Athletics in public schools

m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 1:38:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/2/2011 1:27:18 PM, twsurber wrote:
I'm interested to hear the pros and cons from the crowd.

High schools/College?
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 1:15:48 AM
con: schools funnel too much money into athletics (especially football/baseball/basketball) at the expense of other programs.

i really can't imagine schools without athletics though lol.... people would be even more out of shape than they already are. plus where would all the pro teams get their players from!?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 1:21:15 AM
At 2/3/2011 12:46:48 AM, Loserboi wrote:
It keeps kids productive and out of trouble

No...just no.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 11:53:06 AM
I don't see any cons they promote
Leadership

Not necessarily, you could be one of the "not as important" people who doesn't take charge and suck.

Teamwork

Individual sports such as tennis

Hardwork

mmk yeah

Dedication

mmk yeah

Self-Esteem

Or if you suck it will kill your self-esteem

ahahahahhahaha no
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 1:50:42 PM

That's why there's gunfights and stabbings at Saginaw games!!!

As for the topic of money funneled to the other sports, that's because they get more money back from tickets sold, concessions, etc.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 1:56:44 PM
At 2/3/2011 1:15:48 AM, belle wrote:
i really can't imagine schools without athletics though lol.... people would be even more out of shape than they already are. plus where would all the pro teams get their players from!?

The out of shape people are the ones that don't play sports.
If high schools didn't have teams, the main players would just play through local leagues/AAU.

And they would get them from Europe/Asia/Mexico (baseball) like they already do.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 2:34:05 PM
con: schools funnel too much money into athletics (especially football/baseball/basketball) at the expense of other programs.

In most high schools, at least where I live, schools give very little money to athletics. Most of the money that goes into athletics is from an athletic booster club that operates within the school; all the money in the booster clubs comes from fundraisers and parents support.

And in colleges, football and basketball programs are often self-sustaining and help fund other, non-profit sports.
When Reach fell, I came.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 3:36:26 PM
I personally think it's beneficial since it can help keep kids in shape and give those who actually enjoy sports something fun to do. I found that in my highschool though there were too many sports programs and not enough other things. Not being the athletic type it was always hard for me to participate in school beyond going to class every day.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 11:20:42 PM
At 2/6/2011 3:36:26 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I personally think it's beneficial since it can help keep kids in shape and give those who actually enjoy sports something fun to do. I found that in my highschool though there were too many sports programs and not enough other things. Not being the athletic type it was always hard for me to participate in school beyond going to class every day.

There are clubs for like everything... join one of those
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 11:32:12 PM

Ya I think most football and basketball programs create money for the sports no one goes to watch. For example no one at my school liked to watch swimming but its expensive to keep that pool going year round, while football brought in more than enough money to sustain itself and share money with other programs.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 11:42:55 PM
At 2/6/2011 11:32:12 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Ya I think most football and basketball programs create money for the sports no one goes to watch. For example no one at my school liked to watch swimming but its expensive to keep that pool going year round, while football brought in more than enough money to sustain itself and share money with other programs.

LOL rich schools having a pool. For swim class at my school, you had to leave school walk like 6 blocks to the public pool and then walk back to school after you finish to make it back for your next class.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 11:51:34 PM
At 2/6/2011 11:20:42 PM, Loserboi wrote:

There wasn't in my high school.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 11:58:45 PM
At 2/6/2011 11:51:34 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

wtf kind of backward arse high school has football teams but no clubs? Clubs do not even take up money... a teacher just sponsors you, you have meetings about w.e in their classrooms during lunch or w/e and that's it.

Every high school has gotta have some clubs.
Ethnic clubs (chinese, korean, Black student unions, spanish)
Gay straight alliance
Academic Clubs... math clubs, writers club, science clubs
Anime club
Volunteer clubs... key club, me and my friend started the "Random acts of kindness club" for god's sake...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 12:55:20 AM
At 2/6/2011 11:58:45 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 2/6/2011 11:51:34 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

wtf kind of backward arse high school has football teams but no clubs? Clubs do not even take up money... a teacher just sponsors you, you have meetings about w.e in their classrooms during lunch or w/e and that's it.

Every high school has gotta have some clubs.
Ethnic clubs (chinese, korean, Black student unions, spanish)
Gay straight alliance
Academic Clubs... math clubs, writers club, science clubs
Anime club
Volunteer clubs... key club, me and my friend started the "Random acts of kindness club" for god's sake...

I don't know, but they seriously didn't really have anything like that. Only cool thing I ever got to do when I was in highschool was travel to Europe and that was because of my German classes and the students had to pay for it all themselves. Even our prom sucked. What a waste of a night that was.