Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Best Free Program For Writing a Book

SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 4:19:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
What are your requirements for this program?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 4:25:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
google is your friend. Anyway, if there's a program you really want that isn't free you can still get it for free through utorrent.com like the rest of the internet world. It slows down the computer though, so use it on a pc that you don't care too much for.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 6:46:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 5:08:21 AM, Kinesis wrote:
If you don't want to use Word, try OpenOffice. I've heard that's it's better, and it's free.

http://www.openoffice.org...
Long as you aren't writing in a right to left language Open Office is great.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 7:13:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 6:46:30 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Long as you aren't writing in a right to left language Open Office is great.

That's an interesting caveat: do you write in a right to left language at all?
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:53:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 4:07:34 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm looking for a good free program to use to start my book with. Much appreciated.

Why don't you "buy" a program, instead. Why do you think you should get it for free?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:02:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 1:53:30 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 8/20/2011 4:07:34 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm looking for a good free program to use to start my book with. Much appreciated.

Why don't you "buy" a program, instead. Why do you think you should get it for free?

He's simply asking for a program that is offered for free. Google Searches, lolipops at hair salons, luggage tags at airports, etc are all offered for free too. I expect you to start paying for those now. If he was asking for some pirated writing program that would be another thing.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:06:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 1:53:30 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 8/20/2011 4:07:34 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm looking for a good free program to use to start my book with. Much appreciated.

Why don't you "buy" a program, instead. Why do you think you should get it for free?

Because he is used to pirating MP3's which by extension makes him a Communist Terrorist!!!
http://cache.gawker.com...
http://www.treetrybe.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:55:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 2:02:50 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 8/20/2011 1:53:30 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 8/20/2011 4:07:34 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm looking for a good free program to use to start my book with. Much appreciated.

Why don't you "buy" a program, instead. Why do you think you should get it for free?

He's simply asking for a program that is offered for free. Google Searches, lollipops at hair salons, luggage tags at airports, etc are all offered for free too. I expect you to start paying for those now. If he was asking for some pirated writing program that would be another thing.

None of the items you listed are "free" Advertisers "pay" for google in the hopes that you will buy a product or service. Lollipops are included in the price of the hair cut. Luggage tags are included in the price of your airline ticket. I seriously doubt that he would acknowledge or pay a royalty to someone who provided him with what he wanted should he become a successful writer. That can clearly be seen in the fact he's asking for something of value for nothing. He clearly sees no value in a book writing program because he's not willing to pay anything for it.

Nothing is "free" except to thieves until they get caught. Someone paid for what you "think" you got free. In most cases you did but were to naive to know. Such as luggage tags and lollipops.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 4:50:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 2:55:11 PM, sadolite wrote:

None of the items you listed are "free" Advertisers "pay" for google in the hopes that you will buy a product or service.

The same will probably go for a writing program offered for free

I seriously doubt that he would acknowledge or pay a royalty to someone who provided him with what he wanted should he become a successful writer.

Oh and you acknowledge internet ads when you use Google and Yahoo?

The fact of the matter is that private entities offer various products and services for free to consumers, whether or not they even buy a product. The same goes for whatever free writing program FREEDO happens to find.

Nothing is "free" except to thieves until they get caught. Someone paid for what you "think" you got free. In most cases you did but were to naive to know. Such as luggage tags and lollipops.

I didn't say they were free, I said they were offered for free.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 6:24:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 5:08:21 AM, Kinesis wrote:
If you don't want to use Word, try OpenOffice. I've heard that's it's better, and it's free.

http://www.openoffice.org...

Thanks. I'll try this out.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 6:24:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 1:53:30 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 8/20/2011 4:07:34 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm looking for a good free program to use to start my book with. Much appreciated.

Why don't you "buy" a program, instead. Why do you think you should get it for free?

What is this I dont even
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 7:04:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If you're writing a novel, Celtx is good too. You can write screenplays, stageplays, novels, etc. It comes in handy. May wanna check it out.

http://celtx.com...

