Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Networking puzzle

jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 10:08:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've tried to get help on networking forums but I must be speaking Greek or something because they never understand what I want.

First thing. I have a modem and wireless router that work great. I don't have a problem to fix, I have a puzzle to solve (it's a puzzle to me any way).

I ran a wired connection (cat-5) from my router to another room for a device to use.

All my other devices are wireless. Smart phones and laptops. Anyway they all work fine right now.

What I want to do is port forward that device that is wired, but my router doesn't support a static IP and DHCP at the same time. It's one or the other.

This would be fine, I know how to give everything a static IP but I don't want to and I think that would mess the connection up for the devices when they try to get onto other networks.

No I could just go out and buy a router that supports both but I like a challenge and the wireless router I have works fine. I found a inexpensive wired router for less then twenty bucks and I was thinking I could use it somehow but the exact details get fuzzy. That is, if it is even possible at all.

If I can't figure it out I guess I can get the new router and maybe use the other wireless router to extend my range. but if I can do it for less then twenty bucks then........a penny saved is a penny earned in my book.

This is what I think I can do.

From the modem into the WAN port of the wired router. From the wired router I would connect the wired device in one LAN port and the wireless router in another LAN port.

I think I would need to set two static IPs in the wired, one for the wired device (something ending like 506) and one for the wireless router to connect to (something ending like 606).

I could then port forward 506, and I would be turning DHCP off in the wired router.

In the wireless router I would enable DHCP making sure to set the IP range under 506.

Is this possible?

How would I set the connection between the wired router and wireless? That is the part that I'm not sure about.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 2:56:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm fairly sure (don't quote me on this; networking was never my strong suit, but I'm learning a lot at work) that need a switch. You plug the modem, wireless router and wired router all into the switch. Then, you run the wired router with port forwarding and the wireless router as you have been...

But first things first; why do you think having static ips will stuff things up? Can I ask what this "wired device" is... The mysterious way you avoided saying intrigues me.

My boss will definitely know how to do it, though he'd probably just tell you to get the router that supports both. :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 12:47:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 2:56:38 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I'm fairly sure (don't quote me on this; networking was never my strong suit, but I'm learning a lot at work) that need a switch. You plug the modem, wireless router and wired router all into the switch. Then, you run the wired router with port forwarding and the wireless router as you have been...

That could work too. Since all devices are still behind routers there would still be NAT protection. Ill look into that. The only thing I don't like about that is maintaining one more piece of network hardware.

But first things first; why do you think having static ips will stuff things up? Can I ask what this "wired device" is... The mysterious way you avoided saying intrigues me.

My boys xbox, he likes playing Call Of Douchebags and has a hard time finding matches because of NAT settings. I don't want to put it in DMZ and as far as I know port forwarding is the only other way.

And your boss would be right, but I like to figure out stuff the hard way. I can't learn like that. I always have to DO to learn anything. If I just bought the easy router I wouldn't know how all that stuff can works.

My boss will definitely know how to do it, though he'd probably just tell you to get the router that supports both. :P
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 5:00:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 12:47:07 PM, jharry wrote:
At 1/31/2012 2:56:38 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I'm fairly sure (don't quote me on this; networking was never my strong suit, but I'm learning a lot at work) that need a switch. You plug the modem, wireless router and wired router all into the switch. Then, you run the wired router with port forwarding and the wireless router as you have been...

That could work too. Since all devices are still behind routers there would still be NAT protection. Ill look into that. The only thing I don't like about that is maintaining one more piece of network hardware.

Maintaining? o.O;
You mean dusting it? :P

But first things first; why do you think having static ips will stuff things up? Can I ask what this "wired device" is... The mysterious way you avoided saying intrigues me.

My boys xbox, he likes playing Call Of Douchebags and has a hard time finding matches because of NAT settings. I don't want to put it in DMZ and as far as I know port forwarding is the only other way.

Well that was anti-climatic. >_<
I was thinking you had an auto-dial system calling people and asking for a dollar, like Homer did in that one episode...

And your boss would be right, but I like to figure out stuff the hard way. I can't learn like that. I always have to DO to learn anything. If I just bought the easy router I wouldn't know how all that stuff can works.

Sounds reasonable to me. I'll ask him when he gets in.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 1:57:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 5:00:40 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 1/31/2012 12:47:07 PM, jharry wrote:
At 1/31/2012 2:56:38 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I'm fairly sure (don't quote me on this; networking was never my strong suit, but I'm learning a lot at work) that need a switch. You plug the modem, wireless router and wired router all into the switch. Then, you run the wired router with port forwarding and the wireless router as you have been...

That could work too. Since all devices are still behind routers there would still be NAT protection. Ill look into that. The only thing I don't like about that is maintaining one more piece of network hardware.

Maintaining? o.O;
You mean dusting it? :P

Stuff tears up. My workspace is limted too, I could buy a bigger desk I guess.

But first things first; why do you think having static ips will stuff things up? Can I ask what this "wired device" is... The mysterious way you avoided saying intrigues me.

My boys xbox, he likes playing Call Of Douchebags and has a hard time finding matches because of NAT settings. I don't want to put it in DMZ and as far as I know port forwarding is the only other way.

Well that was anti-climatic. >_<
I was thinking you had an auto-dial system calling people and asking for a dollar, like Homer did in that one episode...

I could make something up if you would like. Maybe I'm some super awesome hacker trying to...................

And your boss would be right, but I like to figure out stuff the hard way. I can't learn like that. I always have to DO to learn anything. If I just bought the easy router I wouldn't know how all that stuff can works.

Sounds reasonable to me. I'll ask him when he gets in.

Thanks, that would be great.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen