Jump to topic:

Dell are awesome

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 10:41:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was going to make a debate about this, but I couldn't think of a resolution. Does anyone doubt Dell's superiority to any other major computer corporation you can name?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 12:27:12 AM
Dells good. I have a dell myself, but apples better.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 12:28:24 AM
At 3/31/2011 12:27:12 AM, phantom wrote:
Dells good. I have a dell myself, but apples better.

*attacks phantom with an axe*

Muh threads
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 12:44:02 AM
*Ties tvellalott to a chair then plays Justin Bieber full volume to him until deaf to the ears. *

ohh baby baby baby ohhh :D
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 6:19:14 AM
At 3/31/2011 12:44:02 AM, phantom wrote:
*Ties tvellalott to a chair then plays Justin Bieber full volume to him until deaf to the ears. *

ohh baby baby baby ohhh :D

*Unties Tv to allow him to help me slash Phantom's apple loving meat sack to pieces*
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 10:43:37 AM
Apple sucks. All they have are overpriced shitty computers. you can get an HP or Dell for half the price with the same ability and level of technology.

But, the problem here is that if im gonna buy a genuinely good computer, id rather just build one myself.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:25:30 AM
Dells are awesome apples are awesomer. Apples are over priced bcause they work so well.

*takes tvellalott's axe and smashes all the apple hatters dell lap tops to pieces. Then breaks into an apple store to steal an unaffordable apple lap top.*

*munches on an apple*
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:29:44 AM
Apple © <<<greedy sons ofa bi***'S.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 2:18:52 AM
At 3/31/2011 10:43:37 AM, tkubok wrote:
Apple sucks. All they have are overpriced shitty computers. you can get an HP or Dell for half the price with the same ability and level of technology.
Nonsense.

The hardware of a Mac is designed for the software. You hardly need to look up drivers on your own, and there are very few hardware/software issues compared to any Windows computer. Moreover, the Mac is less prone to being infected with a virus. As a matter of fact, the hardware of a Mac is both suitable for Windows and Mac, and even other operating systems. The Mac is extremely stable, quick, safe, etc.

In Windows, you remove a big file and the computer drags important ones with it, even though those are not even correlated. There are too many bugs and loopholes whenever you do a moderate system change. In Mac, drag an app into the trash and there you go. It is extremely simple without doubt.

I recently got a Mac, and I am delighted to say that it is a near perfect experience. The shutdown takes less than five seconds, uninstalling apps takes less than five seconds, accessing any file takes probably less than 10 seconds, and I can go on for a long time. Windows is good, but there is no proper reasoning in saying that "Macs suck." That is mere nonsense.

Also, besides the amazing OS and its very stable connection to the hardware, a Mac has probably the best keyboard on the market, and the case is also astonishing. All the hardware filled into a thin computer (the one I am using) is incredible. I have not found a single Windows laptop on the market with a similar price that beats this one in overall terms.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 2:44:40 AM
At 4/1/2011 2:20:10 AM, Mirza wrote:
And tkubok,

I would definitely like you to find a computer matching the new MacBook Pro for half its price.

Well, I can't be bothered finding two matching specs, BUT:
This Macbook: http://www.amazon.com...
is not worth twice as much as This Dell:
http://www.amazon.com...

Muh threads
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 2:57:09 AM
At 4/1/2011 2:44:40 AM, tvellalott wrote:
And tkubok,

I would definitely like you to find a computer matching the new MacBook Pro for half its price.

Well, I can't be bothered finding two matching specs, BUT:
This Macbook: http://www.amazon.com...
is not worth twice as much as This Dell:
http://www.amazon.com...
The Mac is more portable and harder to damage. The processor and the graphics card of the Macbook are both superior to the ones of the Dell, even though it is a 15", and weighs about double as much.

The graphics card of Macbook is on bottom of Class 2 graphics cards, while the one of Dell is at the bottom of the Class 3.

Mac: http://www.notebookcheck.net...

Dell: http://www.notebookcheck.net...

Also, you are comparing last-year model of the MacBook Pro 13". This is the new: http://www.amazon.com... Same price, but it is quite a lot better.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 11:49:06 AM
At 4/1/2011 2:18:52 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 3/31/2011 10:43:37 AM, tkubok wrote:
Nonsense.

The hardware of a Mac is designed for the software. You hardly need to look up drivers on your own, and there are very few hardware/software issues compared to any Windows computer. Moreover, the Mac is less prone to being infected with a virus. As a matter of fact, the hardware of a Mac is both suitable for Windows and Mac, and even other operating systems. The Mac is extremely stable, quick, safe, etc.
First off, im a casual gamer that uses my comp for games more than anything. And in that sense, a mac is terrible for me.

Secondly, i have a Alienware laptop, and yes, ive loaded Redhat onto it a well as booted other OS's on through thumb drives. And let me tell you, they were and are completely suitable for these OS's too.

Thirdly, ive been using my comp for 3 years, and have never NEVER had a virus. But the reason why Macs have less viruses than PCs, isnt because the mac is somehow supieror, but because the PC is, first off, much more public-friendly, and has a larger user base, therefore people make viruses for PCs more than Macs.

In other words, a PC is just as stable, safe, and even more gamer friendly than the Mac. You can try and upload Wine on your mac to play games, but it lags more than a PC, let me tell you that.

In Windows, you remove a big file and the computer drags important ones with it, even though those are not even correlated. There are too many bugs and loopholes whenever you do a moderate system change. In Mac, drag an app into the trash and there you go. It is extremely simple without doubt.

Never had this happen to me. But i dont understand what you mean by "Computer drags important ones with it". That would only happen i you were somehow retarded and tried to delete the entire Program files folder.

I recently got a Mac, and I am delighted to say that it is a near perfect experience. The shutdown takes less than five seconds, uninstalling apps takes less than five seconds, accessing any file takes probably less than 10 seconds, and I can go on for a long time. Windows is good, but there is no proper reasoning in saying that "Macs suck." That is mere nonsense.

Funny, because thats the same experience im having with my PC. But youve got it wrong there, mate. My friend has a Mac filled to the brim with extra programs, and his shutdown takes as long as 1-2 minutes. Same goes for accessing files and programs. Maybe youre not a heavy user, but its the same for any computer, the more bogged down and the more RAM you are using, the slower it becomes.

Also, besides the amazing OS and its very stable connection to the hardware, a Mac has probably the best keyboard on the market, and the case is also astonishing. All the hardware filled into a thin computer (the one I am using) is incredible. I have not found a single Windows laptop on the market with a similar price that beats this one in overall terms.

Ive used the mac keyboard. I dont find it any different than normal one. and BTW, Mac doesnt hold the thinnest or the lightest computer on record, the PC does. :D
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 11:50:59 AM
And tkubok,

With what? As i said before, im a hardcore gamer, so i couldnt give a Sh*t about weight or size, all i care about is the hardware. So Im in the market for the most powerful and cheapest computer availeable.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 11:56:59 AM
I hate Dell, their support sucks, and they have all proprietary product, which means they are less accessible at a retailer, or market supplier. HP is superior to Dell in so many ways.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 12:03:06 PM
At 4/1/2011 11:56:59 AM, innomen wrote:
I hate Dell, their support sucks, and they have all proprietary product, which means they are less accessible at a retailer, or market supplier. HP is superior to Dell in so many ways.

Really? What do you mean by that? I've had very positive experiences with dells support.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 12:47:17 PM
You know what is better than all? Build your own dang computer. I understand this is harder for laptops, but still, so much cheaper.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 1:38:05 PM
Refurbished Gateway is the way to go.
You really just have to shop around for a good deal.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 2:20:03 PM
At 4/1/2011 12:03:06 PM, Sobriquet wrote:

Really? What do you mean by that? I've had very positive experiences with dells support.

At the corporate level they are horrendous, and it does depend on the support rep you are assigned. You cannot purchase their toner cartridges anywhere you want like HP, but rather you have to go through Dell, or some one of their very few of their skus are available. Same is true with other components of their product, it's mostly proprietary to Dell, so there is greater difficulty in obtaining them.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 3:04:45 PM
At 4/1/2011 12:47:17 PM, OreEle wrote:
You know what is better than all? Build your own dang computer. I understand this is harder for laptops, but still, so much cheaper.

Harder for laptops? Try near impossible.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 4:07:04 PM
At 4/1/2011 2:20:03 PM, innomen wrote:

At the corporate level they are horrendous, and it does depend on the support rep you are assigned. You cannot purchase their toner cartridges anywhere you want like HP, but rather you have to go through Dell, or some one of their very few of their skus are available. Same is true with other components of their product, it's mostly proprietary to Dell, so there is greater difficulty in obtaining them.

Ah, well I'm under their 1 year warranty at the moment, and its definitely served me well. I'd imagine I'll have more problems when that warranty is done with, but as of now, I've gotten a brand new hard drive and multiple new chargers with one day shipping and no hassle. I've just used the support chat - I'm not really a fan of doing that tech stuff over the phone.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 4:15:35 PM

I used to work in a call center fixing around 10 dells a day! I hope I am not hated for this!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 4:18:32 PM
At 4/1/2011 3:04:45 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/1/2011 12:47:17 PM, OreEle wrote:

Harder for laptops? Try near impossible.

You really have to know your 3rd party laptop part distributors and be dedicated to minutia to build one from parts.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 5:00:48 PM
At 4/1/2011 4:15:35 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I used to work in a call center fixing around 10 dells a day! I hope I am not hated for this!

lol, I did iPhone tech support for almost a year and a half. What company did you work through (was it actually Dell, or some contractor?), I was through ACS.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 5:13:38 PM
At 4/1/2011 5:00:48 PM, OreEle wrote:

lol, I did iPhone tech support for almost a year and a half. What company did you work through (was it actually Dell, or some contractor?), I was through ACS.

