Using real info on online profiles

What_Does_It_Do
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 7:05:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Posted this as a debate but it was suggested it'd be better as a forum topic:

People who give factual info about themselves when registering on sites (esp Debate.org) are crazy.

I use fake info as much as I can online. Profiles on most sites last for years if not forever. Why would any sane person put enough information down about themselves so that some disgruntled person at any point in the future can snoop through their details and messages and find out where they live, where they work, their hobbies, the name of their kids and their pets, where they went to school, sexual orientation, race, religion, politics, their photo (!!!), their email/facebook/aim. I think people who use real info on any online profile unless it's absolutely necessary (eg providing an email to get a confirmation message) are insane. Have fun discussing!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 7:09:14 PM
Paranoid much? I can understand doing that on some sites such as facebook(where I have received death threats), but on a site like this it's relatively safe.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 7:13:54 PM
Who cares if some anonymous user is single, straight, Latino, etc.

They don't have your real name, your passwords, your criminal record, your social security number, date of birth, email, etc. (At least based on the info I provided on my profile.)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 7:17:18 PM
At 2/12/2011 7:05:35 PM, What_Does_It_Do wrote:
Posted this as a debate but it was suggested it'd be better as a forum topic:

People who give factual info about themselves when registering on sites (esp Debate.org) are crazy.

I use fake info as much as I can online. Profiles on most sites last for years if not forever. Why would any sane person put enough information down about themselves so that some disgruntled person at any point in the future can snoop through their details and messages and find out where they live, where they work, their hobbies, the name of their kids and their pets, where they went to school, sexual orientation, race, religion, politics, their photo (!!!), their email/facebook/aim. I think people who use real info on any online profile unless it's absolutely necessary (eg providing an email to get a confirmation message) are insane. Have fun discussing!
There's people like Albert Gonzalez in the world.
It doesn't matter how hard you try to save your information.
What_Does_It_Do
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 7:22:00 PM
lol I knew someone would claim paranoia. This is a common viewpoint of people who've used the internet for a while and formed the complacent idea that they somehow know who is online and who isn't. Consider this. If I wrote your phone number onto a public toilet wall in a city, what are the chances you'd get a few creepy calls? Now imagine writing your viewpoints, opinions, rants, comebacks and personal details permanently on a billboard that hundreds, thousands and potentially millions of people can access. You've already experienced stalkers on Facebook, what happens if one of those people finds out your Debate.org profile name? Not so paranoid now, is it? And the more sites you register with, the larger the footprint you leave and the easier it is to piece together your life. Hell, if I know someone's Facebook name, I can find out who their friends are. What if one of your Facebook friends owes money to a loan shark? Suddenly he has your name too. Hell, you can get stalked by someone you don't even know, how many cases have we had of politicians getting shot by people that have never met them, just read their viewpoints?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 7:25:01 PM
At 2/12/2011 7:13:54 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

They don't have your real name, your passwords, your criminal record, your social security number, date of birth, email, etc. (At least based on the info I provided on my profile.)

date of birth i put in case you guys want to send me a card or gift, and email is my secondary one, and i have never had a prob. Besides, you're gonna need some way of getting in touch with me to send the card or gift.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 7:29:10 PM
At 2/12/2011 7:22:00 PM, What_Does_It_Do wrote:
lol I knew someone would claim paranoia. This is a common viewpoint of people who've used the internet for a while and formed the complacent idea that they somehow know who is online and who isn't. Consider this. If I wrote your phone number onto a public toilet wall in a city, what are the chances you'd get a few creepy calls? Now imagine writing your viewpoints, opinions, rants, comebacks and personal details permanently on a billboard that hundreds, thousands and potentially millions of people can access. You've already experienced stalkers on Facebook, what happens if one of those people finds out your Debate.org profile name? Not so paranoid now, is it? And the more sites you register with, the larger the footprint you leave and the easier it is to piece together your life. Hell, if I know someone's Facebook name, I can find out who their friends are. What if one of your Facebook friends owes money to a loan shark? Suddenly he has your name too. Hell, you can get stalked by someone you don't even know, how many cases have we had of politicians getting shot by people that have never met them, just read their viewpoints?
I'm almost certain that nobody wants to stalk the good majority of the people on this website.
Except Korashk.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 8:12:59 PM
At 2/12/2011 7:22:00 PM, What_Does_It_Do wrote:
lol I knew someone would claim paranoia.

