Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

luxury or necessity??

laleona89
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 3:36:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
One of my teachers brought up this question.
What think is that technology started out as a luxury, but as time passed we started to depend on it for survival. Although if it came to the point where you needed to survive without technology I think we definitely could although it would be harder.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 5:50:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/10/2011 3:36:46 PM, laleona89 wrote:
One of my teachers brought up this question.
What think is that technology started out as a luxury, but as time passed we started to depend on it for survival. Although if it came to the point where you needed to survive without technology I think we definitely could although it would be harder.

Technology meaning electronic devices, or technology meaning tools?
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2011 12:01:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Humanity could survive, but not at the high population densities now on the planet. The most important technology is probably in food production. A hundred years ao it took 90% of the population of the US o provide food for the population. Now it's 4%, and much is exported.

Interesting, though, that now 40% of the corn crop goes to making ethanol. That's a sacrifice to the modern eco-gods, a total waste. Pagan beliefs may kill us yet.
Yorble
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2011 5:28:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
By far, a luxury. The Middle Ages survived without downloading a million Apps on their Iphones a day, so neither do I.
MikeLoviN
Posts: 746
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2011 6:48:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/24/2011 5:28:51 PM, Yorble wrote:
By far, a luxury. The Middle Ages survived without downloading a million Apps on their Iphones a day, so neither do I.

In the middle ages the average life span was in the 40s and people regularly died from catching a cold.

You know, I bet that in the middle ages there were people like you saying that they didn't need that fancy thing called 'the wheel' and scoffed at the sorcery behind the printing press saying that their ancestors survived just fine by traveling in packs and hunting wild animals.

Drawing arbitrary lines does nothing other than make you look like an idiot. The fact that you equated 'technology' with 'Iphone' also doesn't help your position.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2011 8:32:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/10/2011 3:36:46 PM, laleona89 wrote:
One of my teachers brought up this question.
What think is that technology started out as a luxury, but as time passed we started to depend on it for survival. Although if it came to the point where you needed to survive without technology I think we definitely could although it would be harder.

This is a false dilemma. Technology is a means to efficiently achieve a goal. Some technology was created out of necessity. Some was created to improve comfort.
There is no either or.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 9:34:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Spears are technology, adel addles are technology, hoes are technology, huts are technology, hell even an loincloth is technology.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Yorble
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 4:07:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/24/2011 6:48:08 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
At 5/24/2011 5:28:51 PM, Yorble wrote:
By far, a luxury. The Middle Ages survived without downloading a million Apps on their Iphones a day, so neither do I.

In the middle ages the average life span was in the 40s and people regularly died from catching a cold.

You know, I bet that in the middle ages there were people like you saying that they didn't need that fancy thing called 'the wheel' and scoffed at the sorcery behind the printing press saying that their ancestors survived just fine by traveling in packs and hunting wild animals.

Drawing arbitrary lines does nothing other than make you look like an idiot. The fact that you equated 'technology' with 'Iphone' also doesn't help your position.

You're right... I was half asleep when I wrote that, I did sound like an idiot. Oops.