Jump to topic:

Your March Madness upset picks

birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 4:04:50 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Well, it's the time of year again. The greatest tournament in the world is now upon us. Every year there are upsets, and the unpredictability is what makes it so much fun. Last year was a bit of a down year for the lower seeds though. Sure, there were some upsets like Georgia State over Baylor and UAB over Iowa State, but other than those the upsets were limited. Many 5vs12 and 4vs13 games went down to the wire, but the favorite emerged victorious. Will the same happen this year or will the chaos continue

My most likely upsets (Also I am not counting Gonzaga over Seton Hall as an upset. Gonzaga may be an 11 seed but they are actually favored to win their match)

1. Northern Iowa over Texas

Northern Iowa is a dangerous team. They have already beaten North Carolina, Iowa State, and then beat Wichita State twice. Wes Washpun is an experienced point guard who has come up clutch so many times, including the buzzer beater over Evansville. Texas, on the other hand, is coming into this game with as little momentum as possible. They were blown out by Baylor and Kansas and have struggled to score greatly. That fits perfectly for a Northern Iowa team that plays excellent defense.

2. Michigan over Notre Dame

This one right now may not even have the chance to happen, as Michigan still has to get past Tulsa in order to play the Irish. If they can survive that first four matchup though, they'll face a Notre Dame team that is basically a mirror image of them. Both love to play up tempo, shoot the 3, and don't have overwhelming size. Notre Dame also is lacking momentum after getting blown out by North Carolina.

3. Yale over Baylor

This in my opinion is by far the most likely 12vs 5 upset to happen. I've seen many projections that give Yale as high as a 40% chance to win. Given that Yale is very experienced and has some excellent forwards in Brandon Sherrod and Justin Sears, they will give Baylor all they can handle. Baylor also happens to be a terribly fluky team; they've been blown out by 28 at Kansas, 19 at Texas A&M, 18 at home to Texas Tech, and 11 at West Virginia. They also have won at Texas (and beat them on a neutral site), beat Iowa State twice, and nearly won at Oregon. This matchup is also happening in Providence, RI, so the crowd edge will be big time in favor of Yale.

4. UNC Wilmington over Duke

A lot of this has to do with my belief that Duke was over seeded. They lost at Clemson, at home to Syracuse, lost in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament, and still finished with a 4 seed. Their reward? A date with the Seahawks who won the CAA and have size of their own. If Duke hits their threes, this won't happen. But if Duke is cold from three, their lack of depth could come back to hurt them with a stunning upset.

5. South Dakota State over Maryland

Maryland was a projected national title contending team at the beginning of the year. Instead, they never could play to their capabilities. They barely won over Rider to start the year, almost lost to Northwestern at home, and lost to one of the worst power conference teams in recent memory (Minnesota, who South Dakota State beat 84-70). If the good Maryland shows up, this one could be a rout. If the bad Maryland shows up (and it's very likely from what we've seen throughout the year), sound the upset alert loudly.
Ashton
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 4:12:27 PM
One other upset I forgot to mention

Hawaii over California.

Call me crazy, but I have Cal in the title game against Michigan State. Jaylen Brown and Ivan Rabb are incredibly talented freshman who have NBA scouts drooling over them. If they play to their capabilities, the sky is the limit (the same thing could apply to Providence with Kris Dunn and Ben Bentil). Anyways, there's one problem: Cal cannot win away from home. They went 18-0 at home, but lost a grand total of 10 times in road or neutral site games. That's not good news, as they're facing a Hawaii team and 6'11 center Stefan Jankovic (who averages 16 points and 6 rebounds) who finished 27-5 on the regular season, and gave then no 3 Oklahoma all they could handle.
Ashton
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 8:42:41 PM
The ones I have are.