People who are transparent on the internet are simply transparent by nature. I have been on the internet since Mosaic and Lynx, always under my actual name.

The main reason people are anon is simply because they do not have the EQ to deal with RL and thus act out on the internet as a release.

That being said, there are many valid reasons for anon activity which goes all the way back to royalty dressing as beggars to converse with the populace.
What_Does_It_Do
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 8:25:57 PM

Maybe Sean, but I already had your name, picture, music and state in under an hour. Imagine what a professional stalker could do in a few days.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 9:20:47 PM
At 2/12/2011 8:25:57 PM, What_Does_It_Do wrote:

Maybe Sean, but I already had your name, picture, music and state in under an hour. Imagine what a professional stalker could do in a few days.

I love how you skip over my example of Albert Gonzalez.
It doesn't matter how hard you try, if a pro stalker is after you, they'll have whatever they want.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 9:33:01 PM

It took you an hour to get his name, picture, and state. (music is irrelevant)

I got all that in about 20 seconds.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 9:35:46 PM
At 2/12/2011 9:33:01 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

I mean really... you can get all that from his DDO page... how did it take you an HOUR.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 9:58:57 PM
At 2/12/2011 9:35:46 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
At 2/12/2011 9:33:01 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

I mean really... you can get all that from his DDO page... how did it take you an HOUR.

His picture is of an alien.
Your argument is invalid.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 10:01:25 PM
Yea, I was going to going to say...if a stalker really wanted to stalk somebody they would have gotten basic info much sooner than an hour.
What_Does_It_Do
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 10:08:43 PM
At 2/12/2011 9:20:47 PM, zGodMode wrote:

It doesn't matter how hard you try, if a pro stalker is after you, they'll have whatever they want.

Buddy, there were 3 replies in 10 mins in a forum open to anyone, not to mention the messages afterwards. I love the way you assume just because I didn't reply directly you had somehow scored some kind of point. I don't even know who the hell Albert Gonzalez is, I assume he is a pro stalker and you are trying to state that if someone is out to get you, they'll get you no matter what. Let me ask you this, do you lock the door on the way out of the house, did you know thats a complete waste of time since if someone wanted to break in they could just steal a tank and roll right on through?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 10:10:13 PM

Maybe Sean, but I already had your name,

LMAO. There's probably tens of thousands of Seans in the U.S. and thousands of Seans in Nevada.

picture,

Yeah, the side of my head, not that it matters anyway.

. music

Useless.

and state in under an hour. Imagine what a professional stalker could do in a few days.

Uh, yeah, the very fact that I'm even on the internet gives them access to my IP address so it's really useless trying to hide the rest.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
What_Does_It_Do
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 10:17:03 PM
At 2/12/2011 10:10:13 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

LMAO. There's probably tens of thousands of Seans in the U.S. and thousands of Seans in Nevada.

picture,

. music

Useless.

and state in under an hour. Imagine what a professional stalker could do in a few days.

Uh, yeah, the very fact that I'm even on the internet gives them access to my IP address so it's really useless trying to hide the rest.

Actualy SS, I have your last name too. I just didn't post it.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 10:17:37 PM
At 2/12/2011 10:08:43 PM, What_Does_It_Do wrote:
At 2/12/2011 9:20:47 PM, zGodMode wrote:

Buddy, there were 3 replies in 10 mins in a forum open to anyone, not to mention the messages afterwards. I love the way you assume just because I didn't reply directly you had somehow scored some kind of point. I don't even know who the hell Albert Gonzalez is, I assume he is a pro stalker and you are trying to state that if someone is out to get you, they'll get you no matter what. Let me ask you this, do you lock the door on the way out of the house, did you know thats a complete waste of time since if someone wanted to break in they could just steal a tank and roll right on through?

He stole CC/Bank Account numbers + PIN's from thousands of people while working for the FBI. My point is that if you're going to worry about someone stalking you on Debate.org, you need to chillax and live life.

Also, I live in farmer town USA with the most obnoxious dog in the world. Nobody has ever/will ever attempt to break into my house.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 10:18:25 PM
At 2/12/2011 10:17:03 PM, What_Does_It_Do wrote:

picture,

. music

Useless.

Actualy SS, I have your last name too. I just didn't post it.

Look.
NOBODY CARES.
Also, I'm not your buddy, guy.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 10:50:47 PM

picture,

. music

Useless.

lol yeah this was all done by an alien. In an HOUR.

