Total Posts:56|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The New Age Of Television ?

inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 9:07:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
After going on a television hiatus for about 4 months, I would have to say that television has made a comeback. Have you seen any of these new shows that came out now since the Fall began. I think we are seeing a much edgier, darker, sinister tone to television. Violence is back up and so is the profanity. But other than these subliminal elements, the acting is good again. You have more movie stars ending up on prominent roles on prime time. You have the media sensationalism on cable news as well as the local news. This is not the one that your grandpa use to watch. It is nothing but tabloid like these days.
Hi Definition has really allowed us to engage inside the screen like never before and it is quite inclusive indeed. These visuals are anything less than cinematic, especially when you are watching sports such as football. Satellite and cable are big now. And it seems like there are more networks than ever to choose from.
The variety is unlike anything that I have seen in the past decade alone. So to me, television is still very interesting nowadays. And it seems that because of the creative and artistic value and content that has been pn air as of lately is what has made television fun again. Do you agree ?
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 2:30:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/10/2011 9:33:35 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/9/2011 7:42:00 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
The walking dead ftw!!!!!!1!!!!!11!!

The Walking Dead is an incredible show.

The office!
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2011 11:02:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't watch enough TV to have a valid opinion, but I certainly don't like what I see. I especially hate sitcoms and reality shows. Sitcoms portray a fake American life where one walks around aimlessly all day with no real worries other than some (usually silly) social-life plot theme which doesn't accurately portray what the average American goes through on a daily basis. These characters often aren't portrayed with jobs, and if they are, there is never any real work done. Even shows centered around the jobplace, like the Office, portray workers simply walking around making stupid jokes all day long. In real life, you are stuck handling your responsibilities for most of the time and don't have time for this nonsense. The fact that we can turn on the tube and escape to this make-believe land, where all us Americans are actually happy and not stuck in miserable jobs that take up all our time, is frankly sickening to me and distracts from the mood. I work 30 hours a week, go to graduate school, take care of my daughter every day, have all sorts of housework to do, and various errands like shopping. In sitcom world, none of these things exist. The fridge and house are always full of items, money is no object (unless it is specifically part of the plot, in which case they have unlimited time and resources to try and raise it), the house is clean and maintained, the bills are paid, and everyone is taken care of with no worries. Everybody has unlimited free time to undertake grand adventures of any sort. Why do we fool ourselves into thinking we are this free? Is this part of the reason we fail to liberate ourselves? Because we fool ourselves into thinking we are living inside a sitcom every night? If corporations truly have a choke-hold on us and our freedom, then this is certainly their main weapon.

Also, the characters on the sitcom are meant to replace normal social interaction. We feel like we know these people, even though if they saw you on the street they would spray you with mace if you tried getting near them because you are a lowly commoner to them and they are essentially royalty. It's rather pathetic once you really start thinking about it, and when I hear people fancifully describing their favorite characters on sitcoms I really pity them!

Reality shows are for absolute f*cking idiots. If you think for one second that "reality" means completely unscripted, then you are as stupid as the TV-watching demographic indicates. Reality shows are simply given the feel of reality, and may include a little extra creative freedom for the actors, but it is a completely controlled atmosphere.

