Jump to topic:

Fair Weathered Fans

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 10:53:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Growing up a sports lover in New York City, I went to a lot of games (Yankees, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Mets, Liberty... WNBA lol shut up). As such I inevitably became a huge fan of these teams as I followed them throughout my childhood and even into my adult life. However being a fan means rooting for a particular group amongst other things. Am I a "fan" of these players just because they got traded or sold to the teams whose stadium just so happens to be in the same city that I live in? That seems really retarded.

Why does Eli Manning deserve me as a fan? I think he's a tool. Why is it okay that I rooted for Johnny Damon in 2009 as a Yankee but hated him in 2005 when he was a Red Sock? People say "fair weathered fans" are those who only root for or happen to like teams that are winning. However wouldn't a legitimate sports fan appreciate the very best athletes and performances regardless of what team they played for?

I don't think winning should be the only reason to be a fan of a team or player but I digress. I also don't think I could ever let go and NOT be a New York fan lol... but hometown loyalties aside, I can most definitely establish other secret favorites or teams I really love regardless of their success or lack thereof. I'm currently a huge closet Saints fan for one. I love their coach, I love their players, I love their style, I love their attitude, I love their "vibe..."
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 11:07:32 AM
At 2/8/2011 10:53:23 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm currently a huge closet Saints fan for one. I love their coach, I love their players, I love their style, I love their attitude, I love their "vibe..."

You can like other teams too...

just not the cowboys, redskins, or eagles...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 11:46:25 AM
Growing up a sports lover in New York City, I went to a lot of games (Yankees, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Mets, Liberty... WNBA lol shut up). As such I inevitably became a huge fan of these teams as I followed them throughout my childhood and even into my adult life. However being a fan means rooting for a particular group amongst other things. Am I a "fan" of these players just because they got traded or sold to the teams whose stadium just so happens to be in the same city that I live in? That seems really retarded.

Why does Eli Manning deserve me as a fan? I think he's a tool. Why is it okay that I rooted for Johnny Damon in 2009 as a Yankee but hated him in 2005 when he was a Red Sock? People say "fair weathered fans" are those who only root for or happen to like teams that are winning. However wouldn't a legitimate sports fan appreciate the very best athletes and performances regardless of what team they played for?

I don't think winning should be the only reason to be a fan of a team or player but I digress. I also don't think I could ever let go and NOT be a New York fan lol... but hometown loyalties aside, I can most definitely establish other secret favorites or teams I really love regardless of their success or lack thereof. I'm currently a huge closet Saints fan for one. I love their coach, I love their players, I love their style, I love their attitude, I love their "vibe..."

fandom is a form (for many, including myself) of nationalism (but rather then being pro-your-nation, it is pro-your-team). As a parent, would you not root for your child to do the best they could in every subject (both academically and extra-curricularly)? Or if their grades were slipping and they were not at the top of their class, would you ditch them and start rooting for other kids and other teams? No, while a true fan (of sportsmanship) wants to see everyone play well, they want their player/team (such as every parents wants their child) to rise to the top and overcome the challanges.

You could also compare it to being a fair weather friend, as oppose to a true friend. Would you be a friend only when the other person is having a great life, and ditch them as soon as things get hard for them? Or would you be their to help them out.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 11:46:53 AM
P.S.

Another year where the Bills are undefeated in the post season, GO BILLS!
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 11:49:45 AM
... I'm currently a huge closet Saints fan for one. I love their coach, I love their players, I love their style, I love their attitude, I love their "vibe..."

BANDWAGON JUMPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no comment
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 11:52:17 AM
At 2/8/2011 11:46:53 AM, OreEle wrote:
P.S.

Yeah because they were so undefeated in the post season during the '90s...
no comment
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 11:53:07 AM
At 2/8/2011 11:52:17 AM, Caramel wrote:
P.S.

Totally different team now.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 2:11:35 PM
At 2/8/2011 11:53:07 AM, OreEle wrote:
P.S.

Yeah, mainly that you don't have a superstar quarterback and runningback.
no comment
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 2:51:22 PM
At 2/8/2011 2:11:35 PM, Caramel wrote:
P.S.

Yeah, mainly that you don't have a superstar anything.

Fixed.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 2:58:33 PM

This is why you need to become a tennis fan :P No teams, just root for your favorite players.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 3:43:58 PM
At 2/8/2011 2:51:22 PM, zGodMode wrote:
P.S.

Fixed.

Hey, we have better coloured uniforms then any team!
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 4:08:09 PM
I personally think you should become a steelers fan, but hey like whoever you desire. I am not a bandwagon jumper I used to live in Pittsburgh so if thats what anyone thinks when reading don't even bother sayin it lol
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 4:58:47 PM
At 2/8/2011 3:43:58 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 2/8/2011 2:51:22 PM, zGodMode wrote:
P.S.

Fixed.

Hey, we have better coloured uniforms then any team!

Blue + Yellow is better.
Powder Blue + Vegas Gold is the best.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 8:02:53 PM
At 2/8/2011 4:58:47 PM, zGodMode wrote:
Blue + Yellow is better.
Powder Blue + Vegas Gold is the best.

Yellow is an ugly color on a uniform. Gold is okay though (preferably with black). I like the Titans' colors the best. Which version of blue do they currently use for their home uniform?

Light: http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com...

Dark: http://t0.gstatic.com...

White: http://www.jerseysportmall.com...

They're all pretty sexy anyhow.
President of DDO