Jump to topic:

I'd just like to interject.

s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2009 11:53:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 12:04:09 AM
At 5/23/2009 12:01:36 AM, beem0r wrote:
Posting in stale pasta thread

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as pasta, is in fact, Copypasta, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Copy plus Pasta.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 12:11:11 AM
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as an interjection is in fact an @$$ sandwich made of AIDS, or as I like to call it, an @$$ sandwich made of AIDS/fail.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 12:31:37 AM
Mac > Windows > Linux

I know, it's not what you want to hear. But Mac OS is stable, secure, and has tons of free, easy to use, and open sourced software. There's really no reason to use Windows or Linux, which aren't as easy to use.

Mac is more secure than Windows
Mac is easier to use than any build of Linux
Mac IS Unix
Mac has open source elements
Mac software is easier to use, better looking, and cheaper.
You can run any windows or linux program in Mac, through the use of Wine or Crossover, or, worse case scenario, virtualization.
There's more software for Windows than Mac, however, it's mostly crapware. Free software for Linux or Windows pales in comparison to Mac software

More game developers are producing for mac now too.

Macs, with their new use of the gpu as a general cpu (Snow Leopard), are faster

And, as for hardware:
Macs last longer than PC hardware
Macs have better components
Line up the features of a Mac to a PC, and the Mac is cheaper
Macs are thinner, lighter, and have longer battery life
Macs have better support, and MUCH better customer service

Business wise:
Mac market share is growing
The economy has hurt all the other manufacturers much more than Apple
40% of college students want an Apple branded computer, which is much higher than any other brand desired. (Up against HP, Dell, etc).

And if you don't like Mac, it's just because you're too afraid to switch.

There you go. Enjoy.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 5:20:55 AM
At 5/23/2009 12:31:37 AM, beem0r wrote:

There you go. Enjoy.

Mac users are gay. Nuff said.

People keep saying all of that stuff about Mac but to be honest, I've never had an issue with PCs, they're almost always been kind to me, unless I do something to make it angry. Plus, I've been using PC's and Windows and etc for almost all of my life and I'm just comfortable using it, as are most people. Mac may be better, but PCs are familiar and comfortable.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2009 2:48:28 PM
I'm an expert on these matters, so listen up and listen good - I'll try to keep this simple but it won't be easy, because I am an expert, as I mentioned previously.

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2009 5:20:30 PM
At 5/23/2009 5:20:55 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/23/2009 12:31:37 AM, beem0r wrote:

There you go. Enjoy.

Mac users are gay. Nuff said.

whats wrong with gay people? Are you a homophobe or something?
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2009 5:31:11 PM
At 5/25/2009 5:20:30 PM, Nik wrote:
whats wrong with gay people? Are you a homophobe or something?

Lol nah, I love gay people. It is just something I heard on the net.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2009 12:49:23 PM
So I was over at the salvation army looking for chicks (emo chicks f-ing LOVE salvation army), and I spot this Hippie/Geek across the room that is bent over some sort of bargain bin with t-shirts and stuff.
You know the type: Sandals, Star Trek t-shirt and not just a neckbeard but a beard that would shame Santa and traumatize small children.
Well I decide to see what kind of geek I'm dealing with here, "Shouldn't you be installing Gentoo Linux somewhere?", I shout across the room.
Now this usually results in a glare and mumbling about the GPL or BSD or whatever, but not this time, the fat mofo instantly freezes and then slowly straightens up and turns around.
I'm getting a bit nervous here, he's just standing there staring at me and for some reason the rest of the customers and staff have also stopped and are looking at us nervously.
Finally he starts walking towards me, the flopping of his sandals echoing through the room, I'm doing my best to stay calm.
He stands before me, the beard is f-ing terrifying up close, suddenly he speaks: "I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux..."
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2009 11:50:48 PM
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without Windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a Windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that Windows is more than just Office ? It's a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people don't realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

It's just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer from start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of Windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2009 9:30:02 AM
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Windows 7, is in fact, Windows Vista SP3, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Mojave Experiment 2.0. Windows 7 is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another marketing scheme by Microsoft to trick users into trying Vista, a full OS as defined by Microsoft.

Many computer users run a modified version of Vista every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Vista which is widely used is often called "Windows 7," and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Vista system, developed by Microsoft.

There really is a Windows 7, and these people are using it, but it is just part of the system they use. Windows 7 is the Graphical User Interface; the program in the system that lets idiots click on things and think they know how a computer works. The Graphical User Interface is an essential part of an operating system that was made for retards, but useless by itself; it can only appear to have a function in the context of the user not knowing how their OS works. The Windows 7 GUI is normally used in combination with the Vista operating system; the whole system is basically Windows Vista with shinier buttons added. All the so called "Windows 7" users are really users of Windows Vista SP3.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 8:36:17 AM
Anonymous wrote:
So last night I sent in an "email" to a live radio talk show about computers. It was their
monthly GNU/Linux show, but they just call it a Linux show. I sent in the Richard Stallman
"interject for a moment" thing and they actually read it on the air.

mp3 if anyone wants it (it's within the first five minutes or so)
http://archives.warpradio.com...

It's about 200 seconds in (3:20), after the retarded commercials.