Jump to topic:

Hitting a QB is now a penalty!

GrabYoSocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 7:47:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Lions DT Ndamukong Suh was penalized for unnecessary roughness for his tackle of Bears QB Jay Cutler on this play. Official Ed Hochuli says that Suh's forearm hit Cutler in the back of the head, but on the replay this is obviously not the case. Also since Cutler was beyond the line of scrimmage and was not in the act of sliding to the ground, he is basically treated like a running back, and can be tackled like a running back.

The hit:

http://i.imgur.com...

The explanation:

? Kowalski: "The personal foul on Suh, exactly what did you call and why?"

? Hochuli: "I felt it was an unnecessary non-football act -- a blow to the back of the runner's helmet in the process of him going down."

? Kowalski: "Did it have anything to do with the fact he was a quarterback?"

? Hochuli: "Well, the quarterbacks receive more protection, but in that situation, no. In that situation, it was I felt an unnecessary blow, a non-football act as the runner was going to the ground."

? Kowalski: "If the contact had been in the shoulder or not in the head, would it still have been a penalty?"

? Hochuli: "I really would have to see it. I can't speculate on something else that I didn't see. But as I saw it, he hit him in the back of the helmet."

? Kowalski: "Can you describe why that it is an unnecessary (act)?"

? Hochuli: "When you tackle people, you come in, and you wrap up and come with your arms and things like that. I felt he delivered a blow to the back (of the) runner that happened to be the quarterback. That is why I was down there following it. He's my responsibility."

Suh and coach Jim Schwartz offered politically correct answers.

"I don't judge calls," Suh said. "It's not my job. My job is to go out there and play, get the ball out. It was a great opportunity to attack the ball. It just happened. Whatever. I was going for the ball, so that's all that matters."

Schwartz said he did not think officials were targeting Suh, who has a reputation as an aggressive player.

"No, I think the league is looking after quarterbacks," Schwartz said. "It had nothing to do with Suh."

Defensive end Cliff Avril also indicated he did not agree with the call.

"I personally think it was a bogus -- let's not speak on that," Avril said. "I don't really think it was a bad play, per se. The quarterback's a runner once he passes the line of scrimmage. But they called it, and it definitely shifted the momentum their way."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 8:02:51 AM
You know I actually watched the Bears/Lions game but happened to miss this call. Damn. I hate Jay Cutler so I would have liked to see it lol. I'm a fan of Suh's (who isn't?). I think the NFL is getting a little ridiculous -- I forgot his name but that one guy on the Steelers has been fined like 6 times. It doesn't make sense. Football is not only a GAME but a SPORT. If it was a game I could understand. But the fact that it's a sport shows it's about physical prowess and dominance. With soccer you demonstrate physical superiority in other ways (like ball control) -- with football it's strength, agility and a whole bunch of other elements that ultimately require you to be in that physical situation. Boxing is a sport and they get knocked the f*ck out all the time. Physical roughness is a part of the sport of football just as it's a part of the sport of boxing. Injuries are always a risk but that's a part of the game (hehe sport).
President of DDO
GrabYoSocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 8:16:34 AM
At 12/6/2010 8:02:51 AM, theLwerd wrote:
You know I actually watched the Bears/Lions game but happened to miss this call. Damn. I hate Jay Cutler so I would have liked to see it lol. I'm a fan of Suh's (who isn't?). I think the NFL is getting a little ridiculous -- I forgot his name but that one guy on the Steelers has been fined like 6 times. It doesn't make sense. Football is not only a GAME but a SPORT. If it was a game I could understand. But the fact that it's a sport shows it's about physical prowess and dominance. With soccer you demonstrate physical superiority in other ways (like ball control) -- with football it's strength, agility and a whole bunch of other elements that ultimately require you to be in that physical situation. Boxing is a sport and they get knocked the f*ck out all the time. Physical roughness is a part of the sport of football just as it's a part of the sport of boxing. Injuries are always a risk but that's a part of the game (hehe sport).

I understand that the NFL wants to protect their players from life threatening injuries, but Sue was penalized for his quote forearm to the head, hit on Cutler, while in the Steelers game the Steelers player Heath Miller, I think, was lit up by the Baltimore Defensive player Chris Carr and he was a defenseless player. There was no penalty for that hit. Miller suffered a concussion. Where is the consistency of the calls if the League is trying so hard to protect its players, and why is one hit a penalty which was a legal hit, and an illegal hit not a penalty.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 8:40:24 AM
At 12/6/2010 8:02:51 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Slight disagreement with the boxer analogy; I remember watching "Undisputed" with Snipes and Rhames. In the beginning, Rhames is asked how he will deal with being an "athlete" that is "removed from competition." Rhames' character says: "I'm not an athlete; I'm a gladiator... people play [football, baseball, etc]; no one plays boxing." I think there is a valid distinction between sports and fighting. I don't consider Tiger Woods and Tank Abbot as having the same profession :)

As far as football is concerned, I am getting extremely pissed off at the reffing lately. The Pack had two outrageous calls against them yesterday that would have certainly costed them the game if they had occurred against a good team. This trend of horrible calls has to come to a stop. The Pack would be tied for first place if it wasn't for the worst call of all time that gave the Bears their first game against the Lions, and I didn't see this latest one but I bet it wasn't much better. I really hope some kind of documentary is made about the horrible reffing this year and I would like to see some actions taken against the refs who made these calls.
no comment
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 12:15:36 PM
these penalties are the worse... I for one hate how QBs get special treatment. They are players too, there should not be 15 yard penalty for roughing him up. The NFL is turning into a pansy sport. Just saying when you have 5 humongous linemen making sure you don't get hurt, their should be no penalty if someone actually hits you
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 11:34:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If the QB runs with the ball he should man up and expect to be hit or tackled (sliding is for sissies). BTW, This is the opinion of an offensive lineman, sorry cubes.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 9:32:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/27/2010 11:34:23 PM, twsurber wrote:
If the QB runs with the ball he should man up and expect to be hit or tackled (sliding is for sissies)

Sliding is legit, but you should get spotted conservatively, and you take the risk of not sliding in time.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.