Jump to topic:

Internet TV

kowalskil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:19:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was told that buying a HDTV, and signing a long term contract with a cable company, is no longer a good thing to do. The better alternative is to watch most of the same programs, and many more, on the computer screen. The resolution is as good as on HDTV sets, or better. The name of this option is Internet TV.

Please share what you know and think about this option. Thank you in advance.

Ludwik
Ludwik Kowalski, author of "Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality." <http://csam.montclair.edu...

http://csam.montclair.edu...

It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).

The more people know about proletarian dictatorship the less likely will we experience is. Please share the link with those who might be interested, especially with youn
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 1:56:29 AM
You'd be better off downloading torrents of your favourite shows.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 1:59:04 AM
At 3/8/2011 1:56:29 AM, tvellalott wrote:
You'd be better off downloading torrents of your favourite shows.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:01:23 AM
At 3/8/2011 1:59:59 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There may come a time when people don't even bother buying TV's, just watching everything on their computer.

definitely by the TV, just buy an HDMI cable and hook up your computer to the tv, then use a wireless mouse and XBMC with an external terabyte.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:06:53 AM
At 3/8/2011 2:01:23 AM, askbob wrote:
There may come a time when people don't even bother buying TV's, just watching everything on their computer.

definitely by the TV, just buy an HDMI cable and hook up your computer to the tv, then use a wireless mouse and XBMC with an external terabyte.

I don't have a TV, I have a projector hooked up to a PS3 and a DVD player with a USB port(sneaky, sneaky). I watch almost no tv at all.

Muh threads
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:09:44 AM
At 3/8/2011 2:06:53 AM, tvellalott wrote:

I don't have a TV, I have a projector hooked up to a PS3 and a DVD player with a USB port(sneaky, sneaky). I watch almost no tv at all.

All I watch most of the time is movies so I just use my computer.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:10:32 AM

Yeah I have literally no use for a TV.
Most of my fave shows aren't on tv anyway (death note, hetalia, and chi all come to mind, but I'm sure there are non-animes too)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:14:25 AM
At 3/8/2011 2:09:44 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Why watch them on your small computer (small screen have to hold laptop/sit in chair

when you can use a large tv lay in your bed with girlfriend and cuddle.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:15:09 AM
At 3/8/2011 2:10:32 AM, lovelife wrote:

Most of my fave shows aren't on tv anyway (death note, hetalia, and chi all come to mind, but I'm sure there are non-animes too)

TV is essentially the monitor. If you're going to download/watch over the computer then you just set up the TV as a monitor for your computer.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:27:47 AM
At 3/8/2011 2:15:09 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/8/2011 2:10:32 AM, lovelife wrote:

TV is essentially the monitor. If you're going to download/watch over the computer then you just set up the TV as a monitor for your computer.

I'd rather use my laptop since I can adjust it personally, take it where I want to go, and can easily pause.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:28:14 AM
At 3/8/2011 2:14:25 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/8/2011 2:09:44 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Why watch them on your small computer (small screen have to hold laptop/sit in chair

when you can use a large tv lay in your bed with girlfriend and cuddle.

I know your comment was directed at INH, but as Tvella said: Projector.
However a TV's size is something that monitors can't match at the moment, however watching live sports generally requires cable, there is ESPN3.com and ESPN for 360, however things like March Madness are on CBS.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:46:47 AM
At 3/8/2011 2:28:14 AM, zGodMode wrote:
watching live sports generally requires cable, there is ESPN3.com and ESPN for 360, however things like March Madness are on CBS.

This is a valid point. I have to go into the bedroom to watch AFL.

Muh threads
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 5:29:31 PM
I'm pretty sure most new tv's have an ethernet port and allow apps. Google has Google TV. It's not any different than an HDMI from your comp but its probably more convenient.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Randall999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 9:11:50 PM
I watch mostly movies and TV shows through Netflix to my tv, wireless, high speed cable internet, wifi router. Only watch a few shows on my TV using antenna. Have not subscribed to cable/satellite for maybe 10 years now. I fricken love Netflix, on demand, no commercials.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 10:51:18 PM
At 3/28/2011 9:11:50 PM, Randall999 wrote:
I watch mostly movies and TV shows through Netflix to my tv, wireless, high speed cable internet, wifi router. Only watch a few shows on my TV using antenna. Have not subscribed to cable/satellite for maybe 10 years now. I fricken love Netflix, on demand, no commercials.

I'm sceptical about netflix. Is the monthly charge the only charge you ever have to pay?

Muh threads