Jump to topic:

Mac vs PC

SuzzaneO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 11:13:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm in the market for a new computer. I've had a PC my entire life but I want to look into buying a mac. Are Macs that much better than PCs? Or are they just trendy. I need some advice from people who have macs or even people who have used them before.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 11:21:08 AM
Good question. I recently got a Mac and I do not regret it. I have used Windows most of my life, and still have a Windows laptop. In all honesty, both OS'es have their pros and cons. The Windows OS is open and can run most software and video games available on the market, either free or paid. The Mac OS has limited software, but besides video games, you can literally get all the types of software you need. I use OpenOffice, which is free, and it is very good.

The thing is that if you buy a Windows computer, you cannot use a Mac. A Mac is, in my opinion, simpler than Windows because you do not have to go through all kinds of messy clean ups when removing software or something like that. Drag and drop, simple. You do not need to buy extra anti-virus software, registry cleaners, and all that which is usually required for Windows to be at optimum.

I suggest that if you have the resources, get a Mac and see how it goes. If you like the hardware but not the software, then you have a special solution: install Windows. You can install Windows on a Mac computer (and even run both OS'es simultaneously), but vice versa is too complex.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 11:35:41 AM
PC is a far better value.
But if simple and shiny is your thing get a mac, they are truly simple shiny.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 3:45:13 PM
At 4/18/2011 11:21:08 AM, Mirza wrote:
Good question. I recently got a Mac and I do not regret it. I have used Windows most of my life, and still have a Windows laptop. In all honesty, both OS'es have their pros and cons. The Windows OS is open and can run most software and video games available on the market, either free or paid. The Mac OS has limited software, but besides video games, you can literally get all the types of software you need. I use OpenOffice, which is free, and it is very good.

The thing is that if you buy a Windows computer, you cannot use a Mac. A Mac is, in my opinion, simpler than Windows because you do not have to go through all kinds of messy clean ups when removing software or something like that. Drag and drop, simple. You do not need to buy extra anti-virus software, registry cleaners, and all that which is usually required for Windows to be at optimum.

I suggest that if you have the resources, get a Mac and see how it goes. If you like the hardware but not the software, then you have a special solution: install Windows. You can install Windows on a Mac computer (and even run both OS'es simultaneously), but vice versa is too complex.

Mirza it's actually more complicated to put Window OS on a Mac PC than it is to put Mac OS on a Windows PC.

And on my PC I can run as many OS's as I want. Simultaneously.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 3:46:11 PM
At 4/18/2011 3:45:13 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
Mirza it's actually more complicated to put Window OS on a Mac PC than it is to put Mac OS on a Windows PC.
How so?

And on my PC I can run as many OS's as I want. Simultaneously.
I know.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 4:15:19 PM
Mirza is right, except for the 'messy clean-up' bit, which is a thing of the past with Windows 7. If you want to play games, buy a PC. If you want to... do whatever it is Macs do, but a Mac.

(The boobies look equally good on both to be honest.)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 4:22:48 PM
At 4/18/2011 3:46:11 PM, Mirza wrote:
How so?

bootcamp
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 4:53:58 PM
At 4/18/2011 4:22:48 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
How so?

bootcamp
Mac has bootcamp. But something more simple: dual-boot on different HDD partitions. Can you simply install Mac on a Windows PC that way? No. Vice versa is possible.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 5:23:40 PM
At 4/18/2011 11:13:07 AM, SuzzaneO wrote:
I'm in the market for a new computer. I've had a PC my entire life but I want to look into buying a mac. Are Macs that much better than PCs? Or are they just trendy. I need some advice from people who have macs or even people who have used them before.:

That Mac snobs are elitists who need to be repeatedly kicked in the taint makes me not want one, to be honest with you. In all fairness Macs are nice but snobs ad hominem's on PC's are grossly embellished.

There are pro's and con's to both.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 5:28:11 PM
My boss said it best:
If you've never used a computer before, a Mac is a good choice. Like for an old person or something. OSX (though I fvcking hate it) is damn near unbreakable (thanks to it's UNIX roots IMHO) so you don't have to worry about Granny getting the security suite virus that is running rampant on XP machines at the moment. OSX is simply not flexible.

HOWEVER, Windows 7 with a nice virus protection suite like Symantic End Point Protection is just fine, with the added bonus of across the board software compatibility. There is no piece of software (that I know of, correct me if I'm wrong) that Mac offers that Windows doesn't have a comparable piece of software.

Muh threads
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 5:51:43 PM
At 4/18/2011 5:28:11 PM, tvellalott wrote:
My boss said it best:
If you've never used a computer before, a Mac is a good choice. Like for an old person or something. OSX (though I fvcking hate it) is damn near unbreakable (thanks to it's UNIX roots IMHO) so you don't have to worry about Granny getting the security suite virus that is running rampant on XP machines at the moment. OSX is simply not flexible.

HOWEVER, Windows 7 with a nice virus protection suite like Symantic End Point Protection is just fine, with the added bonus of across the board software compatibility. There is no piece of software (that I know of, correct me if I'm wrong) that Mac offers that Windows doesn't have a comparable piece of software.

