Jump to topic:

Smart Phones

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 7:49:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, I have for the past 18 months been rocking a very low-tech phone.
A pink Nokia 6120c. I also have a workphone, which is even LOWER tech, a nokia 1110i.

Anyway, I have considered buying a smart phone for sometime. I was EXTREMELY reluctant to buy an iPhone simply because I'm not a huge fan of apple products. If the opportunity had come along to get a good deal on one, I wouldn't have passed it up, but no such deal eventuated.

Today, I decided which phone I'm going to get. I was told about a drop test involving the iPhone 4s and the Samsung Galaxy SII, where the Galaxy survived a shoulder height drop onto concrete without the screen breaking (it was damaged though) while the iPhone screen smashed into a million pieces.

In true internet warrior form, I googled up a bunch of reviews and found, with surprising consistency that the Galaxy SII scored extremely high. It is powered by a duel-core processor, runs Android software and looks sexy as fvck, so... I'm going to get one.

So, I ask:
What smart phones do DDO users have?
What made you choose that phone?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 7:56:28 PM
At 10/20/2011 7:49:48 PM, tvellalott wrote:
A pink Nokia 6120c. I also have a workphone, which is even LOWER tech, a nokia 1110i.

Anyway, I have considered buying a smart phone for sometime. I was EXTREMELY reluctant to buy an iPhone simply because I'm not a huge fan of apple products. If the opportunity had come along to get a good deal on one, I wouldn't have passed it up, but no such deal eventuated.

Today, I decided which phone I'm going to get. I was told about a drop test involving the iPhone 4s and the Samsung Galaxy SII, where the Galaxy survived a shoulder height drop onto concrete without the screen breaking (it was damaged though) while the iPhone screen smashed into a million pieces.

In true internet warrior form, I googled up a bunch of reviews and found, with surprising consistency that the Galaxy SII scored extremely high. It is powered by a duel-core processor, runs Android software and looks sexy as fvck, so... I'm going to get one.

So, I ask:

Don't forget that nearly all smart phones require you to get a data package (can run around $30 a month, pending the carrier).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 7:59:23 PM
At 10/20/2011 7:56:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Don't forget that nearly all smart phones require you to get a data package (can run around $30 a month, pending the carrier).

Way ahead of you.
The plan I applied for (which I should hopefully get... they practically throw plans at people now days...) is 50 bucks a month, unlimited calls, texts and facebook and 500mb of data.
If I hook the phone up to the wifi at my work and house, then that data should be heaps because it would only be when I'm out and about. :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 8:35:38 PM
At 10/20/2011 7:59:23 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/20/2011 7:56:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Way ahead of you.
The plan I applied for (which I should hopefully get... they practically throw plans at people now days...) is 50 bucks a month, unlimited calls, texts and facebook and 500mb of data.
If I hook the phone up to the wifi at my work and house, then that data should be heaps because it would only be when I'm out and about. :P

I get my messages via telegram still. Why buy a phone when you can use a messenger bird? Unless you are some super important business person who needs it for work (I assume your getting it for personal use), even having internet connectivity on a phone is a bit of overkill.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 9:07:23 PM

So, I ask:

I have had an iphone 3gs and now have a Samsung Droid. I prefer the iphone. I don't like apple stuff either but so far I've been let down by my current phone.

I travel a lot and having the internet in my pocket has been very helpful. I can find anything I need. Hotels. Rental cars. Check airplane schedules. Also my kids and wife have taken over the computers at home so rely on my phone.

So far the iphone wins for me. The droid freezes up a lot and is slow. Also relying here is a pain. For some reason when I click on a quote to reply it won't let me scroll all the way down to the bottom without press the "enter" key several times and then "backspace" until the text at the bottom starts to come up. And then if I hit the screen any where it does it all over again, I have to do the "enter" "backspace" thing to get back to what I wrote. A real pain in the butt.

But this could be my phone, it's the only Droid I've had. I also swapped to Verizon and the internet has been sketchy. I can have data in one place and then out of the blue I will have no network. If I back out of what was doing and turn off the network and then turn it back on it will start working again. But then again I have no idea how it will be down under.

I'm not real tech smart so the iphone will be my next phone.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 5:24:36 PM
I originally got a Droid, mainly because it was cheaper than an iphone and I could get it with Verizon. The Droid had a keyboard and lacked wi-fi hub capability (to feed a laptop), so I eventually upgraded to a Droid X. The Droid X works great. It's Droid X2 now. I tried to help a friend solve some iphone problems and didn't much care for it, although the problem could be just my lack of familiarity. Apple products tend to be hard to learn but easy to use. I've had good experience with Samsung products, so I'd be willing to go with one of their phones.

Rubber "cases" for smartphones are popular, and I think they would help a lot if the phone were dropped. I have one, but find that it increases the friction of of putting it in a shirt pocket, and it also increases the bulk of the phone.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 5:45:15 PM

So, I ask:

I have an HTC Inspire 4g. Chose it because it had better specs than most of the other available phones at the time, and was on sale for $50 at Radio Shack.