Jump to topic:

Which assault rifle is better?

Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 1:00:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ok so at my last school I got in debate after debate about which assault is better. The AK-47 or the M-16? Personally I think the AK is better because it is more reliable, whereas the M-16 jams a lot. Which gun do yall think is better and why?
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 1:12:17 AM
At 7/11/2011 1:00:19 AM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
Ok so at my last school I got in debate after debate about which assault is better. The AK-47 or the M-16? Personally I think the AK is better because it is more reliable, whereas the M-16 jams a lot. Which gun do yall think is better and why?

I heard that the M-16 got a lot of its infamy for being unreliable when it first became widely used in combat. But after they stamped all the bugs out the reputation stayed.

The fact that the U.S. uses the M-16 over the AK-47 or AK variants also should be huge hint.

Get this, the Chinese Army makes their own copies of M-16s and M-16 variants.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 1:16:57 AM
At 7/11/2011 1:12:17 AM, quarterexchange wrote:

I heard that the M-16 got a lot of its infamy for being unreliable when it first became widely used in combat. But after they stamped all the bugs out the reputation stayed.

The fact that the U.S. uses the M-16 over the AK-47 or AK variants also should be huge hint.

Yes but I have spoken with severial armed forces members and they hate the M-16.
Also the Chinease make the Type 56 Ak and give it to their national gaurd while, the norinco version of the M-16 is just shipped and given to police forces.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 1:26:18 AM
At 7/11/2011 1:16:57 AM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:

Yes but I have spoken with severial armed forces members and they hate the M-16.
Also the Chinease make the Type 56 Ak and give it to their national gaurd while, the norinco version of the M-16 is just shipped and given to police forces.

The Chinese military is essentially the Chinese police.

Even after the U.S. left Vietnam and left large amounts of M-16s behind, the Vietnamese captured them and continued to use them in their armed forces.

No military that uses M-16s or M-16 variants bothers copying or capturing AK-47s.

When soldiers in active combat zones begin swapping out M-16s for Ak-47s then I'll be convinced.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 6:30:43 PM
Where are you fighting?
What range do you want to fight at?
How well trained are your troops?
How's your equipment budget per soldier?
How robust is your logistics?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 8:21:32 PM
At 7/11/2011 1:16:57 AM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:

The assault rifle of all Chinese Armed Forces and Chinese law enforcement is the QBZ-95 in 5.8x52mm.

Ontopic: The M16 is simply a more superior weapon. Sure, the weapon had its problems during Vietnam, although this was primarily because they were deployed without cleaning kits. Over the years, the weapon has been perfected and it is extremely reliable.

The "unreliability" of the M16 is primarily due to its gas operation; direct gas impingement instead of a gas piston, but there are more PROS to CONS to keeping direct gas impingement.

Weapons that use direct gas impingement require less combustion gas to cycle the bolt carrier, thus the muzzle velocity of the weapon is naturally higher than that of gas piston weapon of the same origin. As we all know, the higher the muzzle velocity, the flatter shooting the projectile (more accuracy.)

Another pro to direct gas impingement is that it offers a higher rate of fire, due to that gas pistons obviously take longer to cycle the bolt carrier whilst in the M16, the bolt carrier acts as a piston itself, albeit not the most reliable one.
turn down for h'what
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 4:17:22 PM
At 7/11/2011 6:30:43 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Where are you fighting?
What range do you want to fight at?
How well trained are your troops?
How's your equipment budget per soldier?
How robust is your logistics?

Excellent post.

Semper Fi!
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 3:04:53 PM
Ok so at my last school I got in debate after debate about which assault is better. The AK-47 or the M-16? Personally I think the AK is better because it is more reliable, whereas the M-16 jams a lot. Which gun do yall think is better and why?:

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Both have pro's and con's.

The standard M-16 and its variants (M4, AR-15) are prone to misfeeds and jams when it is not clean. In order to have a reliable functioning M16, it has to be clean. In a combat zone, keeping a weapon clean is not the easiest thing to do, and in the thick of a gunfight is not the time you want a weapon malfunction.

That said, the accuracy and range of the M16 is far superior to the AK-47. It's an actual precision rifle, not merely a sub-machine gun meant to spray lead. In the hands of a good operator, the kill ratio is far superior.

However, the reliability of the AK is far superior to that of the M16. You can run mud or sand through the chamber and chances are it's still going to fire and its 762 caliber is more likely to knock down an enemy combatant more so than the .223 of the M16.

M16 for accuracy, AK-47 for reliability.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 3:10:57 AM
At 7/11/2011 2:42:06 AM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 7/11/2011 2:36:07 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
M14 trumps all.

I can agree with you there.

Semper Fidelis