Dell subcontracts all its support lol..
Teleperformance was in Utah, but 75% of my clients were Canadians.
Canadians are more market demanding for non Indian support than Americans.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 5:18:51 PM
At 4/1/2011 5:13:38 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/1/2011 5:00:48 PM, OreEle wrote:

Dell subcontracts all its support lol..
Teleperformance was in Utah, but 75% of my clients were Canadians.
Canadians are more market demanding for non Indian support than Americans.

oh, we didn't get any canadians because they use a different wireless carrier, so they had their own tech support. I don't remember if we had any teleperformance for the iphone support. I remember we had 3 ACS's, 2 Steams, 2 that were actually with Apple and several others. Out of the 14 sites (for US support), only 1 was not in the states (over in Manila, and they often had the lowest tech support numbers).
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 7:30:44 PM

Really?!
That really surprised me. I HATE HP.
Doing post-warranty support on a HP is fvcking painful.

I love Dell from the position of a computer technician. Perhaps from a corporate position they're worse.

Muh threads
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 8:33:54 PM
At 4/1/2011 11:49:06 AM, tkubok wrote:
First off, im a casual gamer that uses my comp for games more than anything. And in that sense, a mac is terrible for me.
You criticized Apple and their products as if your opinion were a general truth. The correction is on your part, not mine.

Secondly, i have a Alienware laptop, and yes, ive loaded Redhat onto it a well as booted other OS's on through thumb drives. And let me tell you, they were and are completely suitable for these OS's too.
Windows is in no way designed specifically for any hardware. That is a fact. It is designed to be more flexible and open, while the Mac is closed and dynamic and is carefully coded to be compatible with the hardware. It is more finely tuned overall.

Thirdly, ive been using my comp for 3 years, and have never NEVER had a virus. But the reason why Macs have less viruses than PCs, isnt because the mac is somehow supieror, but because the PC is, first off, much more public-friendly, and has a larger user base, therefore people make viruses for PCs more than Macs.
I did not give any reason. I know why Macs are less prone to getting viruses - but I stated what is actual, not what the cause was.

In other words, a PC is just as stable,
No. A PC has more chances of crashing/freezing, filling itself with driver errors, having registry problems, and many other things that are easily avoidable for a Mac.

safe,
Currently, the Mac is safer. I personally never had an issue with viruses, but Windows remains being more vulnerable to them.

and even more gamer friendly than the Mac.
That is true. However, the games that play both on Mac and Windows are equally good on Mac, if not better due to the hardware/software connection that is very stable. Also, more games are being designed for Mac now that Apple is on its greatest rise.

You can try and upload Wine on your mac to play games, but it lags more than a PC, let me tell you that.
I would not do that, no. I am aware of the fact that it is unstable. However, on a Mac you can install Windows and run it very well, and even Linux. You can use Windows for gaming, Mac for overall usage, and Linux for important storage (because it is simply the hardest OS to hack).

Never had this happen to me. But i dont understand what you mean by "Computer drags important ones with it". That would only happen i you were somehow retarded and tried to delete the entire Program files folder.
Install clean Windows, install a game, remove it, and run a registry scan. Run an error scan. Chances are that the results will be many negative ones.

Funny, because thats the same experience im having with my PC. But youve got it wrong there, mate. My friend has a Mac filled to the brim with extra programs, and his shutdown takes as long as 1-2 minutes. Same goes for accessing files and programs. Maybe youre not a heavy user, but its the same for any computer, the more bogged down and the more RAM you are using, the slower it becomes.
You make it look like I dislike Windows. That is far from the truth. I am criticizing your statement about Apple and its products. I do not care whether or not you like a Windows computer better. Also, which version is your friend running? Mine is from 2011, and it is quite a lot faster than any of the earlier versions.

Ive used the mac keyboard. I dont find it any different than normal one.
Sure, but I do, and many reviews agree with me that it is one of the world's best.

and BTW, Mac doesnt hold the thinnest or the lightest computer on record, the PC does. :D
Of course, it has to be beaten someday. You cannot make a thin product now and expect it to last forever. Irrelevant to my point anyway.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 8:38:52 PM
At 4/1/2011 7:30:44 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Really?!
That really surprised me. I HATE HP.
Doing post-warranty support on a HP is fvcking painful.

I love Dell from the position of a computer technician. Perhaps from a corporate position they're worse.

Having more than 20 years of repair experience, Dells are by FAR easier to work on hardware wise than HP. On the software side: Corporate policies are tight, but luckily since we got to service Canadians, we had a LOT of discretionary powers about what we could or could not do with Dellconnect (remote desktop access). I made a LOT of canadians so happy killing viruses that were so new, only a few tools could get rid of them. Technically we did not have to do this, but I thought it was worth it from a human satisfaction perspective. I was also able to make up the longer call times by cutting the routine calls in half since I was so damn good at what I did, so my boss didn't really give a crap lol.