is taking away all the physicality out of the game ultimately ruining defenses.

lol loser you're not too concerned about the health of these guys are you... I can see why this would be helpful, but the big problem with it that I see is that coaches are being turned into lawyers. With few rules, this isn't so bad, and we all get a kick out of the gum-chewing coaches yelling at the refs in close-calls. But as we add more rules, the coaches have more pressure (from above) to be sticking their noses into more calls and exercising any possible angle. So now any tackle that looks harder than usual is going to force the coach to start whining, the fans to start whining, more instant replays, etc.
no comment
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2010 1:03:07 AM
At 10/18/2010 5:23:47 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 10/18/2010 1:32:29 PM, Caramel wrote:
Well if football self-destructs next season because of capitalism then perhaps the little-known UFL will look a little better... Most likely, football fans will choose simply not even to watch than to settle for a league full of has-beens and never-will-bes.

If the NFL were to collapse (doubtful) the UFL and other leagues would likely be inundated with former NFL players. Even if the UFL doesn't gain a significant portion of the the market share, it forces the NFL to act in such a way so as to prevent it from occurring. It ain't perfect competition, but it's better than nuthin'

Yeah I was exaggerating... The NFL occupies a niche that I can never see being lost, and if anything the ownership will simply shift.

Remember also that you can always watch other sports. It's not just other football leagues the NFL has to compete with for fans.

Hockey sucks, basketball is only fun to play (not watch), and baseball is lame IMO. I'm not a sports guy, I am a football guy.

If capitalism didn't exist, then the NFL wouldn't be able to monopolize the market and there very well might be some actual choice...

Why do you feel the need to make such absurd, unwarranted claims?

I was angry. I'm better now. I think capitalism wastes a lot of money in professional sports but I was wrong to say we need more competition in football leagues because one league is better than many. ~30 teams, in one league, is the most equitable outcome because that means all the greats can play each other and not be spread around different leagues.
no comment
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2010 6:16:35 PM
At 10/19/2010 12:45:09 AM, Caramel wrote:

lol loser you're not too concerned about the health of these guys are you... I can see why this would be helpful, but the big problem with it that I see is that coaches are being turned into lawyers. With few rules, this isn't so bad, and we all get a kick out of the gum-chewing coaches yelling at the refs in close-calls. But as we add more rules, the coaches have more pressure (from above) to be sticking their noses into more calls and exercising any possible angle. So now any tackle that looks harder than usual is going to force the coach to start whining, the fans to start whining, more instant replays, etc.

What health?! they signed up to play a physical sport whats the point of playing defense if you can't play your hardest? Don't wanna get hit? Don't play its that simple. Don't wanna get hit? Dodge just as simple. You cannot penalize the defense for doing their job... -_-. They have been taught since high school to hit as hard as possible because that means you tried you hardest to tackle them. Watch someone is gonna make a soft hit and somebody like Adrian Peterson, or Michael Turner, or Andre Johnson is going to Truck them. This new rule is ridiculous. You don't understand why football is loved... because its not for Pu$$ys
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2010 6:19:08 PM

It is entirely the Quarterback's fault if his guys get hit hard... Don't throw into double coverage where you know your guy will get hurt... If the quarterback is willing to put his receivers in harms way than the defense shouldn't be penalized.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 12:50:06 PM
At 10/19/2010 6:16:35 PM, Loserboi wrote:

What health?!

The health of the players, that allows them to play.

they signed up to play a physical sport whats the point of playing defense if you can't play your hardest?

I don't respect contracts, especially not in the NFL. You could get a guy from the ghetto to sign his mother away for a chance to make millions... This isn't a contract it's complete coercion.

Don't wanna get hit? Don't play its that simple. Don't wanna get hit? Dodge just as simple. You cannot penalize the defense for doing their job... -_-. They have been taught since high school to hit as hard as possible because that means you tried you hardest to tackle them. Watch someone is gonna make a soft hit and somebody like Adrian Peterson, or Michael Turner, or Andre Johnson is going to Truck them. This new rule is ridiculous. You don't understand why football is loved... because its not for Pu$$ys

I'm a Packer fan. Our star lineman (Clay Matthews) is injured and can't play (although there is talk he might give it a try soon). Our star tight-end (Jermichael Finley) is injured and can't play. Our runningback is injured and out for the season, our quarterback just sustained a concussion, and at least 4 other starting defense players are injured as well. We've lost our last 3 straight and all the odds are that we will lose the next 3, even though with the talent on our team we should be just about the best team in the league.

It's really hard to "love" football this year for me.
no comment
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 5:12:57 PM
At 10/20/2010 12:50:06 PM, Caramel wrote:

What health?!

The health of the players, that allows them to play.

This is football don't wanna get hit don't play.

they signed up to play a physical sport whats the point of playing defense if you can't play your hardest?

I don't respect contracts, especially not in the NFL. You could get a guy from the ghetto to sign his mother away for a chance to make millions... This isn't a contract it's complete coercion.

What? I don't understand what this has to do with anything.

Don't wanna get hit? Don't play its that simple. Don't wanna get hit? Dodge just as simple. You cannot penalize the defense for doing their job... -_-. They have been taught since high school to hit as hard as possible because that means you tried you hardest to tackle them. Watch someone is gonna make a soft hit and somebody like Adrian Peterson, or Michael Turner, or Andre Johnson is going to Truck them. This new rule is ridiculous. You don't understand why football is loved... because its not for Pu$$ys

I'm a Packer fan. Our star lineman (Clay Matthews) is injured and can't play (although there is talk he might give it a try soon). Our star tight-end (Jermichael Finley) is injured and can't play. Our runningback is injured and out for the season, our quarterback just sustained a concussion, and at least 4 other starting defense players are injured as well. We've lost our last 3 straight and all the odds are that we will lose the next 3, even though with the talent on our team we should be just about the best team in the league.

It's really hard to "love" football this year for me.

Injuries will happen in any sport... Football makes too many rules to limit the defense and protect the offensive players. Touching the quarterback is roughing the passer cmon now!
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 9:06:09 PM

Helmet to helmet contact is against the rules in College football, and now the NFL, for a reason.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 12:44:07 AM
At 10/21/2010 9:06:09 PM, zGodMode wrote:

Helmet to helmet contact is against the rules in College football, and now the NFL, for a reason.

what defines a "devastating" hit?