Jump to topic:

Nintendo?

WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 7:16:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Nobody really talks about or likes Nintendo, and I'm thinking about whether or not I should spend my money on a 3DS.

Is it worth it?

Also, who reads GameInformer?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 5:39:29 PM
At 11/22/2011 7:16:05 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
Nobody really talks about or likes Nintendo, and I'm thinking about whether or not I should spend my money on a 3DS.

Is it worth it?

It all depends on your taste in games. I personally love the Zelda games and would almost buy a Wii just to play them. Nintendo has lots of good exclusive franchises and their systems do exactly what you would expect from them.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 10:52:36 PM
I love Nintendo but the 3DS is a waste. Nintendo looks at it as a write-off at this point and you shouldn't expect many (or any) worthwhile games coming to that platform in the future. I also think they are going in the wrong direction with the Wii U; it simply won't stand up to the Microsoft and Sony next gens coming out in the next few years. Diehards will stand by it, though, as always.

I subscribe to gameinformer. They did a pretty good Zelda retrospective recently to celebrate its 25 year history.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 11:11:48 PM
If you're dead set on getting a 3DS, wait for a newer version.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 9:02:20 AM
At 11/26/2011 10:52:36 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I love Nintendo but the 3DS is a waste. Nintendo looks at it as a write-off at this point and you shouldn't expect many (or any) worthwhile games coming to that platform in the future. I also think they are going in the wrong direction with the Wii U; it simply won't stand up to the Microsoft and Sony next gens coming out in the next few years. Diehards will stand by it, though, as always.

I subscribe to gameinformer. They did a pretty good Zelda retrospective recently to celebrate its 25 year history.

This is almost exactly what everyone said about the wii compared to sony and xbox and a year later wiis were selling out and xboxs were filling the shelves at gaming stores.
Rob
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 2:05:09 PM

Is it worth it?

Nintendo is the number one selling video game in the world.
It has Mario, and he can still sell a million units.
And you were saying.........
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 2:25:10 PM
At 11/28/2011 2:05:09 PM, inferno wrote:

Is it worth it?

Nintendo is the number one selling video game in the world.
It has Mario, and he can still sell a million units.
And you were saying.........

Nintendo indeed has the market cornered on family games. If you're not a "gamer," chances are Nintendo is going to be more appealing to you because of its wide appeal.
Rob
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 2:58:44 PM
At 11/28/2011 9:02:20 AM, Lasagna wrote:

This is almost exactly what everyone said about the wii compared to sony and xbox and a year later wiis were selling out and xboxs were filling the shelves at gaming stores.

Those predictions about the Wii were proven incorrect on the release date, when units sold at record speeds. It's been a few months since the 3DS released and not only were unit sales unimpressive, they've already slashed the price and began working on add-ons. That doesn't happen with successful platforms.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 5:36:49 PM

The Wii is gimmicky and cheap, and gimmicky and cheap appeals to the casual audience; but the casual audience is not what you want as your core demographic. Without appealing to the majority of hardcore gamers like the 360 and PS3 have, the next-gen Nintendo console will not, IMO, be as successful as Sony's or Microsoft's.

Why would anyone who owns a 360 or PS3 buy a console with hardware that may only minimally exceed their current consoles ability? The uncomfortable controller?
When Reach fell, I came.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 6:04:41 PM

Is it worth it?

I'm seriously tempted to grab one just so I can play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask whenever they release that. Like someone else said, I would recommend waiting for a new model personally. Go look at the first generation DS's compared to the rest, it's awful.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 6:18:57 PM

The Wii had a massive popularity surge when it first came out. Part of that was due to the innovative playing method (which has since been replicated and copied), and part of that was because it was about 1/3 the price. However, the honeymoon phase is over with the Wii. Oct 2008, Wii sold about 800,000 units (to 560,000 total of Xbox360 and PS3 combined). Oct 2009, Wii sold 500,000 (to 570,000 total Xbox260 and PS3 combined). Oct 2010 Wii sold 230,000 (to 575,000 total Xbox360 and PS3 combined).

And they are only getting worse. http://online.wsj.com...

Wii needs to get up and try some more innovation. The new Zelda game should be a major boost. It is really what everyone who got the wii back on day one wanted. A zelda game where you could actually slash your wii remote at the enemy (heck, it is what every 7 year hold wanted, back on the SNES when they'd jump their controller in the air when they pressed B to make Mario jump).

