Jump to topic:

The New 'Space Shuttle'

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2009 1:53:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
As we all know, the current incarnation of the space shuttle will be retired by 2010. Does anyone know of any new vehicle designs that will help replace the shuttle?

Here is some of the ones I've found:
http://www.popularmechanics.com...
http://www.usatoday.com...

The latter, which is reminiscent of the old Apollo spacecraft, seems to be the most probable design to go forward. Anyone else have any ideas?
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2009 7:58:50 PM
After the old moon lander design was retired I always had this image in my head that the next design would literally be a huge space cruise ship with thousands of scientists aboard ready to start populating the fresh barren plains of the moon. I should ahave guessed it would simply be a modern equivalent of the old one! how stupid am I!?
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2009 1:33:17 PM
At 6/1/2009 7:58:50 PM, Nik wrote:
After the old moon lander design was retired I always had this image in my head that the next design would literally be a huge space cruise ship with thousands of scientists aboard ready to start populating the fresh barren plains of the moon. I should ahave guessed it would simply be a modern equivalent of the old one! how stupid am I!?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

They'll probably work their way up to that eventually, but there isn't enough of a motivation right now. This is basically a design to get astronauts up to the ISS and back, not much else. They're probably designing other, larger vehicles for other purposes.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 1:39:20 AM
By the way things are predicted to go, by 2050 there could be a space hotel. The best thing? No one has sovereign claims to space, heretofore, no law!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 12:34:31 PM
At 6/3/2009 1:39:20 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
By the way things are predicted to go, by 2050 there could be a space hotel. The best thing? No one has sovereign claims to space, heretofore, no law!

They'll carve it up like they did Antarctica. Or else it will be run by NASA/ESA/Russia, like the ISS is.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 1:11:46 PM
At 6/3/2009 12:34:31 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/3/2009 1:39:20 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

They'll carve it up like they did Antarctica. Or else it will be run by NASA/ESA/Russia, like the ISS is.

Aww, darn it. I wanted to be the Red Baron of Supero-Spaco-Hotelo, carving up wrong doers with my Plasma Pistols. Now I'll have to mowe lawns.......
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 7:57:42 PM
Im thinking some feudal sh!t is gonna happen on the moon. And im gonna be the lord in the space manor! Raping and pillaging the neighbouring space capsules, all will be good in the mooncounty of Nikashire.
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 8:14:15 PM
toking up in antigravity would be AWESOME
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 5:00:55 AM
At 6/3/2009 7:57:42 PM, Nik wrote:
Im thinking some feudal sh!t is gonna happen on the moon. And im gonna be the lord in the space manor! Raping and pillaging the neighbouring space capsules, all will be good in the mooncounty of Nikashire.

The Blood Baron will stop you. And I will ascend from the rank of Baron to Duke for my great doings, and become Death Duke, controlling the Star Duchy of the moon.
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2009 8:14:54 PM
Nah ur Irish, us brits are always the ones raping and pillaging you!