And let's face it - there aren't many dynamic, successful, or talented people that spend much time watching these shows. If you are wasting your time on this, you can pretty much cross yourself off the list of people who are inherently valuable in this country.
Rob
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 11:43:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/18/2011 11:02:20 AM, Lasagna wrote:
I don't watch enough TV to have a valid opinion, but I certainly don't like what I see. I especially hate sitcoms and reality shows. Sitcoms portray a fake American life where one walks around aimlessly all day with no real worries other than some (usually silly) social-life plot theme which doesn't accurately portray what the average American goes through on a daily basis. These characters often aren't portrayed with jobs, and if they are, there is never any real work done. Even shows centered around the jobplace, like the Office, portray workers simply walking around making stupid jokes all day long. In real life, you are stuck handling your responsibilities for most of the time and don't have time for this nonsense. The fact that we can turn on the tube and escape to this make-believe land, where all us Americans are actually happy and not stuck in miserable jobs that take up all our time, is frankly sickening to me and distracts from the mood. I work 30 hours a week, go to graduate school, take care of my daughter every day, have all sorts of housework to do, and various errands like shopping. In sitcom world, none of these things exist. The fridge and house are always full of items, money is no object (unless it is specifically part of the plot, in which case they have unlimited time and resources to try and raise it), the house is clean and maintained, the bills are paid, and everyone is taken care of with no worries. Everybody has unlimited free time to undertake grand adventures of any sort. Why do we fool ourselves into thinking we are this free? Is this part of the reason we fail to liberate ourselves? Because we fool ourselves into thinking we are living inside a sitcom every night? If corporations truly have a choke-hold on us and our freedom, then this is certainly their main weapon.

Also, the characters on the sitcom are meant to replace normal social interaction. We feel like we know these people, even though if they saw you on the street they would spray you with mace if you tried getting near them because you are a lowly commoner to them and they are essentially royalty. It's rather pathetic once you really start thinking about it, and when I hear people fancifully describing their favorite characters on sitcoms I really pity them!

Reality shows are for absolute f*cking idiots. If you think for one second that "reality" means completely unscripted, then you are as stupid as the TV-watching demographic indicates. Reality shows are simply given the feel of reality, and may include a little extra creative freedom for the actors, but it is a completely controlled atmosphere.

And let's face it - there aren't many dynamic, successful, or talented people that spend much time watching these shows. If you are wasting your time on this, you can pretty much cross yourself off the list of people who are inherently valuable in this country.

But you gotta admit. Football looks beter on HDTV. Now you get what Im saying.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 9:12:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I wouldn't know - I still use a tube TV. I can't quite see the sweat glistening on Aaron Rodgers' forehead but I get by...
Rob
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 10:31:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 9:12:32 AM, Lasagna wrote:
I wouldn't know - I still use a tube TV. I can't quite see the sweat glistening on Aaron Rodgers' forehead but I get by...

You dont know what you are missing my friend. Watching football on a 50 inch screen is incredible and then some.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 6:53:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
damn, lasagna. That is some scathing criticism.

KUDOS.

For the most part, I hate the sh!t out of t.v. There are only a few shows that I keep up with which, for the most part, I like because they are not like other shows. I certainly don't pay for cable t.v. Everything I watch is on the internet. I hate commercials and I hate paying to watch them even more than I hate the stupid television shows they sponsor in the first place.

If reality t.v. were a person, I would shoot it point blank in the face for being the scourge of media. I really just can't wait until television dies out altogether.

Most movies are a pile of crap too. Man, on another thread someone put White Chicks as one of their top 10 favorite movies of all time. I wanted to cry.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 8:01:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2011 6:53:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
damn, lasagna. That is some scathing criticism.

KUDOS.

For the most part, I hate the sh!t out of t.v. There are only a few shows that I keep up with which, for the most part, I like because they are not like other shows. I certainly don't pay for cable t.v. Everything I watch is on the internet. I hate commercials and I hate paying to watch them even more than I hate the stupid television shows they sponsor in the first place.

If reality t.v. were a person, I would shoot it point blank in the face for being the scourge of media. I really just can't wait until television dies out altogether.

Most movies are a pile of crap too. Man, on another thread someone put White Chicks as one of their top 10 favorite movies of all time. I wanted to cry.

Are you aware of the primetime shows that are on the air at the present time.
Probably not.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 9:31:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 8:01:42 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/5/2011 6:53:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
damn, lasagna. That is some scathing criticism.

KUDOS.

For the most part, I hate the sh!t out of t.v. There are only a few shows that I keep up with which, for the most part, I like because they are not like other shows. I certainly don't pay for cable t.v. Everything I watch is on the internet. I hate commercials and I hate paying to watch them even more than I hate the stupid television shows they sponsor in the first place.

