Jump to topic:

Durant to the Warriors!

Axon85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 7:18:33 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Kevin Durant just signed with the Golden State Warriors!
What do you guys think about this decision?
Is this a cowardly move?
How does this compare to Lebron joining Miami?
How does this change the NBA?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 7:19:26 PM
Pundits like Steve Smith are ripping Durant for joining the team that stood in the way of his championship several times. I agree with commentators like Chris Broussard who compare this to LeBron leaving Cleveland. Yes, Durant has a much better team with OKC than LeBron had in Cleveland a few years ago. But at the end of the day, LeBron left to pursue a championship - plain and simple. He went to the team (with other star players) that he felt would best give him that opportunity.

Similarly, Durant is joining the team to best provide him that opportunity. I don't think it's a "cowardly" move, I think it's a pragmatic one. At the end of the day, Durant (and every other athlete) has an obligation to themselves. Why should they have loyalty first and foremost to anyone else, when teams have no problem selling or trading players when it suits their interests? I don't blame Durant for acting on his best interest. I think the Warriors will undoubtedly make it to the Finals next year and I can't imagine who might possibly beat them - or even provide strong competition.
President of DDO
816godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 3:55:02 AM
At 7/5/2016 7:19:26 PM, Danielle wrote:
Pundits like Steve Smith are ripping Durant for joining the team that stood in the way of his championship several times. I agree with commentators like Chris Broussard who compare this to LeBron leaving Cleveland. Yes, Durant has a much better team with OKC than LeBron had in Cleveland a few years ago. But at the end of the day, LeBron left to pursue a championship - plain and simple. He went to the team (with other star players) that he felt would best give him that opportunity.

Similarly, Durant is joining the team to best provide him that opportunity. I don't think it's a "cowardly" move, I think it's a pragmatic one. At the end of the day, Durant (and every other athlete) has an obligation to themselves. Why should they have loyalty first and foremost to anyone else, when teams have no problem selling or trading players when it suits their interests? I don't blame Durant for acting on his best interest. I think the Warriors will undoubtedly make it to the Finals next year and I can't imagine who might possibly beat them - or even provide strong competition.

This situation isn't anything like the LeBron decision. When LeBron left Cleveland, he joined a Miami team that wasn't the super team yet. Chris Bosh wouldn't sign with them until two days after LeBron's decision and the year before, Miami went 47-35. But when KD signed with the Warriors, they already had Draymond, Klay, and Steph, and they just broke the NBA' s record for the best season.
And also, I think this was the lazy move by KD. Last year, Durant and the Thunder were up 3-1 against the Warriors, then chocked the series away. Instead of working hard and improving to overcome that obstacle and win a ring that was earned, he jumped on the Warriors's bandwagon and will probably win a ring with a little amount of effort. Sure you've got a ring, but will fans and analysts in 50 years say it was well earned? No.
This will also mean the NBA will be more one-sided. Now, we have a super team in the west no one will be able to beat. So next year, it's pretty much guaranteed the finals will be GSW vs ???, which just means the only conference worth watching is the east.
Finally, it sets a new terrible norm. Instead of working hard and improving, star players will probably got to the best team in the pool. This will lead to 4-5 super teams, and the rest a terrible.
While it's his choice, and he can decide whatever he wants, I think it's bad for his career and his legacy
Joey888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 9:53:28 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
This is a bad idea. Having four stars on one team will not make a great tam. It will make a terrible team, because here is what happens: all of these stars will try to show off and think that the are the best. Now they leave the rest of the team out. No teamwork there.
Joseph
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 5:15:31 AM
It's a terrible move, not only cowardly, but it hurts the NBA product as well. I understand the NBA has always been a dynasty league, whether it was the Celtics in the 60s and the 70th, the Pistons Lakers and Celtics in the 80s, the Bulls in the 90s, the Lakers and Spurs in the 2000s, or the Heat Cavs and now Warriors in the 2010s. The problem is that you have 28 (Cavs Lakers and maybe Spurs are the only legit contenders) other franchises that have no point in looking forward to this upcoming season, since they're seen as having little to no chance at winning the NBA title.
Ashton
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 5:17:19 PM
At 7/12/2016 5:15:31 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
It's a terrible move, not only cowardly, but it hurts the NBA product as well. I understand the NBA has always been a dynasty league, whether it was the Celtics in the 60s and the 70th, the Pistons Lakers and Celtics in the 80s, the Bulls in the 90s, the Lakers and Spurs in the 2000s, or the Heat Cavs and now Warriors in the 2010s. The problem is that you have 28 (Cavs Lakers and maybe Spurs are the only legit contenders) other franchises that have no point in looking forward to this upcoming season, since they're seen as having little to no chance at winning the NBA title.

