Jump to topic:

Why build cars when you can print them?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 11:14:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I tried looking in the article for what you meant by "print". I still didn't get it. What do you mean by "print"?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 11:15:00 AM
The question I am most fascinated with, which is well beyond the scope of this article, is whether a printer can print itself. Self-replication is a philisophical enigma; if something can self-replicate, then it gains one of the main characteristics of life. Think about the possibilities; we could send a self-replicating spaceship into the cosmos, and everytime it lands, it self-replicates using the materials there and re-launches its copies. this process would be exponential, and would essentially allow us to colonize the entire galaxy in a relatively short period of time.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 11:15:23 AM
At 9/30/2011 11:14:16 AM, 000ike wrote:
I tried looking in the article for what you meant by "print". I still didn't get it. What do you mean by "print"?

Like your computer printer.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 11:16:12 AM
Your computer printer only prints one thin layer. This printer would print thousands of layers which would probably be a bit thicker and would add up to a 3 dimensional object.
Rob
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 11:16:42 AM
At 9/30/2011 11:15:23 AM, Lasagna wrote:
At 9/30/2011 11:14:16 AM, 000ike wrote:

Like your computer printer.

This may sound stupid, but I'm very confused at this concept. So the car is made out of paper?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 6:05:52 PM
They are trying to apply similar principals to plane and house construction.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 6:11:17 PM
At 9/30/2011 11:15:00 AM, Lasagna wrote:
The question I am most fascinated with, which is well beyond the scope of this article, is whether a printer can print itself. Self-replication is a philisophical enigma; if something can self-replicate, then it gains one of the main characteristics of life. Think about the possibilities; we could send a self-replicating spaceship into the cosmos, and everytime it lands, it self-replicates using the materials there and re-launches its copies. this process would be exponential, and would essentially allow us to colonize the entire galaxy in a relatively short period of time.

cells already are self-replicating. Or do you mean mankind creating something that is self replicating? First, we need to make things that are self repairing. When they are damaged, they recognize the damage, how to repair and engage in the repair.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 6:27:25 PM
At 9/30/2011 6:11:17 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/30/2011 11:15:00 AM, Lasagna wrote:

cells already are self-replicating. Or do you mean mankind creating something that is self replicating? First, we need to make things that are self repairing. When they are damaged, they recognize the damage, how to repair and engage in the repair.

A good point. That is a big step in-between. I'm just fascinated with the concept of artificial self-replication. If machines could be made to self-replicate, the possibilities are endless.
Rob
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 12:04:36 AM
Printing a car is too complicated. Cars are too intricate to be made from a single material being sprayed in patterns. Maybe printing car parts, but thats different.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 10:19:28 AM
At 10/1/2011 12:04:36 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
Printing a car is too complicated. Cars are too intricate to be made from a single material being sprayed in patterns. Maybe printing car parts, but thats different.

WHERE'S THE PROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:03:59 PM

It's already being done. So, obviously it's not too complicated.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:26:42 PM
At 10/4/2011 10:19:28 AM, Lasagna wrote:

WHERE'S THE PROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current 3D printers work mainly by polymerizing liquid plastic with a laser or by similarly sintering metal powder. There are a few other specialized processes that do something like squirting glue. The precision available is maybe 10 mils. None of the processes use diverse materials, so making a rubber-covered copper wire is impossible. A sintered engine block would not be strong enough nor precise enough. Cars have sensors and integrated circuits that cannot be made by printing.

Current technology is nowhere near close to being able to print a car. That's very far in the future.

Building a robot that could build similar robots is probably theoretically feasible, though not practical.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:19:06 AM
Well, given my knowledge of the technology, people aren't printing cars yet.

Like Roy says, the machines don't use diverse materials yet, and the technology is still developing, although I think in 5 to 10 years it might be interesting to see how well it's developing.

On a bragging point, our school's IST teacher actually allowed the students to create one of these machines (from a really complex assembly) . Interesting.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it