Jump to topic:

? nac

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 5:31:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does anyone know how to disable a key's function? My personal laptop has a delete key in a very stupid and inconvenient spot; right next to the return key that my little finger sometimes hits by accident, and I've lost entire paragraphs. There are two such keys on the keyboard, the other delete key isn't in the right place either, but it's better than this other one. So I'd like to just disable it, but not tear the key off the laptop.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 8:56:49 AM
As the system in booting hit F2 to go to Setup. From there click 'System Configuration' then 'Function Key Behavior'.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 1:49:55 PM
At 10/9/2011 8:56:49 AM, DanT wrote:
As the system is booting hit F2 to go to Setup. From there click 'System Configuration' then 'Function Key Behavior'.

That assumes he has the same computer (that's to say, the same BIOS) as you do.

First, find out how to get into your BIOS. Maybe that's hitting <F2>, <ESC>, <DEL> or something else. Then look around and see if your BIOS supports disabling keys. Hopefully DanT's instructions work for you, though. You may consider pulling the <DEL> key out. LOL (unless you need it to get into you BIOS of course).
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2011 3:42:38 AM
At 10/9/2011 5:31:30 AM, innomen wrote:
So I'd like to just disable it, but not tear the key off the laptop.

My friend actually took off all the keys on his Department issued laptop as it meant he could remove the frame and lighten his school load. The keys are all fully operational, so tearing it off is obviously not the solution.

I don't know how to fix your problem though.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2011 9:23:01 PM
Does anyone know how to disable a key's function? My personal laptop has a delete key in a very stupid and inconvenient spot; right next to the return key that my little finger sometimes hits by accident, and I've lost entire paragraphs. There are two such keys on the keyboard, the other delete key isn't in the right place either, but it's better than this other one. So I'd like to just disable it, but not tear the key off the laptop.

Try sticking something underneath the key like press stick. That should work.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 12:44:50 PM

You could conceivably try alt-z to recover your missing paragraphs. Other than that, I think this (http://www.autohotkey.com...) program will let you remap it.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 1:01:18 PM
At 10/11/2011 12:44:50 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:

You could conceivably try alt-z to recover your missing paragraphs. Other than that, I think this (http://www.autohotkey.com...) program will let you remap it.

Don't you mean ctrl-z?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)