If reality t.v. were a person, I would shoot it point blank in the face for being the scourge of media. I really just can't wait until television dies out altogether.

Most movies are a pile of crap too. Man, on another thread someone put White Chicks as one of their top 10 favorite movies of all time. I wanted to cry.

Are you aware of the primetime shows that are on the air at the present time.
Probably not.

Yes. It's called "the internet." As you can see, I have it.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 9:40:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 9:31:36 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/6/2011 8:01:42 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/5/2011 6:53:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
damn, lasagna. That is some scathing criticism.

KUDOS.

For the most part, I hate the sh!t out of t.v. There are only a few shows that I keep up with which, for the most part, I like because they are not like other shows. I certainly don't pay for cable t.v. Everything I watch is on the internet. I hate commercials and I hate paying to watch them even more than I hate the stupid television shows they sponsor in the first place.

If reality t.v. were a person, I would shoot it point blank in the face for being the scourge of media. I really just can't wait until television dies out altogether.

Most movies are a pile of crap too. Man, on another thread someone put White Chicks as one of their top 10 favorite movies of all time. I wanted to cry.

Are you aware of the primetime shows that are on the air at the present time.
Probably not.

Yes. It's called "the internet." As you can see, I have it.

The internet is every bit as interesting as television. It gives you access to so many things and people on a daily basis. But television evokes emotion. It is transcending because as long as it has been in existence, it affects our society in the most peculiar ways. I think it has improved since the 1990's in terms of the dynamics of it all. We are in the age of spiritualism and knowledge. I find that it can still be a very underrated and underappreciated learning experience.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 11:40:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 9:40:48 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/6/2011 9:31:36 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/6/2011 8:01:42 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/5/2011 6:53:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
damn, lasagna. That is some scathing criticism.

KUDOS.

For the most part, I hate the sh!t out of t.v. There are only a few shows that I keep up with which, for the most part, I like because they are not like other shows. I certainly don't pay for cable t.v. Everything I watch is on the internet. I hate commercials and I hate paying to watch them even more than I hate the stupid television shows they sponsor in the first place.

If reality t.v. were a person, I would shoot it point blank in the face for being the scourge of media. I really just can't wait until television dies out altogether.

Most movies are a pile of crap too. Man, on another thread someone put White Chicks as one of their top 10 favorite movies of all time. I wanted to cry.

Are you aware of the primetime shows that are on the air at the present time.
Probably not.

Yes. It's called "the internet." As you can see, I have it.

The internet is every bit as interesting as television. It gives you access to so many things and people on a daily basis. But television evokes emotion. It is transcending because as long as it has been in existence, it affects our society in the most peculiar ways. I think it has improved since the 1990's in terms of the dynamics of it all. We are in the age of spiritualism and knowledge. I find that it can still be a very underrated and underappreciated learning experience.

That is a very romantic view of television. Though I haven't seen any evidence that t.v. is generally underrated. It probably has improved since the 1990's. And it does affect our society in peculiar ways. But the amount of and type of learning that can be done is prescribed by someone else and given to you at the time they wish to give it to you. The internet is not so and has affected society in peculiar ways as well-more good than bad in my opinion. If you believe knowledge is power, I'd assume you agree.

On the internet, you can seek out the information you want to know. You can often easily find the sources for that information. And if you can't find the sources for a certain site, you can go to an almost infinite amount of other places to find the information you want (in the u.s. anyway). Also, if you are knowledgeable (or not), you can add to the information. You can find out how to do or be or know anything/anyone you want. With a television, you must take what you are given and, for the vast majority of people, you can't contribute at all.

So, you may have been able to put t.v. in a romantic light, but I think the internet is still giving people exponentially more chocolates, roses, and teddy bears than television and it's potential for affecting society is much, much greater. The revolution will not be televised. It sure as hell will be on the internet.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 11:53:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 11:40:25 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/6/2011 9:40:48 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/6/2011 9:31:36 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/6/2011 8:01:42 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/5/2011 6:53:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
damn, lasagna. That is some scathing criticism.

KUDOS.

For the most part, I hate the sh!t out of t.v. There are only a few shows that I keep up with which, for the most part, I like because they are not like other shows. I certainly don't pay for cable t.v. Everything I watch is on the internet. I hate commercials and I hate paying to watch them even more than I hate the stupid television shows they sponsor in the first place.

If reality t.v. were a person, I would shoot it point blank in the face for being the scourge of media. I really just can't wait until television dies out altogether.

Most movies are a pile of crap too. Man, on another thread someone put White Chicks as one of their top 10 favorite movies of all time. I wanted to cry.

Are you aware of the primetime shows that are on the air at the present time.
Probably not.

Yes. It's called "the internet." As you can see, I have it.

The internet is every bit as interesting as television. It gives you access to so many things and people on a daily basis. But television evokes emotion. It is transcending because as long as it has been in existence, it affects our society in the most peculiar ways. I think it has improved since the 1990's in terms of the dynamics of it all. We are in the age of spiritualism and knowledge. I find that it can still be a very underrated and underappreciated learning experience.

That is a very romantic view of television. Though I haven't seen any evidence that t.v. is generally underrated. It probably has improved since the 1990's. And it does affect our society in peculiar ways. But the amount of and type of learning that can be done is prescribed by someone else and given to you at the time they wish to give it to you. The internet is not so and has affected society in peculiar ways as well-more good than bad in my opinion. If you believe knowledge is power, I'd assume you agree.

On the internet, you can seek out the information you want to know. You can often easily find the sources for that information. And if you can't find the sources for a certain site, you can go to an almost infinite amount of other places to find the information you want (in the u.s. anyway). Also, if you are knowledgeable (or not), you can add to the information. You can find out how to do or be or know anything/anyone you want. With a television, you must take what you are given and, for the vast majority of people, you can't contribute at all.

So, you may have been able to put t.v. in a romantic light, but I think the internet is still giving people exponentially more chocolates, roses, and teddy bears than television and it's potential for affecting society is much, much greater. The revolution will not be televised. It sure as hell will be on the internet.

It is about the interaction. I agree, that the internet is better. But after not watching television for almost 4 months, I realized something. Holy cow, this thing is much greater than I thought. I watch shows like Ancient Aliens, The Supernatural, and other old school black and white classic from days gone.
Right now I am watching The Rifleman starring Chuck Connors, and also The original series known as The Twilight Zone. It truly does make more sense nowdays given the current political culture that you see today.
Is there a parody going on ? You bet there is, and there is a secret message being spoken daily that you must decode. That is the power of television my friend.
It has a language that is a mystery unknown to many.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 12:40:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 11:53:59 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/6/2011 11:40:25 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/6/2011 9:40:48 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/6/2011 9:31:36 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/6/2011 8:01:42 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/5/2011 6:53:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
damn, lasagna. That is some scathing criticism.

KUDOS.

For the most part, I hate the sh!t out of t.v. There are only a few shows that I keep up with which, for the most part, I like because they are not like other shows. I certainly don't pay for cable t.v. Everything I watch is on the internet. I hate commercials and I hate paying to watch them even more than I hate the stupid television shows they sponsor in the first place.

If reality t.v. were a person, I would shoot it point blank in the face for being the scourge of media. I really just can't wait until television dies out altogether.

Most movies are a pile of crap too. Man, on another thread someone put White Chicks as one of their top 10 favorite movies of all time. I wanted to cry.

Are you aware of the primetime shows that are on the air at the present time.
Probably not.

Yes. It's called "the internet." As you can see, I have it.

