Jump to topic:

Electric Vehicles

Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 7:25:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Topic: I am learning about EVs (Electic Vehicles) for a future project. I plan to build an electric vehicle.

Does anyone on this website have any knowledge or experience in the subject?

Thoughts and ideas are welcome.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 10:18:39 PM
don't you'll contribute to global warming :P
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 10:31:47 PM
They're inefficient at the moment because the conversion of electrical energy to chemical energy (charging the car) is inefficient and because an EV with a reasonable capacity must weigh so much more than its competitor with the internal combustion engine.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 10:42:57 PM
At 7/12/2011 10:31:47 PM, wjmelements wrote:
They're inefficient at the moment because the conversion of electrical energy to chemical energy (charging the car) is inefficient and because an EV with a reasonable capacity must weigh so much more than its competitor with the internal combustion engine.

Reply: They are efficient for short distances (under 100 miles). The efficiency is raising more and more every year. I don't really drive more than 50 miles at a time. Also, it is my hope to find a way to attach alternators to the wheels and a wind turbine which are both powered to turn while the car is driving. I think this could be a great addition to the concept and I'm sure that it has been tried.

Do you have any information on this?
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 11:28:52 PM
At 7/12/2011 10:42:57 PM, Tiel wrote:
Also, it is my hope to find a way to attach alternators to the wheels and a wind turbine which are both powered to turn while the car is driving. I think this could be a great addition to the concept and I'm sure that it has been tried.

Yes. The energy causing the wind turbine to spin while the car is in motion is provided primarily by the motion of the vehicle. It will produce more air resistance than energy. My friend did it as a blow-off science fair project. He knew it would be inefficient.

Also, what are alternators?
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 11:35:30 PM
At 7/12/2011 11:28:52 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Also, it is my hope to find a way to attach alternators to the wheels and a wind turbine which are both powered to turn while the car is driving. I think this could be a great addition to the concept and I'm sure that it has been tried.

Yes. The energy causing the wind turbine to spin while the car is in motion is provided primarily by the motion of the vehicle. It will produce more air resistance than energy. My friend did it as a blow-off science fair project. He knew it would be inefficient.

Also, what are alternators?

An alternator converts mechanical energy to alternating current.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 9:17:51 PM

This
There's a reason it's not done by anyone hah
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 10:43:51 PM
At 7/12/2011 11:35:30 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Also, it is my hope to find a way to attach alternators to the wheels
what are alternators?

As a breaking mechanism, this would save energy to a large degree. It would convert energy from the motion of the car into alternating current that would later cause the car to begin moving again. An effective system would have to be designed to ensure that the energy can be obtained quickly enough to stop the car within a reasonable time frame.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 10:45:01 PM
At 7/13/2011 9:17:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:

This

Reply: I will see. Anything that can help generate electrical power from the force that the car makes while moving. Having alternators attached to the axles would be my first choice, followed by a medium sized vertical wind turbine design turned on it's side. It would be my hope that if the turbine is placed in the right area, it will take advantage of the wind flow underneath or in front of the car. I will see when I try it.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 10:58:43 PM
The Ford Nucleon is an better alternative than electric cars, electric cars will only be remotely efficient if we used Tesla Coil like arrays on our streets to power them up. http://en.wikipedia.org... http://www.damninteresting.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 11:06:00 PM
At 7/13/2011 10:43:51 PM, wjmelements wrote:
what are alternators?

As a breaking mechanism, this would save energy to a large degree. It would convert energy from the motion of the car into alternating current that would later cause the car to begin moving again. An effective system would have to be designed to ensure that the energy can be obtained quickly enough to stop the car within a reasonable time frame.

I'm not sure if they're currently used for brakes, but they do power the car batteries. That's an interesting idea, it never occurred to me that they could be used for brakes.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 11:19:40 PM
At 7/13/2011 10:45:01 PM, Tiel wrote:

This

Reply: I will see. Anything that can help generate electrical power from the force that the car makes while moving. Having alternators attached to the axles would be my first choice, followed by a medium sized vertical wind turbine design turned on it's side. It would be my hope that if the turbine is placed in the right area, it will take advantage of the wind flow underneath or in front of the car. I will see when I try it.

