Jump to topic:

Athletes Drug Policy

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 8:52:46 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I'm talking like weed, not steroids. In cities, states or countries where pot (or other recreational drugs) are legal, should athletes be permitted to do them without retribution from their employer, i.e. team? In other words, does the employer have the right to drug test them and hold them accountable for something that is perceived to be negative (or dangerous) even if it was legal when and where they did it?

Or the infamous Michael Phelps smoking weed fiasco -- should it have been a big deal? Should athletes be held to a higher standard (pun intended) to protect them and their own + team's branding image, and because they are role models in the public eye? Or are they just people who should be allowed to do whatever they want in their off-time?
President of DDO
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 2:55:44 PM
I don't see how weed gives you an advantage so I don't see what the big deal is. Just one more way the NFL needs to be updated.
#BlackLivesMatter
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 4:42:30 PM
Some of it is overblown in my opinion. A lot of times star athletes do drugs like marijuana because of the stress and pressure from the media and their professions.
Ashton
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2016 3:49:05 PM
There was a time in this country when your body was considered something to be protected by your right to privacy. Now if you so much as throw around a ball in a kid's sport or sit at a desk answering phones you can be subjected contesting of your bodily chemistry. It is barbaric.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 1:17:19 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 7/22/2016 2:55:44 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
I don't see how weed gives you an advantage so I don't see what the big deal is. Just one more way the NFL needs to be updated.

Weed can negate pain which would make sports easier.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 1:51:40 AM
At 8/25/2016 1:17:19 AM, mc9 wrote:

So aspirin should be banned?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 3:37:30 AM
At 8/25/2016 1:51:40 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/25/2016 1:17:19 AM, mc9 wrote:

So aspirin should be banned?

Fair enough
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 12:57:29 PM
As an aside... It definitely gives those teams in Colorado and Washington a huge advantage in attracting free agents! It will be interesting to see how this shakes out over the next couple of years but, I'd imagine the nba and nfl will keep their position consistent, meaning, it will stay on the banned substance list. If my guy John Gordon is to be suspended, one can't rightfully argue that it is ok for Vonn Miller to show up positive with no consequence.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 12:59:29 PM
But it isn't the team, it's the league/governing agency that sets the ban.

At 7/20/2016 8:52:46 PM, Danielle wrote:
I'm talking like weed, not steroids. In cities, states or countries where pot (or other recreational drugs) are legal, should athletes be permitted to do them without retribution from their employer, i.e. team? In other words, does the employer have the right to drug test them and hold them accountable for something that is perceived to be negative (or dangerous) even if it was legal when and where they did it?

Or the infamous Michael Phelps smoking weed fiasco -- should it have been a big deal? Should athletes be held to a higher standard (pun intended) to protect them and their own + team's branding image, and because they are role models in the public eye? Or are they just people who should be allowed to do whatever they want in their off-time?
mbaran
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:59:40 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I think that athletes shouldn't be allowed to use drugs no matter of the situation. I believe this because athletes are role models for children and people throughout the nation. If they use drugs, even if it is legal where they live, that sends the message to children that those drugs are ok to use if some one they look up to is using them. If a kids role model is some one from another state where a drug is legal and that athlete uses it then the kid, that lives in a state where the drug isn't legal, might want to use that drug too in order to be like their role model.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 1:44:13 AM
At 9/20/2016 3:59:40 PM, mbaran wrote:
I think that athletes shouldn't be allowed to use drugs no matter of the situation. I believe this because athletes are role models for children and people throughout the nation. If they use drugs, even if it is legal where they live, that sends the message to children that those drugs are ok to use if some one they look up to is using them. If a kids role model is some one from another state where a drug is legal and that athlete uses it then the kid, that lives in a state where the drug isn't legal, might want to use that drug too in order to be like their role model.

What drugs should/shouldn't athletes be allowed to use? Weed, caffeine, nicotine, painkillers, alcohol? All of them, or just certain ones?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 2:26:20 AM
At 9/21/2016 1:44:13 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

What drugs should/shouldn't athletes be allowed to use? Weed, caffeine, nicotine, painkillers, alcohol? All of them, or just certain ones?

I'm an advocate for drugs of all kinds to be illegal. But, it's not really specific to athletics.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 2:52:13 AM
At 9/21/2016 2:26:20 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I'm an advocate for drugs of all kinds to be illegal. But, it's not really specific to athletics.

So you want to create prohibition for coffee, alcohol, and Tylenol.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 3:00:48 AM
At 9/21/2016 2:52:13 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 9/21/2016 2:26:20 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Lol. I guess I should specify... lethal drugs, for the most part.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 11:01:42 AM
At 9/21/2016 3:00:48 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Lol. I guess I should specify... lethal drugs, for the most part.

Most all drugs are lethal depending on how much you take. 20 aspirin is all you need to commit suicide. The only drug I know of that is impossible to kill somebody with is thc (cannabis).
Beliefs in a nutshell: