Jump to topic:

Novak Djokovic is the best player of all time

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 12:14:22 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At only 28 with 11 grand slam titles already in the bank Djokovic is on course to surpass Roger Federers record of 17 grand slam titles. Djokovic also holds the record for number of atp masters 1000 tournaments won and has won the majority of matches he has played against two other all time greats Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Djokovic has reached the final of every tournament he has entered in the last 12 months.

Anyone disagree with my opinion?
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 12:48:44 AM
At 2/19/2016 12:14:22 AM, beng100 wrote:
At only 28 with 11 grand slam titles already in the bank Djokovic is on course to surpass Roger Federers record of 17 grand slam titles. Djokovic also holds the record for number of atp masters 1000 tournaments won and has won the majority of matches he has played against two other all time greats Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Djokovic has reached the final of every tournament he has entered in the last 12 months.

Personally, I've always liked Nadal's play. I'm in no position to argue with you, so I'll just contribute the my feeble opinion. :P
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 1:31:59 AM
At 2/19/2016 12:48:44 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Personally, I've always liked Nadal's play. I'm in no position to argue with you, so I'll just contribute the my feeble opinion. :P

Yeah Nadal has been a great player especially on clay. I regard him as the best of all time on that surface. However Djokovic thrashes him when they play these days and looks on course to surpass his achievements.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 2:29:38 AM
At 2/19/2016 1:31:59 AM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/19/2016 12:48:44 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Yeah Nadal has been a great player especially on clay. I regard him as the best of all time on that surface. However Djokovic thrashes him when they play these days and looks on course to surpass his achievements.

Interesting.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 12:13:26 PM

I like Djokovic, but he's competition is notwhere near what Federer's was in his prime. Nadal has been constantly battling injuries, Federer is near his mid 30s, and his toughest competition is Andy Murray, who has only 2 majors. Plus, there are no really big young tennis stars emerging.
Ashton
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 3:39:55 PM
At 2/19/2016 12:13:26 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

I like Djokovic, but he's competition is notwhere near what Federer's was in his prime. Nadal has been constantly battling injuries, Federer is near his mid 30s, and his toughest competition is Andy Murray, who has only 2 majors. Plus, there are no really big young tennis stars emerging.

Hmmm i disagree. Roger Federer had a period of time early in his career where opposition was very weak. The emergence of Nadal was initially only on clay court's so Federer had generally weak opponents on other surfaces. As Nadal became an all court player and Djokovic emerged Federer won a lot less grand slams. Here are the opponents both players defeated to win their grand slam titles in order from the first to the most recent.

Federer

1. Mark philippousisis

2. Marat safin

3. Andy Roddick

4. Lleyton Hewitt

5. Andy Roddick

6. An aging Andre agassi

7. Marcos baghdatis

8. A young Rafael Nadal

9. Andy Roddick

10. Fernando Gonzalez

11. Rafael Nadal

12. A young Novak Djokovic

13. Andy Murray

14. Robin Soderling

15. Andy Roddick

16. Andy Murray

17. Andy Murray

Novak Djokovic-

1. Jo wilfried Tsonga

2. Andy Murray

3. Rafael Nadal

4. Rafael Nadal

5. Rafael Nadal

6. Andy Murray

7. Roger Federer

8. Andy Murray

9. Roger Federer

10. Roger Federer

11. Andy Murray.

Both have won a lot of finals against Murray who is a better player than Gonzalez, philoppousisis, baghdatis, Roddick and Hewitt who were the easy opponents Federer had to play earlier in his career. When Federer emerged the Sampras agassi era was over and their was a void that he filled.

Djokovic meanwhile emerged into an amazing era of tennis with Federer and Nadal playing at their prime. He had an easy oppent for his first grand slam title but subsequently all of his wins came against Federer Nadal and Murray. Federer has never beaten Nadal or Djokovic in their prime in a grand slam final.

Federer initially built up a strong head to head record against Djokovic when he was in his prime and Djokovic was young. Now Djokovic is in his prime and Federer is past his best Djokovic will continue to build a larger lead in head to head contests. Djokovic also has a much better record in grand slam matches vs Federer. Djokovic has a consistent baseline game that grinds down Federer in long contests. Often due to Federers weak shot his flat topspin backhand breaking down in long backhand exchanges with Djokovic. To beat Djokovic Federer has to try and hit through Djokovic quickly and keep the match short.