Conservation of energy. Energy can not be produced without removing it (evenly) from somewhere else. You can only produce energy with a wind turbine if the turbine is getting its energy from the wind. If it's getting it from the motion of the car, you're working against the car's motion to produce motion.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 11:20:59 PM
At 7/13/2011 11:06:00 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
what are alternators?

I'm not sure if they're currently used for brakes, but they do power the car batteries. That's an interesting idea, it never occurred to me that they could be used for brakes.

I had that idea when I was learning to drive standard. All of the energy produced from bringing the car to a halt is made into heat.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 3:05:59 AM
At 7/13/2011 10:58:43 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
The Ford Nucleon is an better alternative than electric cars, electric cars will only be remotely efficient if we used Tesla Coil like arrays on our streets to power them up. http://en.wikipedia.org... http://www.damninteresting.com...

Reply: they are already efficient. China has an electric SUV that is coming here in the next few years and it gets about 100 miles to a full charge. That distance fits in with almost everyone's normal daily driving behavior. If not, get a hybrid for now I guess. My plan is to develop an electric system that continually charges some of the battery stack while it drives, so it raises the max distance. Also, imagine if electric charge stations started popping up like gas stations. you could charge your car there or become a member and have your dead battery stack swapped out for a fully charged battery stack (for a price of course). There are many possibilities.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 10:47:43 AM
At 7/14/2011 3:05:59 AM, Tiel wrote:

Reply: they are already efficient. China has an electric SUV that is coming here in the next few years and it gets about 100 miles to a full charge. That distance fits in with almost everyone's normal daily driving behavior. If not, get a hybrid for now I guess. My plan is to develop an electric system that continually charges some of the battery stack while it drives, so it raises the max distance. Also, imagine if electric charge stations started popping up like gas stations. you could charge your car there or become a member and have your dead battery stack swapped out for a fully charged battery stack (for a price of course). There are many possibilities.

100 miles is not efficient, the Ford Nucleon is efficient, my old gas guzzler is efficient [that has been modified to run on wood gas, alcohol, and spent oil], but an electric car that can only give me 100 miles is not efficient. I live in Georgia so everything is miles away you cannot possibly get anywhere using an vehicle that only can go 100 miles. It would defy the purpose and it is best that one uses something that I can at least go for several days without needing to refuel than something I would always have to plug in every night.
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 2:44:43 PM
At 7/13/2011 11:19:40 PM, wjmelements wrote:

This

Conservation of energy. Energy can not be produced without removing it (evenly) from somewhere else. You can only produce energy with a wind turbine if the turbine is getting its energy from the wind. If it's getting it from the motion of the car, you're working against the car's motion to produce motion.

Reply: That's what I was talking about. Capturing the force of the wind that is produced by the motion of the vehicle.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 2:53:50 PM
At 7/14/2011 10:47:43 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

100 miles is not efficient, the Ford Nucleon is efficient, my old gas guzzler is efficient [that has been modified to run on wood gas, alcohol, and spent oil], but an electric car that can only give me 100 miles is not efficient. I live in Georgia so everything is miles away you cannot possibly get anywhere using an vehicle that only can go 100 miles. It would defy the purpose and it is best that one uses something that I can at least go for several days without needing to refuel than something I would always have to plug in every night.

Reply: It's efficient when you can learn to adapt your expectations. There are multiple ways to incorporate electric.

- You could have a battery stack charging at home already, then just swap it out when you need it.

- Charge your one battery stack anytime you are not driving. (This is really not that big of an inconvenience, it's just plugging a cord in to the wall.)

- You could go to your nearest charge station for a quick charge or for a stack swap.

- Electric charging systems could be incorporated into parking lots, so that you could pay a meter and charge your car.

- Incorporate PV cells onto the exterior of your car to capture solar energy for recharging the batteries.

- Incorporate a wind turbine underneath the car to help generate electricity while the car is in motion.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 3:01:21 PM
At 7/14/2011 2:44:43 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 7/13/2011 11:19:40 PM, wjmelements wrote:

This

Reply: That's what I was talking about. Capturing the force of the wind that is produced by the motion of the vehicle.

However, that isn't actually wind, it's just air passing by the car in the opposite direction because of the car's kinetic energy. If you try to take some of this kinetic energy and convert it back into potential energy, the car will have less kinetic energy, and will slow down. You can't just create energy like that, because as wjmelements said, it would violate the law of conservation of energy.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 4:12:20 PM
At 7/14/2011 2:53:50 PM, Tiel wrote:

Reply: It's efficient when you can learn to adapt your expectations. There are multiple ways to incorporate electric.

- You could have a battery stack charging at home already, then just swap it out when you need it.

Not efficient enough for me and my family.

- Charge your one battery stack anytime you are not driving. (This is really not that big of an inconvenience, it's just plugging a cord in to the wall.)

Still not efficient for the way me and my family live.

- You could go to your nearest charge station for a quick charge or for a stack swap.

There are no charge stations, so it still doesn't work for me, plus even if there are the power sources for my car that I have mentioned prior are far more abundant and easier to get [excluding the uranium for the Nucleon].

- Electric charging systems could be incorporated into parking lots, so that you could pay a meter and charge your car.

Why would we do that when I can get alcohol, wood clippings [for the wood gassifier] and spent cooking oil into my car and park at McDonald's for free?

- Incorporate PV cells onto the exterior of your car to capture solar energy for recharging the batteries.

Cloudy days and endless nights.

- Incorporate a wind turbine underneath the car to help generate electricity while the car is in motion.

Does not produce enough energy to actually run the car indefinitely.

The Ford Nucleon and my car that runs on wood gas, alcohol, and spent cooking oil remains far more efficient.
Minister Of Trolling
:
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 6:21:03 PM
At 7/14/2011 4:12:20 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

There are no charge stations, so it still doesn't work for me, plus even if there are the power sources for my car that I have mentioned prior are far more abundant and easier to get [excluding the uranium for the Nucleon].

Why would we do that when I can get alcohol, wood clippings [for the wood gassifier] and spent cooking oil into my car and park at McDonald's for free?

The Ford Nucleon and my car that runs on wood gas, alcohol, and spent cooking oil remains far more efficient.

Reply: I understand that maybe you personally don't like it, but it would indeed work for many people. You are acting stubborn to the overall idea as a whole. You are only one person. Many people would find it very efficient when compared to the price of gas and the maintenance costs of combustion engines. Most people drive well under a hundred miles a day and if they drove more, the ideas I posted previously would fix the problem.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 7:38:11 PM
At 7/14/2011 6:21:03 PM, Tiel wrote:

Reply: I understand that maybe you personally don't like it, but it would indeed work for many people. You are acting stubborn to the overall idea as a whole. You are only one person. Many people would find it very efficient when compared to the price of gas and the maintenance costs of combustion engines. Most people drive well under a hundred miles a day and if they drove more, the ideas I posted previously would fix the problem.

It will not work for most people who live in Southern States and Alaska, we can find the materials that my internal combustion engine runs on easier than we can electrical outlets.
Minister Of Trolling
:
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 7:39:19 PM
At 7/13/2011 11:20:59 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 7/13/2011 11:06:00 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
what are alternators?

I had that idea when I was learning to drive standard. All of the energy produced from bringing the car to a halt is made into heat.

Don't hybrids do that or something?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 10:58:46 PM
To SRW: It will work for most people. For those that can't use the technology yet, they can use a hybrid or wood chips like you seem to love so much.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 12:16:48 AM
At 7/14/2011 10:58:46 PM, Tiel wrote:
To SRW: It will work for most people. For those that can't use the technology yet, they can use a hybrid or wood chips like you seem to love so much.