PS: I DID get your message, I saw it in my email, but it isn't on here. And, to answer your questing--I'm no longer interested in politics. I'll be playing Mafia with Ore_Ele. But keep me posted on any games you cook up.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 8:39:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 4:50:50 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 8/20/2011 2:55:11 PM, sadolite wrote:

None of the items you listed are "free" Advertisers "pay" for google in the hopes that you will buy a product or service.

The same will probably go for a writing program offered for free

I seriously doubt that he would acknowledge or pay a royalty to someone who provided him with what he wanted should he become a successful writer.

Oh and you acknowledge internet ads when you use Google and Yahoo?

The fact of the matter is that private entities offer various products and services for free to consumers, whether or not they even buy a product. The same goes for whatever free writing program FREEDO happens to find.

Nothing is "free" except to thieves until they get caught. Someone paid for what you "think" you got free. In most cases you did but were to naive to know. Such as luggage tags and lollipops.

I didn't say they were free, I said they were offered for free.

As a matter of fact I do. I do all my shopping for hard goods on line almost exclusively.

All programs are offered for "free" with the expectation of purchase of a full version. If he uses the trail version to help him and writes a successful book and doesn't acknowledge or pay a royalty he has no character or morals. It is precisely the attitude that makes intellectual property and the work people put into it worthless. Why does anyone think they should get anything for free? The entitlement culture showing it's true colors.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 9:44:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 7:13:05 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 8/20/2011 6:46:30 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Long as you aren't writing in a right to left language Open Office is great.

That's an interesting caveat: do you write in a right to left language at all?

How else would I know that Open Office gets frustrating as nine thousand hells trying to make it format itself properly for a right to left language?

(although it's not quite as bad as writing it on DDO)

حال تفحمي؟
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 9:51:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
All programs are offered for "free" with the expectation of purchase of a full version.
That's not true. Some are offered in order to build the creator's reputation or to make the things the company does sell able to reach a wider audience (for example, Flash Player is free because Flash Creator is not and if everyone can read flash, content creators are willing to buy it in order to reach their audience), some are programmed just because some weirdos enjoy the challenge, among myriad other reasons. This should not be expected to be the case, but it's worth a look and it often enough is the case. You have no ethical obligation to pay for software that is offered to you free by people with the right to do so.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 11:02:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 8:39:57 PM, sadolite wrote:
As a matter of fact I do. I do all my shopping for hard goods on line almost exclusively.

That wasn't what I was saying. I was asking if you acknowledge and pay attention to all internet ads on Google, Yahoo, Bing, Youtube, Facebook, etc. Those are all online services offered to you free for the most part paid for by the companies to set up those ads. If you don't pay attention to the advertisement about "How to lose 10lbs of belly fat in 3 days", you have no moral character.

All programs are offered for "free" with the expectation of purchase of a full version.

No.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 11:18:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 8:39:57 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 8/20/2011 4:50:50 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 8/20/2011 2:55:11 PM, sadolite wrote:

None of the items you listed are "free" Advertisers "pay" for google in the hopes that you will buy a product or service.

The same will probably go for a writing program offered for free

I seriously doubt that he would acknowledge or pay a royalty to someone who provided him with what he wanted should he become a successful writer.

Oh and you acknowledge internet ads when you use Google and Yahoo?

The fact of the matter is that private entities offer various products and services for free to consumers, whether or not they even buy a product. The same goes for whatever free writing program FREEDO happens to find.

Nothing is "free" except to thieves until they get caught. Someone paid for what you "think" you got free. In most cases you did but were to naive to know. Such as luggage tags and lollipops.

I didn't say they were free, I said they were offered for free.

As a matter of fact I do. I do all my shopping for hard goods on line almost exclusively.

All programs are offered for "free" with the expectation of purchase of a full version.

They don't "expect" you to... they hope some people will want to buy the Fuller version given the taste of the service they provided for free.

If he uses the trail version to help him and writes a successful book and doesn't acknowledge or pay a royalty he has no character or morals. It is precisely the attitude that makes intellectual property and the work people put into it worthless. Why does anyone think they should get anything for free? The entitlement culture showing it's true colors.

umm.. why would you pay for something which you can get for free?

Really can't wrap my head around that one :/
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 1:53:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why would you need a special program? Just get word or openoffice or any text generator. Heck, use googledocs, free and in a cloud.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 6:09:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 4:07:34 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm looking for a good free program to use to start my book with. Much appreciated.