In about 10 min I got...
First and Last name Se-- So--
Current City, State
Hometown City, State
What you look like at 13, and what you look like at 22
What your cousin R**** looks like
I know now that you have a pretty cool bunny
And that you have a SOTD t-shirt

and even with that it would still rather difficult to actually find the exact house you live in. Especially if your phone number is un-registered or you don't even have a house phone.

So W_D_I_D does have a point. It is really easy to get someone's information.

But he forgets about some of the smaller things that zgod touched on. For example breaking into zgod's house is pretty much impossible. Cricket will fvcking bark you to death.

Yes, their are those people out their that would go to lengths to get your information and stalk you and possibly go kill you. But their are 6.67 billion people in the world... What are the odds it would happen to you (knock on wood*).
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 10:56:16 PM
Any info I put on the interwebz is open for business. I used a completely different set of passwords for things I want to keep 'secure', like internet banking, paypal, etc.

Anything you can find out about me, I'm not trying to hide.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 11:03:10 PM
At 2/12/2011 10:31:49 PM, What_Does_It_Do wrote:
Look.
NOBODY CARES.

Yep, these statements are all verified on on-topic

Your words.
They mean nothing.
What_Does_It_Do
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 11:12:52 PM
At 2/12/2011 11:03:10 PM, zGodMode wrote:
Look.
NOBODY CARES.

Your words.
They mean nothing.

If you say so, MM
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 11:15:01 PM
At 2/12/2011 11:12:52 PM, What_Does_It_Do wrote:
Look.
NOBODY CARES.

Your words.
They mean nothing.

If you say so, MM

OH DAMN you know his name is Mitch Mounts!!!!! I'm sure he's scared. lol
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 11:15:57 PM
At 2/12/2011 11:12:52 PM, What_Does_It_Do wrote:
Look.
NOBODY CARES.

Your words.
They mean nothing.

If you say so, MM

Mitchy Moonts.
That is the name that you know.
And that is the name that you will blindly follow into the depths as it was generated by my friend, by the last name of Smith.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 11:17:46 PM
Let me ask you this, do you lock the door on the way out of the house, did you know thats a complete waste of time since if someone wanted to break in they could just steal a tank and roll right on through?

I would never lock doors. Its a complete waste time 100%.
And then when you get back and bring stuff in its a pain in the @ss just to get back in.
Plus it stops no one. They could break a window, open a window, pick the door, get a locksmith, (be a locksmith...) etc etc, so its very very pointless, cause odds are if a lock is gunna keep them out, their too dumb to last as a criminal anyway.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
What_Does_It_Do
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 11:31:02 PM
Your words.
They mean nothing.

If you say so, MM

Mitchy Moonts.
And that is the name that you will blindly follow into the depths as it was generated by my friend, by the last name of Smith.

Well here's the thing...the name I found was slightly different. But the important part was that the high school you graduated from was also listed, so a stalker could then go find the graduation photos and verify the real name that way. On the other hand, if you've put both a fake name and a fake high school - you've just proven my point as to why you should never use your real details. Thanks
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 11:45:28 PM
http://www.spokeo.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 11:51:02 PM
At 2/12/2011 11:31:02 PM, What_Does_It_Do wrote:
Your words.
They mean nothing.

If you say so, MM

Mitchy Moonts.

Well here's the thing...the name I found was slightly different. But the important part was that the high school you graduated from was also listed, so a stalker could then go find the graduation photos and verify the real name that way. On the other hand, if you've put both a fake name and a fake high school - you've just proven my point as to why you should never use your real details. Thanks

You found my high school which I've listed in several posts.
My real name, good for you, Dark and Korashk could have just as easily said it at any point. Oh and I also have the url to my facebook in my profile, not the actual thing, but when I say "I am teh King Blargzorz" if someone were to google either "King Blargzorz" or "Blargzorz" you could probably find my facebook which has no privacy settings.
Like I said.
I don't care, I'm more in fear of a CC# lifter of getting my card cause I'll lose $50 out of that. And guess what? That's out of my control even though I know exactly how it happens, yet you don't see me walking around paying for everything in cash. I don't see what the point of this topic is except for you to attempt to "strike fear" in people. You've come to the wrong place. We're all much too tech-savvy, too smart, or in some people's cases, you know who you are, too stupid to give a gqddamn about your fvcking pointless ventures. So while you're over there janking to some gayboy butt s3x I hope you realize, nobody loves you, your life is pointless, AND I HAVE MORE PENNIES THAN YOU ARE WORTH

Oh... and it's my birthday.