You don't seem to fully comprehend how most people down south live and I can understand this. For us it will always be cheaper, cleaner, and more efficient to use these free materials that can be found in just about any field or lawn. The Nucleon is also an good clean viable option, especially so if we used Traveling Wave Reactors so they can run on spent nuclear material. These are far better than electric cars [especially so in our southern environment].
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 12:42:43 AM

I'll debate you on that. On both claims.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 12:46:04 AM
what are alternators?

They already use this in some racecars, as a hybrid system to save energy when they slow for turns, then gives the energy to accelerate back up after the turn.
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 1:37:49 AM
At 7/15/2011 12:42:43 AM, OreEle wrote:

I'll debate you on that. On both claims.

Get him OreEle. He doesn't know what he's talking about!
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 9:46:01 AM

What are your needs of a vehicle? Talking about towing capasity, daily milage, city travel or hwy, people (do you carpool with others, or just drive yourself around).

no such thing as an endless night, and PV cells still function on cloudy days (just not as well).

Actually, doesn't produce any energy, it will lose energy. Any wind turbine will create drag, and convert that drag into energy, but since it is not possible to be 100% efficient (let alone greater than 100%), it will cost more energy than it makes.

What car do you have?
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:54:07 PM
At 7/15/2011 9:46:01 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

What are your needs of a vehicle? Talking about towing capasity, daily milage, city travel or hwy, people (do you carpool with others, or just drive yourself around).

We use our vehicles for just about everything, we do not carpool considering how far away everyone must go to work. My parents must drive on average 90 miles [individually] between work and home [their jobs are about 45 miles away, so it takes about 90 miles to go from home to work to home] and this does not calculate for lunch breaks [probably 1-2 miles], visiting friends and family during free time [15-50 miles from where we live] sometimes we carry our grills, food, and other such things to parks and stuff for holiday and family events.

no such thing as an endless night, and PV cells still function on cloudy days (just not as well).

True, there are no endless nights it was simply being used as an extension of an concept, they don't work at night.

Actually, doesn't produce any energy, it will lose energy. Any wind turbine will create drag, and convert that drag into energy, but since it is not possible to be 100% efficient (let alone greater than 100%), it will cost more energy than it makes.

Didn't know that, you have just taught me something during my summer vacation [Dangit OreEle]!

What car do you have?

Mine is a old green Isuzu Trooper that has an added wood gassifier and an modified engine to run on both alcohol and spent cooking oil.
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:10:51 PM
At 7/15/2011 2:54:07 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 7/15/2011 9:46:01 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

We use our vehicles for just about everything, we do not carpool considering how far away everyone must go to work. My parents must drive on average 90 miles [individually] between work and home [their jobs are about 45 miles away, so it takes about 90 miles to go from home to work to home] and this does not calculate for lunch breaks [probably 1-2 miles], visiting friends and family during free time [15-50 miles from where we live] sometimes we carry our grills, food, and other such things to parks and stuff for holiday and family events.

In which case, a hybrid is probably ideal for your family. Electric engines will save gas in the stop and go of any city or highway traffic (if there is no city or traffic, then normal gas would probably be best, since hybrids can be costly to maintain, and if you aren't getting the benefit, no point in paying the cost).

True, there are no endless nights it was simply being used as an extension of an concept, they don't work at night.

True, but a PV cell on your roof would likely be about 2 meters square, which could be as much as 275 watts. Pending where you live and the time of year, most states get an average of 5 - 7 sun hours a day (lets say 6 as a middle). That is 1.65 kW per day or 11.5 kW per week (about 35 miles woth of energy). It's not much and it isn't going to fill your battery, but it can help. Especailly for someone like me that drives only 100 miles a week (it would cut my car's energy bill by 35%).

One of the biggest drawbacks is not the night time or clouds, since those are already factored into the average sun hours per day, but if you have to park under cover (like in a parking garage) at work.

Didn't know that, you have just taught me something during my summer vacation [Dangit OreEle]!

What car do you have?

Mine is a old green Isuzu Trooper that has an added wood gassifier and an modified engine to run on both alcohol and spent cooking oil.

Okay, you were just confusing me with the Ford Nucleon, since they never really made those.