The wii bowling, and wii fit, and wii tenis, and wii music was fun and all, but they really need some thick juicy red meat to bring the Wii back.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2011 9:43:06 AM
Nintendo still has the best lineup of family games - by a long shot. Unless Sony or Microsoft can create a series to rival Mario and the crew, which I don't see happening soon, Nintendo will continue to be viable. Hardcore gamers aren't a large enough chunk of the market to matter. They are sort of like Ron Paul supporters; a few of them make a lot of noise online but they really don't matter.
Rob
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2011 9:56:50 AM
At 11/29/2011 9:43:06 AM, Lasagna wrote:
Nintendo still has the best lineup of family games - by a long shot. Unless Sony or Microsoft can create a series to rival Mario and the crew, which I don't see happening soon, Nintendo will continue to be viable. Hardcore gamers aren't a large enough chunk of the market to matter. They are sort of like Ron Paul supporters; a few of them make a lot of noise online but they really don't matter.

I agree. With the ressurgence of the Mario World empire, noone will even come close. They are visually stunning in graphical design, and they have the best gameplay of all video gaming systems. This Nintendo 3D is gonna knock the ball clean out of the park. Mark my words.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2011 10:03:15 AM

You do realize that Nintendo has been losing money like no tomorrow, right? Heck, they may be done and gone in the next 5 - 10 years if they don't make significant changes. Despite what hollywood has taught us, only sports games can make 10 copies of the exact same game and still sell them (*Cough* every madden football game *cough*).
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2011 10:08:02 AM
At 11/29/2011 10:03:15 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

You do realize that Nintendo has been losing money like no tomorrow, right? Heck, they may be done and gone in the next 5 - 10 years if they don't make significant changes. Despite what hollywood has taught us, only sports games can make 10 copies of the exact same game and still sell them (*Cough* every madden football game *cough*).

False. Theyhave enough money from their old systems and new alone to make more adjustments for the future. They are selling more games than X -BOX and Playstation 3. This company is not sponsored by any big name corporations like Sony and Microsoft. So they are in a class by themselves here and that is saying a whole lot.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2011 11:11:00 AM

They've lost over $600 million over the last 6 months, because they exchange all profits into yen, and the value of the yen has been falling.

Their sales have been increasing, especially with the impending holidays.

This explains the declining profits, but the increasing stock value.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2011 11:43:10 AM
At 11/29/2011 11:11:00 AM, Ren wrote:

They've lost over $600 million over the last 6 months, because they exchange all profits into yen, and the value of the yen has been falling.

Their sales have been increasing, especially with the impending holidays.

This explains the declining profits, but the increasing stock value.

Profits of the company is only one aspect of the value of stock. Also, it is because the Yen is increasing in value that skews the numbers (since 10,000 yen one year is 7,000 year another year, that can make it look like a 30% drop in sales, when the net value is actually stable). Looking at their finances, they are in major trouble. Net sales have been dropping. From 2009 to 2011, net sales have dropped 820 billion yen [1]. Even before foreign exchenge losses are counted, the operating incomes from 2010 to 2011 is down about 50% (largely because even though sales are down about 30%, the SGA expense was not lowered).

Another problem has been that last year they paid out more in dividends than they made in income. From 2010 to 2011, they cut dividends from 134 billion yen, to 102 billion yen, a 24% cut, but income (after exchange losses, which must be realized) fell from 228 billion yen to 77 billion yen, a 66% drop. Needless to say, if your income goes down a lot, and you only lower dividends a little and don't lower SGA at all, you're gonna face issues. This is partially why their net assets dropped 54 billion yen ($660 million), where as the year before, their net assests increased by 82 billion yen, despite 22% drop in sales.

[1] http://www.nintendo.co.jp...
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2011 10:43:48 PM
At 12/2/2011 12:14:57 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Who had better tunes that Mario?

The Legend of Zelda. I've got the 25th Anniversary CD, and the orchestrations are beautiful.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 12:00:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/10/2011 10:43:48 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 12/2/2011 12:14:57 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Who had better tunes that Mario?

The Legend of Zelda. I've got the 25th Anniversary CD, and the orchestrations are beautiful.

I meant Nintendo in general (see fourth video).

I liked the Smash Bros melee zelda theme, although the one they have for it on youtube doesn't seem to be the right one.
Rob