Jump to topic:

Tethering

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 4:30:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does anyone know about tethering to an Iphone? I'm going to be on vacation in a couple weeks and there's no Wifi where I'm going. I think I'll have to pay something more, and that's fine, just am not sure if i need to speak with AT&T or if there is some ap i need to download.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:15:18 PM
At 7/9/2011 4:30:01 PM, innomen wrote:
Does anyone know about tethering to an Iphone? I'm going to be on vacation in a couple weeks and there's no Wifi where I'm going. I think I'll have to pay something more, and that's fine, just am not sure if i need to speak with AT&T or if there is some ap i need to download.

Some phones can create their own WiFi using a Mobile Hotspot Program. There isnt an app you can download that gives your phone the capability to create internet. It has to be pre-built into your phone. Only a few phones I know of can do this, I think Palm's phones do and maybe iphone 4 does. Plus its $20 a month on a contract to be able to create a mobile hotspot.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:30:43 PM
At 7/10/2011 3:15:18 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Some phones can create their own WiFi using a Mobile Hotspot Program. There isnt an app you can download that gives your phone the capability to create internet. It has to be pre-built into your phone. Only a few phones I know of can do this, I think Palm's phones do and maybe iphone 4 does. Plus its $20 a month on a contract to be able to create a mobile hotspot.

I just found it on my Iphone 4. I will have to agree to the $20 a month charge, but i wonder how well it will work.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:32:07 PM
At 7/10/2011 3:30:43 PM, innomen wrote:
At 7/10/2011 3:15:18 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

I just found it on my Iphone 4. I will have to agree to the $20 a month charge, but i wonder how well it will work.

You can't move about 15 feet away from the phone or it will lose connection.
webos1337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 1:17:26 AM
I've tried this on a Verizon iPhone and Palm Pre Plus and it works great, i use it all the time. Everything really depends on your reception and makes sure your phone is plugged into your computer or into the wall for best performance because the battery lasts like an hour....
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 12:34:12 AM
My now-old Droid X has a built-in wi-fi hotspot capability. It will support up to four users on laptops, or whatever. It takes quite a bit of power, so the phone really should be plugged into power. The capability works very well. It's also useful for hotels that charge $6 - $15 a day for internet access. Fortunately such rip-offs are less common now.