Why is it cowardly to put oneself in the best position to win? I can understand the logic that a great player is ready, willing and able to put "any team on his back" and win them to a championship. But we know that's not possible in a team sport. I can't think of a championship winning team off the top of my head that had only 1 great player. Granted OKC arguably had two (with Westbrook). But 3 strong players seems to be the magic number, preferably 3 strong and an additional solid one plus a great 6th man. I agree that Golden State now has 5 strong players including 2 huge superstars. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will have chemistry. I look forward to seeing how this plays out I guess...
President of DDO
KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 6:32:00 AM
At 7/13/2016 5:17:19 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/12/2016 5:15:31 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:

Why is it cowardly to put oneself in the best position to win? I can understand the logic that a great player is ready, willing and able to put "any team on his back" and win them to a championship. But we know that's not possible in a team sport. I can't think of a championship winning team off the top of my head that had only 1 great player. Granted OKC arguably had two (with Westbrook). But 3 strong players seems to be the magic number, preferably 3 strong and an additional solid one plus a great 6th man. I agree that Golden State now has 5 strong players including 2 huge superstars. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will have chemistry. I look forward to seeing how this plays out I guess...

If you're a liberal, which most Bay area residents are, you should hate this. Durant made the rich richer. Period. That's against liberal ideals.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 2:33:00 PM
At 7/14/2016 6:32:00 AM, KendoRe2 wrote:
Durant made the rich richer. Period. That's against liberal ideals.

Mmk. You just described every professional athlete.
President of DDO
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 11:09:22 PM
At 7/4/2016 7:18:33 PM, Axon85 wrote:
Kevin Durant just signed with the Golden State Warriors!
What do you guys think about this decision?
Is this a cowardly move?
How does this compare to Lebron joining Miami?
How does this change the NBA?

I think he could have tried to win in OKC, but I guess he was desperate.
Not Really

Lebron's was worse in my opinion. Lebron didn't just leave, he said "I will take my talents to South Beach" That is just plain arrogance in my opinion.

The NBA is trash now. There will be no competition. I predict a Warriors and Cavs matchup again, unless Westbrook goes to Boston. Hopefully the Bulls or Raptors win as well.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 12:08:19 AM
At 7/11/2016 9:53:28 PM, Joey888 wrote:
This is a bad idea. Having four stars on one team will not make a great tam. It will make a terrible team, because here is what happens: all of these stars will try to show off and think that the are the best. Now they leave the rest of the team out. No teamwork there.

Normally this will be the case but the warriors are a very unselfish team and Durante is a fairly unselfish player.
Joey888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 12:14:08 AM
At 7/19/2016 12:08:19 AM, mc9 wrote:

Normally this will be the case but the warriors are a very unselfish team and Durante is a fairly unselfish player.

If they are so unselfish, and if there are so many star players on the team, why did they lose this year's Finals?
Joseph
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 12:18:38 AM
At 7/19/2016 12:14:08 AM, Joey888 wrote:

If they are so unselfish, and if there are so many star players on the team, why did they lose this year's Finals?

Because the cava did better.

But there are articles explaining this, some reasons are...

The Warriors got tense, they didn't play their game, they started playing more selfishly and tight,pretty much the opposite of how they had a 73 win season. Andre Iguodala's back stiffened, Curry's knee wasn't in top shape, Draymond Green got suspended game 5.
Joey888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 12:22:03 AM
At 7/19/2016 12:18:38 AM, mc9 wrote:

The Warriors got tense, they didn't play their game, they started playing more selfishly and tight,pretty much the opposite of how they had a 73 win season. Andre Iguodala's back stiffened, Curry's knee wasn't in top shape, Draymond Green got suspended game 5.

But if a team is really good, they should be playing well all the time. To be a good team means that you can adapt to the situation quickly.
Joseph
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 12:30:34 AM
At 7/19/2016 12:22:03 AM, Joey888 wrote:
At 7/19/2016 12:18:38 AM, mc9 wrote:

But if a team is really good, they should be playing well all the time. To be a good team means that you can adapt to the situation quickly.

And Andrew bogut got hurt, but to be fair, the caves didn't adapt to the situation last year.

Aand the Warriors will be even better with KD so maybe now,