Final Cut is the only thing.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 5:57:54 PM
At 4/18/2011 5:51:43 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

The collaborating part of that is pretty bad as5.

Muh threads
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 6:12:44 PM
At 4/18/2011 5:57:54 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/18/2011 5:51:43 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

The collaborating part of that is pretty bad as5.

I haven't used Final Cut server. Just final cut pro.

and yet i'm still quite fond of Adobe Premiere/The adobe creative suite.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 8:25:21 PM
1. Macs are PCs. PC means personal computer, and that's exactly what a Mac is.

2. Macs tend to be overpriced for their performance. This is because they're shiny, they use expensive materials on their cases, they use expensive IPS monitors (which better for image editing, but worse for things that require low response time like games).

3. The Mac OS, while novel to someone who hasn't used it, does not have major advantages to Linux or Windows. In any case, it's also possible to install the Mac OS on a non-Mac PC, though it's not something Apple officially supports.

4. Most people who need high-performance PCs use them to some extent for gaming, which is not what Macs are suited for. Most people who don't need high performance PCs do not need a computer that costs $1000 or more, and thus Macs are not good products for those people. Macs are essentially good for professional content creators who prefer the Mac software to Windows or Linux alternatives - not really for anyone else.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 8:53:21 AM
At 4/26/2011 2:32:24 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have a Mac and I like it since it's easy to use, considering I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world.

lovely, you're on welfare and you have one of the most expensive computers money can buy.

congrats
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 4:37:33 PM
At 4/18/2011 4:53:58 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 4/18/2011 4:22:48 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
How so?

bootcamp
Mac has bootcamp. But something more simple: dual-boot on different HDD partitions. Can you simply install Mac on a Windows PC that way? No. Vice versa is possible.

Read-
http://www.makeuseof.com...
http://dailyapps.net...
And these are only two sites that tell you how.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 9:19:54 PM
At 4/26/2011 8:53:21 AM, askbob wrote:
At 4/26/2011 2:32:24 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have a Mac and I like it since it's easy to use, considering I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world.

lovely, you're on welfare and you have one of the most expensive computers money can buy.

congrats

LOL

When you want to give up on the capitalism and discuss communism, you just come whispering to me :)
kfc
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 10:17:03 AM
The universe is locked in an unending struggle with its inhabitants. Software developers are struggling to make programs more idiot-proof, and the universe is struggling to make stupider idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. Macs are proof of this phenomenon.
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:36:10 PM
At 5/29/2011 10:17:03 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
The universe is locked in an unending struggle with its inhabitants. Software developers are struggling to make programs more idiot-proof, and the universe is struggling to make stupider idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. Macs are proof of this phenomenon.

Wow, this is a really awesome quote. :)

Muh threads
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 8:00:12 AM
At 5/29/2011 9:36:10 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Wow, this is a really awesome quote. :)

I know right?
Minister Of Trolling
:
Brian314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 11:23:29 PM
I find that Macs work so much more seamlessly than PCs, and the way they work is so intuitive that it doesn't take very much learning in order to get used to it. Though they are more expensive, I believe them to be fully worth the price.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 12:44:19 PM
At 6/12/2011 11:23:29 PM, Brian314 wrote:
I find that Macs work so much more seamlessly than PCs, and the way they work is so intuitive that it doesn't take very much learning in order to get used to it. Though they are more expensive, I believe them to be fully worth the price.

I beg to differ.
Minister Of Trolling
:
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 6:14:59 PM

+100 respect points
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 7:53:36 PM
At 6/13/2011 6:14:59 PM, annhasle wrote:

+100 respect points

Thanks!
Minister Of Trolling
:
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 11:44:53 PM
Opinion: I like Macs better, but I ahve always owned PCs. Macs are too expensive for my taste.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 11:51:55 PM
At 6/30/2011 11:44:53 PM, Tiel wrote:
Opinion: I like Macs better, but I ahve always owned PCs. Macs are too expensive for my taste.

Why?

Muh threads
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:20:45 PM
It really does depend on what you want from your machine.

Do you want to be trendy, with access to potentially infinite literary, musical and cinema entertainment right at your very fingertips?

Or would you prefer something that assumes you know what you want or need at an given time and is balanced towards helping you in all areas rather than a few?

Would you prefer a machine built with youth in mind? Youth who may or may not know the inner workings or in-depth repair methods, and this aimed towards simplicity over functionality?

Or would you prefer greater functionality over that simplicity with a machine that respects it's user's intelligence and ability to use google.

Are you the type who likes to learn to use a single series of programs for their base needs and stick with them and their updates? Or do you prefer to choose your program based on your current requirement?

Do you like to play games?

Last one, this is sort of the kicker.

Do you want to be overcharged for hardware and given an OS that can just as easily be installed on a backup partition rather than pay a fraction of the cost for a machine tailored to your requirements which is fully customisable?

Decisions decisions...
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 5:38:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: