Jump to topic:

Netbooks

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 12:41:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm thinking about getting an EEE PC netbooks. I've had a lot of problems with used laptops in the past and want to get something with a warranty.

Do you like netbooks? Do they have any major issues? One thing I'm concerned about is whether I will get used to the small keyboard. I have average size hands.

And what about the small screens. Do they strain the eyes?

Do they have problems overheating since they are so small?

Do EEE PC peripherials like, the built in video camera and sound card, work well?

Is it easy to upgrade the OS (I like to PXE boot to upgrade/downgrade Ubuntu).

Is it easy to upgrade the hardware. I heard that to add RAM you sometimes have to take the entire netbook apart on some models.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 1:08:56 PM
At 6/7/2011 12:41:03 PM, vbaculum wrote:
I'm thinking about getting an EEE PC netbooks. I've had a lot of problems with used laptops in the past and want to get something with a warranty.

Do you like netbooks? Do they have any major issues? One thing I'm concerned about is whether I will get used to the small keyboard. I have average size hands.

Yes. They are easy to carry and battery life is a big bonus.

Keyboard size may be a concern if you do a lot of typing. You can get a seperate keyboard and keep it at your workplace.

Not at all. I personalized it a bit - and the font size is exactly same.

Not really. I think my earlier laptop used to heat up faster.

Do EEE PC peripherials like, the built in video camera and sound card, work well?

I use Samsung N148. It works quite well.

Don't have much idea. I installed Ubuntu, in addition to Windows 7. It was quite simple.

Is it easy to upgrade the hardware. I heard that to add RAM you sometimes have to take the entire netbook apart on some models.

You will have to ask specifically about the model you are buying.

The disadvantages are:
1. Graphics card: Which means you cannot play any real game. That is not a big problem for me.
2. No optical drive. I thought that that I will not need it. But installing software becomes a pain as they come on DVD. You may need an external one.
3. The sound is low. But it is as per specifications. I did not pay much attention to it while purchasing it.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 3:31:38 PM
At 6/7/2011 1:08:56 PM, baggins wrote:
At 6/7/2011 12:41:03 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Yes. They are easy to carry and battery life is a big bonus.

Keyboard size may be a concern if you do a lot of typing. You can get a seperate keyboard and keep it at your workplace.

Not at all. I personalized it a bit - and the font size is exactly same.

Not really. I think my earlier laptop used to heat up faster.

I use Samsung N148. It works quite well.

Don't have much idea. I installed Ubuntu, in addition to Windows 7. It was quite simple.

You will have to ask specifically about the model you are buying.

The disadvantages are:
1. Graphics card: Which means you cannot play any real game. That is not a big problem for me.
2. No optical drive. I thought that that I will not need it. But installing software becomes a pain as they come on DVD. You may need an external one.
3. The sound is low. But it is as per specifications. I did not pay much attention to it while purchasing it.

Maybe I should find one with a bigger keyboard because I do type a lot.

That's an interesting fact that they don't have video cards that are good for games. I don't do a lot of gaming but it's fun to break out OpenArena occacionally.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 12:08:39 AM
I am a big fan of netbooks. I bought a refurbished Gateway, which is really Asus, for about $200. It runs a version of Windows 7 and will run apps like Photoshop Elements without a problem. I get about 5 hours on the battery.

The screen is easy to read, but it's too small to have more than one app open at a time. I don't have a problem typing, but that's going to be personal preference. Netbooks have lots of USB ports, so you could plug in a full-sized keyboard when you have room for it. I bought a $40 portable DVD RW drive that works fine with it.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 5:53:30 PM
Cool, I'm excited to get one. Where did you get your refurbished Asus Roy?

I won't miss the optical drive. I never need one with Linux.

I guess that's basically what makes a netbook though: the abesence of an optical drive. Seems weird that you can remove that one component and a laptop becomes a netbook. I guess a smaller screen and keyboard play a role, but still.

webos1337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 2:42:11 PM
Please dont get a netbook, they are utter CRAP.
For the same price get yourself a simple notebook which can actually keep up with reasonable tasks, please take this advice. Netbooks are slow, just really slow. I dont care what processor it has, it's going to be slow and break in a couple months.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 3:06:13 PM
Nah, they are plenty fat enough for ordinary tasks like the web, e-mail, e-book, writing, and even Photoshop[tm] for simple edits. The virtues are the compact size and long battery life. Not so good for video games, I suspect.

That said, modern times seem to be leading to having a hierarchy of devices: smart phone, netbook or tablet, small laptop, large laptop (17" screen), and desktop (two or more 23" screens). I'm not exactly sure why this turns out to be logical, but it seems to be the case.