Jump to topic:

Gender inequality at the Olympic games

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 8:58:27 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I have started an identical thread in the society forum as this forum is usually dead and I don't recall ever posting here before. However the topic in question is definitely sport related so I thought I'd post it here as well.

Despite significant improvements since the first Olympic games in 1896 when women made up less than 5% of competitors at the Olympic games a significant difference still exists. Despite the IOC (International Olympic Committee) publicly supporting a policy of gender equality women still only make up 45% of the total number of competitors at the Olympics and compete in 137 events while men make up 55% of the total number of competitors at the Olympics and compete in 169 events.

The IOC gives individual sports federations a set number of medals and allows the federation's to choose which events to include in the Olympics. Many sports such as boxing (10 events for men, 3 for women) and wrestling (12 events for men, 6 for women) choose to have more events for men than women. This in my opinion is blatant discrimination on the grounds of gender. If I was in charge of the IOC I would make it mandatory that each sport has an equal number of events for men and women. I see no reason to allow sports the opportunity to discriminate on the grounds of gender when the stated goal of the organization is to achieve gender equality at the Olympics. Unless it cracks down on sports that discriminate against female competitors such as wrestling and boxing the gender gap in the Olympics and sport in general will remain.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 8:32:41 PM
At 8/18/2016 8:58:27 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

We've come a long way... Does it need to be precisely 50/50 in order to be equal enough? I guess there's just something to be said about the fact that we are talking here about something that is inherently unequal - men are far more athletic than women, therefore it makes sense that men would dominate the world of sports. It's not like we're talking about the wage gap or something where one would expect total equality.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 10:15:38 PM
At 9/4/2016 8:32:41 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/18/2016 8:58:27 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

We've come a long way... Does it need to be precisely 50/50 in order to be equal enough? I guess there's just something to be said about the fact that we are talking here about something that is inherently unequal - men are far more athletic than women, therefore it makes sense that men would dominate the world of sports. It's not like we're talking about the wage gap or something where one would expect total equality.

Of course complete equality and a 50/50 split is needed. It cannot be an excuse to justify discrimination because it's supposedly not that bad, it's still discrimination.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 1:13:20 AM
At 9/4/2016 10:15:38 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Of course complete equality and a 50/50 split is needed. It cannot be an excuse to justify discrimination because it's supposedly not that bad, it's still discrimination.

Ok but men and women are not equal. Men are far stronger and more agile than women are, because we have a more muscular physique. Therefore it is natural to assume that physically-competitive events are going to favor men over women, since that is what we are designed to do. If this was about an intellectually-competitive event, then that would be a completely different story, because there are no advantages to either men or women when it comes to intellect.

I personally don't think women are as entertaining in sports, either. When I see Aaron Rodgers throw a 60 yard pass and hit a guy on the numbers, or ODB making a spectacular one -handed grab backwards while traveling at almost 20 mph into the endzone, or Jordan soaring through the air and dunking a basketball from the free throw line, etc., I know that women aren't capable of these feats and it's no wonder that their sports aren't even close to as entertaining or profitable as men's. I watched a women's UFC fight recently and it sucked, neither one of them were strong-enough to knock the other one out and they just kept landing useless shots until time thankfully ran out. Not that no woman is capable of a knock-out, of course, but it just isn't as likely.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 1:21:49 PM
I can't have a baby and was eligable for the draft. That's sexist.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...