External Hard Drive

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 10:25:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/24/2011 10:11:22 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
As the title may perhaps suggest, I am considering investing in one. If any of you are aware of any good deals on such things, a link would be highly appreciated. That is all. :P

How big do you need? Just for storage or for a backup of your computer?

newegg is usually pretty good.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 10:31:04 AM
At 2/24/2011 10:25:09 AM, OreEle wrote:
As the title may perhaps suggest, I am considering investing in one. If any of you are aware of any good deals on such things, a link would be highly appreciated. That is all. :P

Yeah, I've been surfing Newegg, and I came across this [http://www.newegg.com...].

I'm thinking 500 should be more than enough.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 10:35:20 AM
At 2/24/2011 10:31:04 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Yeah, I've been surfing Newegg, and I came across this [http://www.newegg.com...].

But what do you need it for? If just to hold music and videos and pictures and files, your need will be different then if you are using it to actually work as a back up for your entire computer.

Right now, I got a dead laptop from craigslist for $25 that had a working 320 GB SATA HD in it which I now am using for an external HD.

Also got to re-sell the ram, battery, and charging cord. I ended up breaking even (too bad the processor was dead, I was hoping only the motherboard was toast).
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 10:46:42 AM
At 2/24/2011 10:35:20 AM, OreEle wrote:

But what do you need it for? If just to hold music and videos and pictures and files, your need will be different then if you are using it to actually work as a back up for your entire computer.

Right now, I got a dead laptop from craigslist for $25 that had a working 320 GB SATA HD in it which I now am using for an external HD.

Also got to re-sell the ram, battery, and charging cord. I ended up breaking even (too bad the processor was dead, I was hoping only the motherboard was toast).

I already have an external backup. This one that I'm getting is going to be for file storage.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 10:50:24 AM
At 2/24/2011 10:46:42 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/24/2011 10:35:20 AM, OreEle wrote:

I already have an external backup. This one that I'm getting is going to be for file storage.

I'd say that 500 GB is the biggest you could need for that then (talking about 200 movies, or 100,000 songs). But I'm pretty much a minimalist when it comes to computers, heck, I still use a laptop with only 56 GB with an IDE HD, lol.

That reminds me, I do need to build a new computer for myself.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 10:52:36 AM

That one seems fine for the price.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 1:47:29 PM

Can't go wrong with Western Digital.

That said, if you REALLY want quality, you need to buy a WD Caviar Black baredrive and put it into whatever enclosure it will fit in. A Caviar Green would work well too.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 12:52:34 AM
At 2/24/2011 1:47:29 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:

Can't go wrong with Western Digital.

That said, if you REALLY want quality, you need to buy a WD Caviar Black baredrive and put it into whatever enclosure it will fit in. A Caviar Green would work well too.

Both my 1TB external hard drives are WD.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 4:52:52 AM
WD can, despite it's good reputation, be a little unreliable. I've had two WD exterl hard drives and both have died suddenly on me after a year or so. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but it's probably best to make a backup.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 9:14:14 AM

two weeks before black friday on newegg

That's the best place and time.

I got a 2 TB hard drive last christmas for 90 bucks.

I have 5 TB worth of external hard drives.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 9:18:37 AM
never buy anything under 2 TB. 2 TB is currently where you get best buck for Gigabyte.

If you think you only need 500, think again. You're entering college, the world of pirating.

This is currently best bang for the buck if you don't mind doing rebates

50 bucks for 1 TB is a damn good deal

http://www.newegg.com...

105 Bucks for 2 TB without having to fill out a rebate is still a great deal Also it has a ton of reviews and is of good make

Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 9:21:53 AM

Lol 48 dollars for 500 is a shitt deal. Lol mine is 2 bucks more for double the size. And it's not "recertified" which means that it failed (died) upon delivery for the first person, he sent it back they fixed it and now you're buying it.

Also it has only five reviews, mine has 59
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 3:06:09 PM
At 2/25/2011 9:14:14 AM, askbob wrote:

How do you figure? (source?)

I don't know either way, I'm just wondering if this is really true.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 4:29:40 PM
Some of the older WD series are a lil flaky, but I've never had a problem with the Caviar Blacks. Have a 300gb that's been running constantly for about 5 years now, and a 1 TB that's been going for about 3 years.

You do really need to research them. The WDCB's are a lil pricey, but get the best you can afford.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 4:45:14 PM
At 2/25/2011 9:18:37 AM, askbob wrote:
never buy anything under 2 TB. 2 TB is currently where you get best buck for Gigabyte.

If you think you only need 500, think again. You're entering college, the world of pirating.

That is assuming one wishes to pirate stuff.

105 Bucks for 2 TB without having to fill out a rebate is still a great deal Also it has a ton of reviews and is of good make

You shouldn't measure dollar verus the size of the device, but verus how much of the device you'll use.

If you get a 2TB for $105 (5.127 cents per GB), but only end up using 100GB of it, then you are really paying $1.05 per GB. Why buy space that you aren't going to use?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 4:54:01 PM
At 2/25/2011 4:45:14 PM, OreEle wrote:

What did you think I meant when I said "file storage"? :)

You shouldn't measure dollar verus the size of the device, but verus how much of the device you'll use.

If you get a 2TB for $105 (5.127 cents per GB), but only end up using 100GB of it, then you are really paying $1.05 per GB. Why buy space that you aren't going to use?

Trust me. There will be plenty of space used.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 5:44:43 PM
At 2/25/2011 4:54:01 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

What did you think I meant when I said "file storage"? :)

storing files, like I store all my pictures on a backup drive.

then get what you need, like I said before. If you need that much space, go for it. I guess I don't understand when you said that you're looking at a 500GB, then come back and say that "there will be plenty of space used" in reference to a 2TB.

I mistook that the 500GB was already determined as the amount that you would need.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 6:06:09 AM
At 2/25/2011 9:21:04 PM, PrimoVictoria wrote:
I use old computers I get for $14.00 at thrift stores a my backup, just run Linux.

Hello SRW.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:19:13 AM
At 2/25/2011 3:06:09 PM, Nags wrote:
At 2/25/2011 9:14:14 AM, askbob wrote:

How do you figure? (source?)

I don't know either way, I'm just wondering if this is really true.

i've watched prices on that site every month for the past 3 years.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:21:43 AM

Why buy a 100,000 sq foot house for 1,000 when you can live in a 1,000 sq foot house for 900. YOU SAVE 100 whole dollars!

Everyone pirates.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:23:13 AM
At 2/25/2011 5:44:43 PM, OreEle wrote:
storing files, like I store all my pictures on a backup drive.

its called a USB flash drive if you just want to store pictures or www.dropbox.com
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:23:53 AM
At 2/25/2011 9:21:04 PM, PrimoVictoria wrote:
I use old computers I get for $14.00 at thrift stores a my backup, just run Linux.

you are such a faggot SRW. Just leave the freaking site already
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 10:51:29 AM
I advise searching geeks.com and tigerdirect.com and don't worry about the brand. Larger drives are not much more than 500GB drives these days, so consider 1 TB and 1.5 TB. The only thing that fills these large drives is video, but if you get into that they fill up fast.

I've had a lot of trouble getting external drives to work through a USB hub. If a drive appears to be dead, try plugging it into one of the direst USB ports on the computer.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 3:15:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/28/2011 9:04:22 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
At 2/25/2011 4:54:01 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

DL'ing lots of porn, eh?

http://c0016417.cdn2.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com...

This deserves a bump.
Also, "Everyone pirates."
Nope.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush