Jump to topic:

What Happened to RG3?

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 10:35:44 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
You may have heard of him, he was only ROY in 2012. But now, he's disappeared from the national stage, almost completely. Why?

The most pressing issue, of course, is injury. You can't expect a man who gets hit hard (after hopping up to snap the ball, mind you) to last very well on the next play. It's both the issue of the coach and the player for trying to "stick it out" for the moment. Ultimately, it ruined his career -- at least up until this point.

Another reason, I believe, is a common issue of many NFL draftees. They do phenomenal in college, and then flop when they enter the NFL (see: Ryan Leaf). Sometimes their success reaches as far as the NFL, but doesn't last. That's what's happened RG3. He was good for a season, but his prominence waned away before anyone was read for it. He was a likable lad, with what seemed insurmountable potential, beating out two other stars in 2012 (Dangeruss and Luck) for the ROY award.

But, I don't discredit his success and cast him out; at least not yet. He could benefit, and develop much better, from another team. He's been with the Redskins (forgive my atrocious language) for far too long. The team has an offensive line almost as bad as a team name, which doesn't help when you're a quarterback trying to get footing in the NFL. Essentially, I'm saying that he would blossom better elsewhere, where he's actually given a legitimate chance. Luck was a one-of-a-kind wonder -- he was able to adjust positively to a less-than-stellar environment and is doing well. Wilson had (has) a stacked team that indisputably helped him out.

Perhaps things will go better once LA has a new QB... namely the ROY from 2012. That's right.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
SactownBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 5:45:21 PM
I don't know if he will "blossom" or not. Problem was, a huge part of his success early in his career was his mobility, which the injury robbed him of. He was never asked before to be a drop back passer. So he's trying to learn on the job how to be that. The NFL is a rough place to try and pick that skill up.

He might do ok in a system where he isn't asked to do much. I doubt he will ever be among the top tier in QB's though. He's damaged goods.
Jimbus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 10:45:28 PM
I knew this from the moment he was drafted. RG3 would suck in the pros, like most other drafted players. I was surprised when he did fairly well in the next two seasons, but once he got the injury and stunk after that, I knew it was probably a delayed reaction, if you catch my drift.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 3:24:37 AM
At 2/16/2016 5:45:21 PM, SactownBoom wrote:
I don't know if he will "blossom" or not. Problem was, a huge part of his success early in his career was his mobility, which the injury robbed him of.

Undoubtedly. But there was something else about him, too. He had a good arm and vision. I don't know where it went, to be perfectly honest.

He was never asked before to be a drop back passer. So he's trying to learn on the job how to be that. The NFL is a rough place to try and pick that skill up.

True.

He might do ok in a system where he isn't asked to do much. I doubt he will ever be among the top tier in QB's though. He's damaged goods.

Yep. I still feel like, given the chance, he could develop well. He could be about as good as Rivers. You did catch where I predicted he'd go, right?
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 3:26:20 AM
At 2/16/2016 10:45:28 PM, Jimbus wrote:
I knew this from the moment he was drafted. RG3 would suck in the pros, like most other drafted players. I was surprised when he did fairly well in the next two seasons, but once he got the injury and stunk after that, I knew it was probably a delayed reaction, if you catch my drift.

You were objectively wrong, then, if you thought he'd do terribly. He won ROY. I guess, though, you "foresaw" (though I don't believe you can technically *know,* but whatever) his eminent doom as an NFL QB.
SactownBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 8:13:34 PM
At 2/17/2016 3:24:37 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
I don't know if he will "blossom" or not. Problem was, a huge part of his success early in his career was his mobility, which the injury robbed him of.

Undoubtedly. But there was something else about him, too. He had a good arm and vision. I don't know where it went, to be perfectly honest.

He was never asked before to be a drop back passer. So he's trying to learn on the job how to be that. The NFL is a rough place to try and pick that skill up.

True.

Yep. I still feel like, given the chance, he could develop well. He could be about as good as Rivers. You did catch where I predicted he'd go, right?

Jeff Fisher is one of the most unimaginative offenses out there, but RGIII could probably hand off to Todd Gurley as well as anybody.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 8:55:42 PM
At 2/17/2016 8:13:34 PM, SactownBoom wrote:
At 2/17/2016 3:24:37 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

True.

Jeff Fisher is one of the most unimaginative offenses out there, but RGIII could probably hand off to Todd Gurley as well as anybody.

Lol. I think it's a good fit for him.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:07:01 AM
1. He tore major ligaments in his knee like 3 times.

2. Overconfidence.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:09:59 AM
During the draft combine, I said he had the potential to be the best in the draft, but ultimately Luck would outshine him - and on draft day I said RGIII would win RoY, Russell Wilson would do better than Luck, and would fit perfectly with the Seahawks, and that Luck would be the most polished of the three after a few years, and RGIII would be unable to match his rookie output.

I feel good these days about my predictions from that draft.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 8:55:26 PM
At 2/18/2016 3:07:01 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
1. He tore major ligaments in his knee like 3 times.

Lol, yep. That's what I said.

2. Overconfidence.

Maybe.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 8:55:56 PM
At 2/18/2016 3:09:59 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
During the draft combine, I said he had the potential to be the best in the draft, but ultimately Luck would outshine him - and on draft day I said RGIII would win RoY, Russell Wilson would do better than Luck, and would fit perfectly with the Seahawks, and that Luck would be the most polished of the three after a few years, and RGIII would be unable to match his rookie output.

I feel good these days about my predictions from that draft.

Quite accurate! :)
U.n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2016 1:51:36 PM
As eluded to in comments above, the Shanahans never attempted to convert or coach RGIII into a pro style quarterback. They simply ran a modified college style option offense.

Which works well when other teams aren't used to playing against it at the pro level. But once RGIII got banged up and the pro defenses got some game film on it, it was over. RGIIi has gone too far downhill.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2016 9:48:25 PM
At 2/22/2016 1:51:36 PM, U.n wrote:
As eluded to in comments above, the Shanahans never attempted to convert or coach RGIII into a pro style quarterback. They simply ran a modified college style option offense.

It works, if you do it right.

Which works well when other teams aren't used to playing against it at the pro level. But once RGIII got banged up and the pro defenses got some game film on it, it was over. RGIIi has gone too far downhill.

Yeah. It is partly Shanahan's fault... he played RG3 when he was hopping on one leg.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 10:29:37 PM
At 2/23/2016 12:30:26 AM, amack1028 wrote:
The offense was not tailored to his talents......

Originally? Yes, it was. He didn't win ROY for nothing.

Gruden did not want him ....end off story

*of