Jump to topic:

Facebook Question

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 3:35:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I recently got a suggestion for someone that is a client of mine. I have no problem with the guy, but how could fb know about him? There are no connections in my friend list with him, but he would be in my outlook address book, and I exchange professional emails with him all the time. My work email address is not in fb, and I have never submitted it to search for friends. It's also protected (allegedly) by my vpn, and the company firewalls. To what extent can fb permeate my laptop?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 3:49:31 AM
Yeah, Facebook keeps suggesting one of my old professors from 2 years ago and we have NO mutual friends. How do they know I'm associated with him?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 3:57:45 AM
I have had similar things. Thankfully I don't put too personal info on FB anymore, even using a fake last name. I really want to know where they find these things out though, it's just plain creepy.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 1:21:06 PM
At 5/20/2011 3:35:46 AM, innomen wrote:
I recently got a suggestion for someone that is a client of mine. I have no problem with the guy, but how could fb know about him? There are no connections in my friend list with him, but he would be in my outlook address book, and I exchange professional emails with him all the time. My work email address is not in fb, and I have never submitted it to search for friends. It's also protected (allegedly) by my vpn, and the company firewalls. To what extent can fb permeate my laptop?

Does your facebook account have your company listed? Also, it may be possible that his facebook is not so tight as yours, and so the connection is being made on his side.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 1:24:24 PM
At 5/20/2011 1:21:06 PM, OreEle wrote:

Does your facebook account have your company listed? Also, it may be possible that his facebook is not so tight as yours, and so the connection is being made on his side.

That's a good point, i hadn't thought of that, and it's fairly obvious. My company is listed, but my company is gigantic, so i doubt it made that connection.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 1:30:36 PM
At 5/20/2011 1:24:24 PM, innomen wrote:

That's a good point, i hadn't thought of that, and it's fairly obvious. My company is listed, but my company is gigantic, so i doubt it made that connection.

When I use to work at Intel, I had Intel listed as my company and it would suggest other "co-workers" to friend. Though really, I don't know how it figures things out, more signs to the end of the world.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 1:31:48 PM

what about your location?
If you have your location, and company it might narrow things down that way.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 1:34:58 PM
At 5/20/2011 1:30:36 PM, OreEle wrote:

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that, and it's fairly obvious. My company is listed, but my company is gigantic, so I doubt it made that connection.

When I use to work at Intel, I had Intel listed as my company and it would suggest other "co-workers" to friend. Though really, I don't know how it figures things out, more signs to the end of the world.

You wonder who is getting suggestions about you? I believe there is some reference to this sort of stuff in Revelations, but it is allegoric of course.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 2:18:16 PM
At 5/20/2011 1:34:58 PM, innomen wrote:

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that, and it's fairly obvious. My company is listed, but my company is gigantic, so I doubt it made that connection.

You wonder who is getting suggestions about you? I believe there is some reference to this sort of stuff in Revelations, but it is allegoric of course.

The bible predicted facebook? huh? lololol, that would be epic. I read Revelations once. It said something about dragon..?? Is that Zuckerman?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 3:27:47 PM
At 5/20/2011 2:18:16 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 5/20/2011 1:34:58 PM, innomen wrote:

The bible predicted facebook? huh? lololol, that would be epic. I read Revelations once. It said something about dragon..?? Is that Zuckerman?

Clearly it's the Fifth Seal of the seven, and Zuckerman is in the midst of fulfilling the requirements. 'And lo unto thee is sent the fifth of seven seals who shall usher in the advent of visions on the tablet that is flat but shines. On the tablet shall be visions of martyrs who die the death of narcissists and ego-centrics, the misunderstood among His flock.'
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 3:34:46 PM
I recently got a suggestion for someone that is a client of mine. I have no problem with the guy, but how could fb know about him? There are no connections in my friend list with him, but he would be in my outlook address book, and I exchange professional emails with him all the time. My work email address is not in fb, and I have never submitted it to search for friends. It's also protected (allegedly) by my vpn, and the company firewalls. To what extent can fb permeate my laptop?:

That's actually happened to me with old fling recently whom I have no other connections with and I wondered the same thing. I assume it's because that person has at some point tried to look you up and just did not friend you.

Either that or FB is doing things like Google which stores massive amounts of personal data.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 4:00:16 PM
At 5/20/2011 3:34:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I recently got a suggestion for someone that is a client of mine. I have no problem with the guy, but how could fb know about him? There are no connections in my friend list with him, but he would be in my outlook address book, and I exchange professional emails with him all the time. My work email address is not in fb, and I have never submitted it to search for friends. It's also protected (allegedly) by my vpn, and the company firewalls. To what extent can fb permeate my laptop?:

That's actually happened to me with old fling recently whom I have no other connections with and I wondered the same thing. I assume it's because that person has at some point tried to look you up and just did not friend you.

Either that or FB is doing things like Google which stores massive amounts of personal data.

I can't see how he would be found in personal information in any part of my computer. If he were looking for me on FB that would be a major HMMMMM. I'm okay with that, but really odd.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 4:11:12 PM
At 5/20/2011 4:00:16 PM, innomen wrote:

I can't see how he would be found in personal information in any part of my computer. If he were looking for me on FB that would be a major HMMMMM. I'm okay with that, but really odd.

well to be fair, I sometimes look up random people I don't really know. Like teachers, people that work at braums/sonic/arby's, some people I hear my fiends talk about, people I haven't seen in 5-10 years, etc.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 4:34:41 PM
Just thought I would say I deactivated my facebook account due to too much drama.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 7:44:40 PM

^^^^ this
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 12:09:46 AM
Facebook is just clever like that. I think they take a lot of factors into account with suggested friends.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Yorble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 9:28:21 PM
That happened to me as well- I worked with a person over the phone for a Marketing project, we never met physically and have no mutual friends... She still popped up out of nowhere on my people you may know list.