Jump to topic:

Global warming

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2009 6:49:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Personal anti-opinion -- This issue is not a debate about morality or politics but an issue over statistics and analysis. How interpreting statistics became politicized, I will never know. But this is what I do know: I am too dumb, too stupid, and way too ignorant to form a valid position on global warming. I listen to global warming debates, and I hear downright contradictory statistics! I am not a scientist, nor am I a mathematician. So I'm content with the fact that, at least for now, I have no opinion.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2009 11:27:23 AM
At 5/17/2009 6:49:57 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Personal anti-opinion -- This issue is not a debate about morality or politics but an issue over statistics and analysis. How interpreting statistics became politicized, I will never know. But this is what I do know: I am too dumb, too stupid, and way too ignorant to form a valid position on global warming. I listen to global warming debates, and I hear downright contradictory statistics! I am not a scientist, nor am I a mathematician. So I'm content with the fact that, at least for now, I have no opinion.

I second what PoeJoe said entirely. Well, maybe not the dumb and stupid part. But I do consider myself too ignorant to have a valid opinion, mainly due to the contradictory statistics. However, I consider myself Pro Global Warming (as in acknowledging it and supporting environmental policies to change it) mostly because of this quote:

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer and more livable. Don't let them get away with it!

– Chip Giller
President of DDO
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2009 11:43:24 AM
hmm... my opinion is that global warming is a hoax. i will admit that polution has its hand in the enviroment, but i dont think that the atmosphere will open and burn up because of it. If you had any idea how much money Al Gore got off this silly suspicion, you would want to choke up a myth to scare everyone into that way of thinking as well. yes there are statistics, but there are also statistics combatting this. this is somethings thats happened in the past with the melting of the polar ice caps, and will soon be reversed to normal in time.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2009 12:20:50 PM
I'll just quote my comment on the global warming debate:

"Global warming is both a reality and a lie. The Earth is increasingly getting hotter, but so is the rest of the solar system. This is what the global elites don't want you to know. Instead they are blaming the people so that they can impose their carbon tax and take more freedoms away with carbon footprint ratings and regulations."

Yes, we are contributing to global warming, but if anyone is to blame, it's the car and oil companies that refuse to sell alternative energy fueled cars. We buy what they provide and if they don't provide environment safe cars, that's on them. Don't punish us with this carbon footprint crap.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2009 1:24:47 PM
At 5/18/2009 11:27:23 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 5/17/2009 6:49:57 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

I second what PoeJoe said entirely. Well, maybe not the dumb and stupid part. But I do consider myself too ignorant to have a valid opinion, mainly due to the contradictory statistics. However, I consider myself Pro Global Warming (as in acknowledging it and supporting environmental policies to change it) mostly because of this quote:

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer and more livable. Don't let them get away with it!

– Chip Giller

So one idiot's quote has made your entire opinion on the matter?
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2009 1:34:50 PM
It doesn't take too much depth in statistics. Takes about one week in an introductory statistics course for them to get to "correlation =/= causation."

Exploit the earth or die, it's not a threat, it's a fact :).

And fuel efficiency, while good in many cases, is roughly inverse to vehicle safety (cities safer and more livable how?). Keep that in mind.

As for it "kick starting industries," that's just a perfect example of Bastiat's window.

"Energy independence" is code for ignoring the basic reason we engage in international trade in the first place, comparative advantage.

Neither air nor water are harmed by CO2.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2009 5:03:36 PM
Why is this under "Technology"?

Is it because of the use of statistics, the gathering of those statistics?

Either way, the discussion has not and was not intentioned to revolve around anything related to technology, so why?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2009 7:28:56 PM
Cause technology supposedly "causes" it, or that's the word coming from the wannabe Politburo anyway. :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.