Jump to topic:

Is the internet safe?

joshykins1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 6:52:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Reading about all the recent high profiled hacks around the world, you have to wonder is the internet safe for the average Joe and Joanna. Sony Entertainments got hacked, Lockheed-Martin (military contractors) got hacked, IMF got hacked, and the more recently Citibank got hacked too.

These are only high profile attacks and the laws in the country of the users OBLIGATES them to publish about the hacks. Taking this with a pinch of salt, I'm betting that other countries and/or smaller scale hacks goes unreported and are covered up if they can get away with it.

There are also major seemingly reputable companies like Google and Facebook stealthily recording and using that information to launch a mini advertisement campaign against you. You have to wonder too, what else do they do with the information?

The internet is becoming more of a hostile environment with your private information being more valued than ever. Is it really safe anymore?
smc_gamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 8:26:46 AM
It's safe if you take the right precautions (anti-malware, don't browse bad websites). Though, I don't think that the high-profile hacks mean that everyone's has a risk of being hacked, because most people aren't big enough to be worth it.
"If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?"
-Hobbes
joshykins1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 7:41:07 AM
With cloud computing becoming the next step in internet and pc integration, I can't help to wonder is it safe to put our information and data on to a server.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 6:35:09 PM
I'm so happy Sony got hacked; I got Infamous and Dead Nation free through the 'Welcome Back!' package.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 6:38:14 PM
At 6/13/2011 6:35:09 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I'm so happy Sony got hacked; I got Infamous and Dead Nation free through the 'Welcome Back!' package.

I didn't, but my friend got Infamous :I

He loves to watch me play video games
Kfc.
joshykins1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 6:57:29 AM

Great games xD

although dead nation server issue is a pain :/
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 12:14:25 AM

I got infamous as well with the package, although I haven't played it yet because I got the second one shortly after. (which is great by the way)
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)