UConn over Colorado
SDSU over Maryland
Wichita St. over Arizona
Temple over Iowa and Vilanova

St. Joseph over Oregon
UNCW over Duke
UNI over Texas

Providence over USC
Michigan over ND
Pitt over Wisconsin and Xavier

Butler over Texas Tech
Gonzaga over SH and Utah
Syracuse over Dayton
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 4:08:10 PM
At 3/15/2016 4:04:50 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:
Well, it's the time of year again. The greatest tournament in the world is now upon us. Every year there are upsets, and the unpredictability is what makes it so much fun. Last year was a bit of a down year for the lower seeds though. Sure, there were some upsets like Georgia State over Baylor and UAB over Iowa State, but other than those the upsets were limited. Many 5vs12 and 4vs13 games went down to the wire, but the favorite emerged victorious. Will the same happen this year or will the chaos continue

My most likely upsets (Also I am not counting Gonzaga over Seton Hall as an upset. Gonzaga may be an 11 seed but they are actually favored to win their match)

Northern Iowa is a dangerous team. They have already beaten North Carolina, Iowa State, and then beat Wichita State twice. Wes Washpun is an experienced point guard who has come up clutch so many times, including the buzzer beater over Evansville. Texas, on the other hand, is coming into this game with as little momentum as possible. They were blown out by Baylor and Kansas and have struggled to score greatly. That fits perfectly for a Northern Iowa team that plays excellent defense.

This one right now may not even have the chance to happen, as Michigan still has to get past Tulsa in order to play the Irish. If they can survive that first four matchup though, they'll face a Notre Dame team that is basically a mirror image of them. Both love to play up tempo, shoot the 3, and don't have overwhelming size. Notre Dame also is lacking momentum after getting blown out by North Carolina.

3. Yale over Baylor

This in my opinion is by far the most likely 12vs 5 upset to happen. I've seen many projections that give Yale as high as a 40% chance to win. Given that Yale is very experienced and has some excellent forwards in Brandon Sherrod and Justin Sears, they will give Baylor all they can handle. Baylor also happens to be a terribly fluky team; they've been blown out by 28 at Kansas, 19 at Texas A&M, 18 at home to Texas Tech, and 11 at West Virginia. They also have won at Texas (and beat them on a neutral site), beat Iowa State twice, and nearly won at Oregon. This matchup is also happening in Providence, RI, so the crowd edge will be big time in favor of Yale.

A lot of this has to do with my belief that Duke was over seeded. They lost at Clemson, at home to Syracuse, lost in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament, and still finished with a 4 seed. Their reward? A date with the Seahawks who won the CAA and have size of their own. If Duke hits their threes, this won't happen. But if Duke is cold from three, their lack of depth could come back to hurt them with a stunning upset.

Maryland was a projected national title contending team at the beginning of the year. Instead, they never could play to their capabilities. They barely won over Rider to start the year, almost lost to Northwestern at home, and lost to one of the worst power conference teams in recent memory (Minnesota, who South Dakota State beat 84-70). If the good Maryland shows up, this one could be a rout. If the bad Maryland shows up (and it's very likely from what we've seen throughout the year), sound the upset alert loudly.

Kentucky may not make it this year to the promise land.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 4:14:09 PM
At 3/17/2016 4:08:10 PM, inferno wrote:
At 3/15/2016 4:04:50 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

3. Yale over Baylor

Kentucky may not make it this year to the promise land.

Agreed, but I think they will get by Stony Brook fairly easily. Warney is a good player but their point guard Purifoy (Stony Brook) is a ball hog and takes so many bad shots. I also think they will get by Indiana or Chattanooga fairly easily as well. North Carolina is probably where they lose.
Ashton
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 2:44:59 AM
But did anyone call Middle Tennessee beating Michigan State????

Didn't think so. College basketball is intense.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:26:29 PM
At 3/23/2016 2:44:59 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I know right?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 4:08:45 PM
At 3/23/2016 3:26:29 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I know right?

Definitely. I know quite a few people who had Michigan St. winning it all... then they got kicked out first time up.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 4:28:58 PM

Honestly, besides the 1 vs 16 match ups, that was the least likely upset I saw coming. I was also surprised by how tough Cal State Bakersfield played Oklahoma.
Ashton
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:54:40 PM
At 3/23/2016 4:28:58 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

Honestly, besides the 1 vs 16 match ups, that was the least likely upset I saw coming. I was also surprised by how tough Cal State Bakersfield played Oklahoma.

Exactly.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:44:27 AM
Don't know about upsets, but Sooners will winit all.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...