Jump to topic:

NFC West Stinks!

GrabYoSocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 7:04:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I can not believe that the NFL could have a team with a 7-9 record not only make the playoffs but host a playoff!

Should the NFL take the best 8 teams , or if a division leader has a sub .500 record, hand the playoff spot over to a more deserving team?

Your thoughts.....
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 8:16:11 AM
At 12/1/2010 7:04:50 AM, GrabYoSocks wrote:
I can not believe that the NFL could have a team with a 7-9 record not only make the playoffs but host a playoff!

Should the NFL take the best 8 teams , or if a division leader has a sub .500 record, hand the playoff spot over to a more deserving team?

Your thoughts.....

Yeah and if the whole division sucks then it means that the 7-9 team didn't even really work that hard for the few wins it got... Although the Cards did defeat the NFC a couple of years ago after being ruled out as a fluke.
no comment
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 9:34:31 AM
I like the division system. It makes teams more competitive and makes the NFL different every year. It is not really possible to judge how good a team really is just by their record. Since in the NFL teams do not play every single team.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 9:53:55 AM
Providing a playoff berth for winning a division helps to keep rivalries alive and healthy even if the rivals all suck for an extended period.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 9:55:00 AM
Remember, the goal is entertainment, football virtuosity is not an end in itself, at least from a league wide perspective.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GrabYoSocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 10:53:17 AM
So you would rather see a team that is 7-9 more than a team that is 9-7,10-6 or
11-5?

Wow! I would hate that! and wouldn't you if your team was that 11-5 team and a 7-9 team made it over yours? Maybe there needs to be one more wild card spot in each division so that this can be resolved.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 12:09:42 PM
At 12/1/2010 10:53:17 AM, GrabYoSocks wrote:
11-5?

Wow! I would hate that! and wouldn't you if your team was that 11-5 team and a 7-9 team made it over yours? Maybe there needs to be one more wild card spot in each division so that this can be resolved.

It's the NFL, a 7-9 team can make the superbowl for all we know. I like the system the way it is, I mean it still only comes down to two teams making the superbowl no matter how many teams are in, or how good all the teams that make it are. Just because you have two 11-5 teams playing each other, it does not mean one team will not blow out the other, same for playing a 7-9 team, there are always a chance of upsets.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 12:12:29 PM
At 12/1/2010 9:53:55 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Providing a playoff berth for winning a division helps to keep rivalries alive and healthy even if the rivals all suck for an extended period.

This is true, you see how much rivalry games get hyped up?
Look at the
Steelers vs Ravens
and
Jets vs Patriots
How both those games are so hyped up like 2 weeks before they meet.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 2:21:13 PM
At 12/1/2010 10:53:17 AM, GrabYoSocks wrote:
11-5?
I'd rather see it playing a hated rival with all appropriate fervor, other things equal.

Wow! I would hate that! and wouldn't you if your team was that 11-5 team and a 7-9 team made it over yours?
That's not other things equal.

Incidentally, as a Vikings fan, I loved the hell out of an 8-8 Vikings going into the playoffs and whooping up on the favored Packers (in this particular instance the Vikings squeaked through a wild card because the whole conference sucked compared to the AFC, but it's analogous) in the first round a few years ago. Randy Moss mooning the crowd...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 4:17:36 PM
At 12/1/2010 12:12:29 PM, Loserboi wrote:
This is true, you see how much rivalry games get hyped up?
Look at the
Steelers vs Ravens
and
Jets vs Patriots
How both those games are so hyped up like 2 weeks before they meet.

Yes, these are both big games. The Jets and Pats are not only in the same division, but are tied for first place in the NFC. This game is as much about NFC dominance as it is for division rivalry. I'm a Jets fan and I had always considered the Dolphins to be our rivals anyhow, but I'm a-ok with hating the Pats too. The Ravens and Steelers are long time rivals and are both known to be very physical football teams. Their games are always hyped. This year they have the same record, and to be honest are about equal in terms of ability IMO so I'm very excited about both these games. Plus I think it will be one of these 4 teams in particular who makes the Superbowl so this is sort of a playoff preview.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 4:37:34 PM
At 12/1/2010 7:04:50 AM, GrabYoSocks wrote:

Your thoughts.....

This is an interesting question. On one hand I agree that the system is BS. Look at the NFC West for instance, led by the Rams and Seahawks who are both tied at the top with a .455 record. The other teams in their division (Cardinals and 49ers) are also doing absolutely terrible, so as someone mentioned, it's hard to say that the Rams (I believe they will win the division) have even earned the wins that they DID get considering they mostly play other terrible teams. When you look at a division like the NFC South, it seems 3/4 of them are among the best in the NFL yet obviously not all of them will get the opportunities that the Rams will. It's frustrating.

However I try to reconcile it like this: If a team is not good enough to top their division then they're probably not good enough to win the Superbowl. Remember it's not only about topping the division; you still have an opportunity for the Wild Card if you're that good of a team and have secured many wins.

Admittedly this could get fishy though; for instance I can see it being problematic this year. Suppose the Bears win the NFC North, the Giants in the East, the Falcons in the South and the Rams in the West. Suppose the Wild Card spots get taken by the Saints and Eagles. Well where does that leave the Packers? This is a perfectly plausible hypothetical and yet it completely leaves the Packers out in the dark while still giving the Rams a chance. Meanwhile, at this point I think the Packers can still legitimately be Superbowl contenders. So yeah. There will of course be instances where this is not fair. However despite this unfairness, I'm still probably right about not being able to win a Superbowl if you can't secure the division or Wild Card meaning it doesn't matter :P

Oh and Raggy's comments about creating rivalries for entertainment purposes is somewhat relevant too :)
President of DDO
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2010 3:19:02 PM
At 12/1/2010 4:17:36 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Yes, these are both big games. The Jets and Pats are not only in the same division, but are tied for first place in the NFC. This game is as much about NFC dominance as it is for division rivalry.

AFC?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2010 3:21:17 PM
Never mind I confused myself.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln