Jump to topic:

proxy server is not responding.

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 10:30:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've been using firefox as my web browser since it works so well for other people I know, but now I try loading any site at all on it and it brings me to a page that says this
"The proxy server is refusing connections

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
working."

and then a "try again" button.

the proxy server is Earthlink right, what I get dial up internet acces though. I found I can still get on this site though though earthlinks default browser enternet explorer, I just get the problem when useing firefox for right now.

any suggestions as to what is wrong now that was not wrong before and what I can do about it?
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2011 6:54:02 PM
At 6/27/2011 10:30:38 PM, Marauder wrote:
I've been using firefox as my web browser since it works so well for other people I know, but now I try loading any site at all on it and it brings me to a page that says this

working."

the proxy server is Earthlink right, what I get dial up internet acces though. I found I can still get on this site though though earthlinks default browser enternet explorer, I just get the problem when useing firefox for right now.

any suggestions as to what is wrong now that was not wrong before and what I can do about it?

In FF go to Tools/Options/Advanced/Network/Settings. Is it set for "Manual proxy". It should probably be set to "Use system proxy settings" or "No proxy".
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2011 10:00:41 PM
At 6/28/2011 6:54:02 PM, vbaculum wrote:

working."

In FF go to Tools/Options/Advanced/Network/Settings. Is it set for "Manual proxy". It should probably be set to "Use system proxy settings" or "No proxy".

this. Typically caused by trojans.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 2:21:17 AM
(And if you haven't already, upgrade to FF5)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 8:16:13 AM
At 6/29/2011 8:12:16 AM, Brainmaster wrote:
At 6/29/2011 2:21:17 AM, tvellalott wrote:

You still use FF? Lol dump it for Chrome

Chrome is pretty good. Not as good as FF.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 12:47:56 PM
At 6/28/2011 10:00:41 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/28/2011 6:54:02 PM, vbaculum wrote:

working."

this. Typically caused by trojans.

I didn't know this was typically done by trojans but I thought it seemed really suspicious. OP, check your system for virus and sh!t if there turns out to be mysterious proxy settings in FF.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 12:52:45 PM
At 6/29/2011 8:16:13 AM, Thaddeus wrote:

I love that Chrome and Chromium barely use any memory (quite unlike FF). So I end up using it on my low memory computers. I hate leaving my FF plugin's behind though and I really like FF's Live Bookmarks. Chrome has a plugin for this but I don't like the way it looks. It hides itself in the corner so you can't see them all.

Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 1:23:12 PM
At 6/29/2011 12:52:45 PM, vbaculum wrote:

I love that Chrome and Chromium barely use any memory (quite unlike FF). So I end up using it on my low memory computers. I hate leaving my FF plugin's behind though and I really like FF's Live Bookmarks. Chrome has a plugin for this but I don't like the way it looks. It hides itself in the corner so you can't see them all.

FF is too slow for me. I have a modern computer, running XP and a 2.5 GHZ processor and the like, but Chrome is still tons faster.
Kfc.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 2:18:21 PM
At 6/29/2011 1:23:12 PM, Brainmaster wrote:

FF is too slow for me. I have a modern computer, running XP and a 2.5 GHZ processor and the like, but Chrome is still tons faster.

How much memory do you have. If FF is using it all up it will slow your computer down because the OS will be busy swapping pages of memory to your hard drive. FF can be a little sluggish but even on my very low end systems it runs pretty well if there is memory available.

Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 3:04:10 PM
At 6/29/2011 2:18:21 PM, vbaculum wrote:

How much memory do you have. If FF is using it all up it will slow your computer down because the OS will be busy swapping pages of memory to your hard drive. FF can be a little sluggish but even on my very low end systems it runs pretty well if there is memory available.

2.8 gb
Kfc.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:51:19 PM
I'll debate FF versus Chrome ANY DAY.

Muh threads
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 2:53:57 PM
At 6/29/2011 3:04:10 PM, Brainmaster wrote:

2.8 gb

Sounds like it's time to reinstall Windows (either that or you are very sensitive to UI delays). I've always noticed that after a few months Windows slows down. People always say it's because the registry is filling up. I thought Win7 would have fixed that problem but lately my Win7 box at work has been going a little slow.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 8:41:38 PM
At 6/30/2011 4:59:41 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
yes...1...2...3....4

WTF?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 8:48:49 PM
At 6/30/2011 4:59:41 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
yes...1...2...3....4

I don't wanna get buriiied, in a pet cemmmmmetery.

Muh threads
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 11:56:57 PM
At 6/30/2011 2:53:57 PM, vbaculum wrote:

2.8 gb

Sounds like it's time to reinstall Windows (either that or you are very sensitive to UI delays). I've always noticed that after a few months Windows slows down. People always say it's because the registry is filling up. I thought Win7 would have fixed that problem but lately my Win7 box at work has been going a little slow.

no it's literally impossible for your "registry to fill up" Unless you have a 300 mb hard drive I'd say you're fine

Why your computer slows down:

You have programs that automatically start when windows starts. As you install them if you don't unclick a check box they will start up.

how to remove

Start menu, all programs, startup folder, right click and open for all users, delete all unnecessary programs (meaning keep your antivirus if it's in there)

Also there are 2 registry hives or 3 depending upon if you have 64 bit or not.

regular 2 which will exist no matter if you have 64 or 32 bit where 32 bit apps will run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

2 extra if you have 64 bit where 64bit apps will code themselves to autostart

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

simply go to start menu, then in the bar (or click run if you have xp) type regedit

navigate to those locations
and delete all values within the folder BUT DO NOT DELETE:

1. Antivirus program
2. Default value

Also remove your current antivirus and get avira, make sure you don't have two programs

also go to start, then type in the bar (or run if xp) services.msc

Rank by started and identify services that relate to programs you don't use and disable.

then restart

I know of all the services you can safetly disable but am too tired to go through it. If you have questions about a service just ask
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 11:58:36 PM
Alternatively, you could download Registry Mechanic via a torrent.

Muh threads
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 6:59:35 AM
At 6/30/2011 11:58:36 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Alternatively, you could download Registry Mechanic via a torrent.

that does absolutely nothing to speed up your computer it deletes a few unnecessary registry files which removes a few hundred kilobytes.
Minuteman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 7:26:00 AM
At 6/30/2011 11:56:57 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/30/2011 2:53:57 PM, vbaculum wrote:

2.8 gb

no it's literally impossible for your "registry to fill up" Unless you have a 300 mb hard drive I'd say you're fine

Why your computer slows down:

You have programs that automatically start when windows starts. As you install them if you don't unclick a check box they will start up.

how to remove

Start menu, all programs, startup folder, right click and open for all users, delete all unnecessary programs (meaning keep your antivirus if it's in there)

Also there are 2 registry hives or 3 depending upon if you have 64 bit or not.

regular 2 which will exist no matter if you have 64 or 32 bit where 32 bit apps will run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

2 extra if you have 64 bit where 64bit apps will code themselves to autostart

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

simply go to start menu, then in the bar (or click run if you have xp) type regedit

navigate to those locations
and delete all values within the folder BUT DO NOT DELETE:

1. Antivirus program
2. Default value

Also remove your current antivirus and get avira, make sure you don't have two programs

also go to start, then type in the bar (or run if xp) services.msc

Rank by started and identify services that relate to programs you don't use and disable.

then restart

I know of all the services you can safetly disable but am too tired to go through it. If you have questions about a service just ask

I do delete unnecesary stuff all the time, I uninstalled LOTRO yesterday because I never play it.