Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Learning Java

seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 8:09:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have always wanted to learn basic Java. I have fooled around with things like Scratch, but they are too simple and limited. Could anyone just point me in the direction they would suggest?
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 3:13:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/27/2011 8:09:47 PM, seraine wrote:
I have always wanted to learn basic Java. I have fooled around with things like Scratch, but they are too simple and limited. Could anyone just point me in the direction they would suggest?

After about a year of trying to teach myself Java I gave up in disgust. I've taught myself C/C++, PHP, Python, Perl, Bash, Visual Basic (Classic and .Net), C#, TSQL, awk, Javascript and a bunch of other stuff - I love it all - but I detest Java. Actually, it's not the language itself; that's the nice part. It's all the auxiliary technologies that go with it like Spring, Eclipes, EJB, Tomcat, etc... They take up so much time that it is difficult to get actual programming done. The reason I finally gave up on Java was when I learned that a lot of people spend $60 on something called MyEclipes because configuring Eclipes to work with a standared Java set up (JSP, Hibernate, Tomcat) was too hard. That's when I knew Java was beyond hope. I don't understand why people still use it; but they do. I'm obviously missing something.

I googled Scratch but couldn't figure out what it was. If you want to just do some programming I can't recommend a better language than Python. It's free and easy. If you want to make a career out of programing, go with C# and ASP.net and just hold your nose when MS takes its BMs. If you REALLY want to be a career Java programmer, I would take classes. That way, when you have a problem with one of the myriad Java technologies, someone can help. That was probably my problem - I just read books on Java technologies. If you want to be a Java hobbiest, just get a book on Java and learn how to use its compiler. Like I said, the language itself isn't so bad.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 5:23:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I took AP computer science is high school and it helped a lot in collage. The only way to learn Java is by doing it, if you take it in school you just learn basic and obvious information. I remember when I took it in high school, I almost failed the first semester because I didn't catch the concept of only having one main method in the class file (Looking back on it I feel really stupid). Its a langue, so you can learn from other people, but there are millions of different ways to say the same thing and get the same results.
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 8:18:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/29/2011 3:13:10 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 9/27/2011 8:09:47 PM, seraine wrote:
I have always wanted to learn basic Java. I have fooled around with things like Scratch, but they are too simple and limited. Could anyone just point me in the direction they would suggest?

After about a year of trying to teach myself Java I gave up in disgust. I've taught myself C/C++, PHP, Python, Perl, Bash, Visual Basic (Classic and .Net), C#, TSQL, awk, Javascript and a bunch of other stuff - I love it all - but I detest Java. Actually, it's not the language itself; that's the nice part. It's all the auxiliary technologies that go with it like Spring, Eclipes, EJB, Tomcat, etc... They take up so much time that it is difficult to get actual programming done. The reason I finally gave up on Java was when I learned that a lot of people spend $60 on something called MyEclipes because configuring Eclipes to work with a standared Java set up (JSP, Hibernate, Tomcat) was too hard. That's when I knew Java was beyond hope. I don't understand why people still use it; but they do. I'm obviously missing something.

I googled Scratch but couldn't figure out what it was. If you want to just do some programming I can't recommend a better language than Python. It's free and easy. If you want to make a career out of programing, go with C# and ASP.net and just hold your nose when MS takes its BMs. If you REALLY want to be a career Java programmer, I would take classes. That way, when you have a problem with one of the myriad Java technologies, someone can help. That was probably my problem - I just read books on Java technologies. If you want to be a Java hobbiest, just get a book on Java and learn how to use its compiler. Like I said, the language itself isn't so bad.

scratch: http://scratch.mit.edu...
logan2
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 1:21:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Java Tutorial or Core [URL=http://www.javatpoint.com...]java tutorial[/URL]
or Java Programming Tutorial is a widely used robust technology. Java is a programming language and a platform.
Java is a high level, robust, secured and object-oriented programming language.
Platform: Any hardware or software environment in which a program runs, is known as a platform. Since Java has its own runtime environment (JRE) and API, it is called platform.
3 billion devices run java. There are many devices where java is currently used. Some of them are as follows:
1.Desktop Applications such as acrobat reader, media player, antivirus etc.
2.Web Applications such as irctc.co.in, javatpoint.com etc.
3.Enterprise Applications such as banking applications.
4.Mobile
5.Embedded System
6.Smart Card
7.Robotics
8.Games etc.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 5:29:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/27/2011 8:09:47 PM, seraine wrote:
I have always wanted to learn basic Java. I have fooled around with things like Scratch, but they are too simple and limited. Could anyone just point me in the direction they would suggest?

Spend the time on ja<x>vascript and Node.js
Dirty.Harry
Posts: 1,571
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 9:00:15 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 9/27/2011 8:09:47 PM, seraine wrote:
I have always wanted to learn basic Java. I have fooled around with things like Scratch, but they are too simple and limited. Could anyone just point me in the direction they would suggest?

Don't waste time on Java!!!!

It's a feeble, verbose, weak language, stuck in the past, rarely if ever advancing or innovating, I liken it to a modern COBOL.

C# is a far superior OO language so if you're going to invest time you'll get more benefit from it than Java.

If you run Windows then this a breeze, just download the free Visual Studio 2015 Community edition and start learning!

You'll also be able to target iOS and Android devices too:

https://msdn.microsoft.com...

Java is horrible (I'm a professional developer and used Java for a year with Eclipse, it was incredibly frustrating in so many respects), it's a legacy language and useful only because there's a need to maintain legacy code.

Harry.