The internet is every bit as interesting as television. It gives you access to so many things and people on a daily basis. But television evokes emotion. It is transcending because as long as it has been in existence, it affects our society in the most peculiar ways. I think it has improved since the 1990's in terms of the dynamics of it all. We are in the age of spiritualism and knowledge. I find that it can still be a very underrated and underappreciated learning experience.

That is a very romantic view of television. Though I haven't seen any evidence that t.v. is generally underrated. It probably has improved since the 1990's. And it does affect our society in peculiar ways. But the amount of and type of learning that can be done is prescribed by someone else and given to you at the time they wish to give it to you. The internet is not so and has affected society in peculiar ways as well-more good than bad in my opinion. If you believe knowledge is power, I'd assume you agree.

On the internet, you can seek out the information you want to know. You can often easily find the sources for that information. And if you can't find the sources for a certain site, you can go to an almost infinite amount of other places to find the information you want (in the u.s. anyway). Also, if you are knowledgeable (or not), you can add to the information. You can find out how to do or be or know anything/anyone you want. With a television, you must take what you are given and, for the vast majority of people, you can't contribute at all.

So, you may have been able to put t.v. in a romantic light, but I think the internet is still giving people exponentially more chocolates, roses, and teddy bears than television and it's potential for affecting society is much, much greater. The revolution will not be televised. It sure as hell will be on the internet.

It is about the interaction. I agree, that the internet is better. But after not watching television for almost 4 months, I realized something. Holy cow, this thing is much greater than I thought. I watch shows like Ancient Aliens, The Supernatural, and other old school black and white classic from days gone.
Right now I am watching The Rifleman starring Chuck Connors, and also The original series known as The Twilight Zone. It truly does make more sense nowdays given the current political culture that you see today.
Is there a parody going on ? You bet there is, and there is a secret message being spoken daily that you must decode. That is the power of television my friend.
It has a language that is a mystery unknown to many.

Romantic, romantic. That's all well and good. I can dig it.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 12:57:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 12:40:30 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/6/2011 11:53:59 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/6/2011 11:40:25 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/6/2011 9:40:48 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/6/2011 9:31:36 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/6/2011 8:01:42 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/5/2011 6:53:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
damn, lasagna. That is some scathing criticism.

KUDOS.

For the most part, I hate the sh!t out of t.v. There are only a few shows that I keep up with which, for the most part, I like because they are not like other shows. I certainly don't pay for cable t.v. Everything I watch is on the internet. I hate commercials and I hate paying to watch them even more than I hate the stupid television shows they sponsor in the first place.

If reality t.v. were a person, I would shoot it point blank in the face for being the scourge of media. I really just can't wait until television dies out altogether.

Most movies are a pile of crap too. Man, on another thread someone put White Chicks as one of their top 10 favorite movies of all time. I wanted to cry.

Are you aware of the primetime shows that are on the air at the present time.
Probably not.

Yes. It's called "the internet." As you can see, I have it.

The internet is every bit as interesting as television. It gives you access to so many things and people on a daily basis. But television evokes emotion. It is transcending because as long as it has been in existence, it affects our society in the most peculiar ways. I think it has improved since the 1990's in terms of the dynamics of it all. We are in the age of spiritualism and knowledge. I find that it can still be a very underrated and underappreciated learning experience.

That is a very romantic view of television. Though I haven't seen any evidence that t.v. is generally underrated. It probably has improved since the 1990's. And it does affect our society in peculiar ways. But the amount of and type of learning that can be done is prescribed by someone else and given to you at the time they wish to give it to you. The internet is not so and has affected society in peculiar ways as well-more good than bad in my opinion. If you believe knowledge is power, I'd assume you agree.

On the internet, you can seek out the information you want to know. You can often easily find the sources for that information. And if you can't find the sources for a certain site, you can go to an almost infinite amount of other places to find the information you want (in the u.s. anyway). Also, if you are knowledgeable (or not), you can add to the information. You can find out how to do or be or know anything/anyone you want. With a television, you must take what you are given and, for the vast majority of people, you can't contribute at all.

So, you may have been able to put t.v. in a romantic light, but I think the internet is still giving people exponentially more chocolates, roses, and teddy bears than television and it's potential for affecting society is much, much greater. The revolution will not be televised. It sure as hell will be on the internet.

It is about the interaction. I agree, that the internet is better. But after not watching television for almost 4 months, I realized something. Holy cow, this thing is much greater than I thought. I watch shows like Ancient Aliens, The Supernatural, and other old school black and white classic from days gone.
Right now I am watching The Rifleman starring Chuck Connors, and also The original series known as The Twilight Zone. It truly does make more sense nowdays given the current political culture that you see today.
Is there a parody going on ? You bet there is, and there is a secret message being spoken daily that you must decode. That is the power of television my friend.
It has a language that is a mystery unknown to many.

Romantic, romantic. That's all well and good. I can dig it.

Romantic, yes it is. Dont forget about the stereo sound and the Hi-Definition screen.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 10:28:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2011 6:53:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
damn, lasagna. That is some scathing criticism.

Haha, that's exactly what I thought...

So yeah, TV rots your brain. However I don't think it's fair to criticize sitcoms (even though I hate most, but The Big Bang Theory is sometimes funny :P) for not being realistic enough. Since when is the purpose of entertainment to mimic real life? Isn't distracting us from the crap of life the whole point? Granted, some people think TV is simply a frivolous waste of time regardless of the quality of the show, and that's their prerogative. For the most part they are right.

However if you go that far, then I can just as easily say it's a huge waste of time to watch grown 250 lb men repeatedly throw a ball and tackle each other in tights (Lasagna's a big football fan). That is not exactly a productive use of your time, now is it? And these people get paid a ton of money to basically play a meaningless game, while people all over the world suffer... yada yada yada.

The point is that people find all sorts of things entertaining. I find some reality TV to be hilarious or distracting (it might accidentally catch/keep my attention - whoops) even though I'm not naive enough to think it's really based on "reality." These days I don't watch anything religiously, but I have a few favorite shows. They're mostly on cable and I tend to watch them by the season rather than on a weekly basis.

Also, TV can actually serve a purpose. Consider a show like Glee. I personally don't watch it, but it's been getting a lot of media attention specifically for highlighting gay issues, and portraying gay teens and whatnot in a realistic way during prime time. My 14 y/o sister watches that show, and I'm personally glad she's being exposed to that kind of tolerance.

Another thing - comedy and satire are very useful in society. Mocking aspects of our culture tends to make us look at things in a different way. Comedians specifically draw from real life strife for humor. In this way it's sort of an art that reflects the times. Granted I'm usually high while I watch it, but I personally think Family Guy is absolutely hilarious. I also think The Colbert Report and Daily Show are funny while keeping people up to date with current events and highlighting some political issues and whatnot with a humorous delivery that keeps people interested.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 10:29:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 9:31:36 AM, Oryus wrote:
Yes. It's called "the internet." As you can see, I have it.

Lol, I like this one.
President of DDO
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 1:45:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 10:28:57 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 12/5/2011 6:53:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
damn, lasagna. That is some scathing criticism.

Haha, that's exactly what I thought...

So yeah, TV rots your brain. However I don't think it's fair to criticize sitcoms (even though I hate most, but The Big Bang Theory is sometimes funny :P) for not being realistic enough. Since when is the purpose of entertainment to mimic real life? Isn't distracting us from the crap of life the whole point? Granted, some people think TV is simply a frivolous waste of time regardless of the quality of the show, and that's their prerogative. For the most part they are right.

However if you go that far, then I can just as easily say it's a huge waste of time to watch grown 250 lb men repeatedly throw a ball and tackle each other in tights (Lasagna's a big football fan). That is not exactly a productive use of your time, now is it? And these people get paid a ton of money to basically play a meaningless game, while people all over the world suffer... yada yada yada.

The point is that people find all sorts of things entertaining. I find some reality TV to be hilarious or distracting (it might accidentally catch/keep my attention - whoops) even though I'm not naive enough to think it's really based on "reality." These days I don't watch anything religiously, but I have a few favorite shows. They're mostly on cable and I tend to watch them by the season rather than on a weekly basis.

Also, TV can actually serve a purpose. Consider a show like Glee. I personally don't watch it, but it's been getting a lot of media attention specifically for highlighting gay issues, and portraying gay teens and whatnot in a realistic way during prime time. My 14 y/o sister watches that show, and I'm personally glad she's being exposed to that kind of tolerance.

Another thing - comedy and satire are very useful in society. Mocking aspects of our culture tends to make us look at things in a different way. Comedians specifically draw from real life strife for humor. In this way it's sort of an art that reflects the times. Granted I'm usually high while I watch it, but I personally think Family Guy is absolutely hilarious. I also think The Colbert Report and Daily Show are funny while keeping people up to date with current events and highlighting some political issues and whatnot with a humorous delivery that keeps people interested.

Satire is one of my all-time favorite things for a television show to be. Probably my absolute favorite, really. I agree on your point about entertainment not necessarily needing to mimic real life. I definitely agree that t.v. can potentially be a motivating force for social change/a humble hint at tolerance or some otherwise virtuous thing.
They do get it right sometimes, and I can do a little fist pump over it, but I really dislike the fact that the messages you receive through television are largely given at the whim of other people. It's like a creepy "If you build it, they will come..." scenario. There is this wealth of information and knowledge in the world and yet people still often turn to television: the view of humanity's knowledge through a paper towel roll tube. And as my boyfriend likes to say, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while."

T.V. seems like it has always been really big about social norms. Generally, if a marginalized portion of the population is normalized on t.v., things are probably also looking up for them in society. Causation? Coincidence? Is there even a correlation? Or am I imagining that? It seems to explain why Glee being so successful would be considered a win. Nothing better could happen to gay people (or any other people for that matter) on t.v. than to be humanized and normalized. Though, I haven't given this topic too much thought. I haven't found many people patient enough irl to even talk about t.v. and it's effects on society, brah.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 9:18:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/7/2011 1:45:56 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/6/2011 10:28:57 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 12/5/2011 6:53:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
damn, lasagna. That is some scathing criticism.

Haha, that's exactly what I thought...

So yeah, TV rots your brain. However I don't think it's fair to criticize sitcoms (even though I hate most, but The Big Bang Theory is sometimes funny :P) for not being realistic enough. Since when is the purpose of entertainment to mimic real life? Isn't distracting us from the crap of life the whole point? Granted, some people think TV is simply a frivolous waste of time regardless of the quality of the show, and that's their prerogative. For the most part they are right.

However if you go that far, then I can just as easily say it's a huge waste of time to watch grown 250 lb men repeatedly throw a ball and tackle each other in tights (Lasagna's a big football fan). That is not exactly a productive use of your time, now is it? And these people get paid a ton of money to basically play a meaningless game, while people all over the world suffer... yada yada yada.

The point is that people find all sorts of things entertaining. I find some reality TV to be hilarious or distracting (it might accidentally catch/keep my attention - whoops) even though I'm not naive enough to think it's really based on "reality." These days I don't watch anything religiously, but I have a few favorite shows. They're mostly on cable and I tend to watch them by the season rather than on a weekly basis.

Also, TV can actually serve a purpose. Consider a show like Glee. I personally don't watch it, but it's been getting a lot of media attention specifically for highlighting gay issues, and portraying gay teens and whatnot in a realistic way during prime time. My 14 y/o sister watches that show, and I'm personally glad she's being exposed to that kind of tolerance.

Another thing - comedy and satire are very useful in society. Mocking aspects of our culture tends to make us look at things in a different way. Comedians specifically draw from real life strife for humor. In this way it's sort of an art that reflects the times. Granted I'm usually high while I watch it, but I personally think Family Guy is absolutely hilarious. I also think The Colbert Report and Daily Show are funny while keeping people up to date with current events and highlighting some political issues and whatnot with a humorous delivery that keeps people interested.

Satire is one of my all-time favorite things for a television show to be. Probably my absolute favorite, really. I agree on your point about entertainment not necessarily needing to mimic real life. I definitely agree that t.v. can potentially be a motivating force for social change/a humble hint at tolerance or some otherwise virtuous thing.
They do get it right sometimes, and I can do a little fist pump over it, but I really dislike the fact that the messages you receive through television are largely given at the whim of other people. It's like a creepy "If you build it, they will come..." scenario. There is this wealth of information and knowledge in the world and yet people still often turn to television: the view of humanity's knowledge through a paper towel roll tube. And as my boyfriend likes to say, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while."

T.V. seems like it has always been really big about social norms. Generally, if a marginalized portion of the population is normalized on t.v., things are probably also looking up for them in society. Causation? Coincidence? Is there even a correlation? Or am I imagining that? It seems to explain why Glee being so successful would be considered a win. Nothing better could happen to gay people (or any other people for that matter) on t.v. than to be humanized and normalized. Though, I haven't given this topic too much thought. I haven't found many people patient enough irl to even talk about t.v. and it's effects on society, brah.

Interesting. But the parody is bigger than anything else going today.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 11:21:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 10:31:14 AM, inferno wrote:
WWE Network coming soon.

Hope that's not a defense of television.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 8:44:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 11:21:59 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/5/2012 10:31:14 AM, inferno wrote:
WWE Network coming soon.

Hope that's not a defense of television.

Actually it is. The WWE is the highest rated program on cable tv, and they average 10 million or more viewers per week every week. Now they are creating their new network which is to begin sometime this year. This is gonna be big !
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 5:24:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 8:44:08 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/6/2012 11:21:59 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/5/2012 10:31:14 AM, inferno wrote:
WWE Network coming soon.

Hope that's not a defense of television.

Actually it is. The WWE is the highest rated program on cable tv, and they average 10 million or more viewers per week every week. Now they are creating their new network which is to begin sometime this year. This is gonna be big !

whew. Inferno.. More people watching just makes it sadder- not better. ;)
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 5:41:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I never watch any TV shows.

Ever.

Especially not classic sci-fi dramas from th 60's and 70's.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 8:50:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 5:41:22 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
I never watch any TV shows.

Ever.

Especially not classic sci-fi dramas from th 60's and 70's.

Boring.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 11:38:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/10/2012 8:50:56 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/9/2012 5:41:22 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
I never watch any TV shows.

Ever.

Especially not classic sci-fi dramas from th 60's and 70's.

Boring.

Given your interest in the WWE, I can't say I take your taste in television very seriously. Can you blame me?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 11:51:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/10/2012 11:38:15 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/10/2012 8:50:56 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/9/2012 5:41:22 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
I never watch any TV shows.

Ever.

Especially not classic sci-fi dramas from th 60's and 70's.

Boring.


Given your interest in the WWE, I can't say I take your taste in television very seriously. Can you blame me?

Well if you would check out my latest profile, then you would know I have a much more complex list of shows you dont know a thing about. Why does this not surprise me.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 12:08:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/10/2012 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/10/2012 11:38:15 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/10/2012 8:50:56 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/9/2012 5:41:22 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
I never watch any TV shows.

Ever.

Especially not classic sci-fi dramas from th 60's and 70's.

Boring.


Given your interest in the WWE, I can't say I take your taste in television very seriously. Can you blame me?

Well if you would check out my latest profile, then you would know I have a much more complex list of shows you dont know a thing about. Why does this not surprise me.

Because you know damn well I don't give a crap about television?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.