I've used OpenOffice for years.

Works great, and gives you a little more control over your document than word does.
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:36:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 11:18:50 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/20/2011 8:39:57 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 8/20/2011 4:50:50 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 8/20/2011 2:55:11 PM, sadolite wrote:

None of the items you listed are "free" Advertisers "pay" for google in the hopes that you will buy a product or service.

The same will probably go for a writing program offered for free

I seriously doubt that he would acknowledge or pay a royalty to someone who provided him with what he wanted should he become a successful writer.

Oh and you acknowledge internet ads when you use Google and Yahoo?

The fact of the matter is that private entities offer various products and services for free to consumers, whether or not they even buy a product. The same goes for whatever free writing program FREEDO happens to find.

Nothing is "free" except to thieves until they get caught. Someone paid for what you "think" you got free. In most cases you did but were to naive to know. Such as luggage tags and lollipops.

I didn't say they were free, I said they were offered for free.

As a matter of fact I do. I do all my shopping for hard goods on line almost exclusively.

All programs are offered for "free" with the expectation of purchase of a full version.

They don't "expect" you to... they hope some people will want to buy the Fuller version given the taste of the service they provided for free.

If he uses the trail version to help him and writes a successful book and doesn't acknowledge or pay a royalty he has no character or morals. It is precisely the attitude that makes intellectual property and the work people put into it worthless. Why does anyone think they should get anything for free? The entitlement culture showing it's true colors.

umm.. why would you pay for something which you can get for free?

Really can't wrap my head around that one :/

Probably for the same reason someone would accept free cell phone minutes from the govt or collect 6 different types of welfare. You were raised to believe that taking stuff for free and doing nothing to earn it is normal. If you are going to use something to make money you should pay for it. That's what is called "old school common sense". I wouldn't expect you to understand that.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:41:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/23/2011 2:36:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 8/20/2011 11:18:50 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/20/2011 8:39:57 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 8/20/2011 4:50:50 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 8/20/2011 2:55:11 PM, sadolite wrote:

None of the items you listed are "free" Advertisers "pay" for google in the hopes that you will buy a product or service.

The same will probably go for a writing program offered for free

I seriously doubt that he would acknowledge or pay a royalty to someone who provided him with what he wanted should he become a successful writer.

Oh and you acknowledge internet ads when you use Google and Yahoo?

The fact of the matter is that private entities offer various products and services for free to consumers, whether or not they even buy a product. The same goes for whatever free writing program FREEDO happens to find.

Nothing is "free" except to thieves until they get caught. Someone paid for what you "think" you got free. In most cases you did but were to naive to know. Such as luggage tags and lollipops.

I didn't say they were free, I said they were offered for free.

As a matter of fact I do. I do all my shopping for hard goods on line almost exclusively.

All programs are offered for "free" with the expectation of purchase of a full version.

They don't "expect" you to... they hope some people will want to buy the Fuller version given the taste of the service they provided for free.

If he uses the trail version to help him and writes a successful book and doesn't acknowledge or pay a royalty he has no character or morals. It is precisely the attitude that makes intellectual property and the work people put into it worthless. Why does anyone think they should get anything for free? The entitlement culture showing it's true colors.

umm.. why would you pay for something which you can get for free?

Really can't wrap my head around that one :/

Probably for the same reason someone would accept free cell phone minutes from the govt or collect 6 different types of welfare. You were raised to believe that taking stuff for free and doing nothing to earn it is normal. If you are going to use something to make money you should pay for it. That's what is called "old school common sense". I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Okay, so someone offers a product to me for free online. What do I do? hack into their computer, locate their bank info and force some money into their account?

If the agreed price is to the customer is "free" then why worry about anything more?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:21:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This may not be your style but I would investigate an XML language like DocBooks. It's similar to writting in HTML but DocBooks has tags that are specific for authoring a book. My understanding is that once you have it in the DocBooks format you can export it to many other formats like HTML, PDF, text, etc...

There may be a program made for editing DocBooks documents but I would just use a good text editor capable of syntax highlighting. I recommend gvim (in easy mode) or just vim if you are up for a challange.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it