Jump to topic:

Wireless connection problems

Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 1:59:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
So my mother had purchased a new desktop computer. Problem is, it isn't close to the only Ethernet port in the house (where the other desktop computers are located). I got the idea to simply connect it wirelessly to the netgear router I had in the house. After all, it's what I do with my laptop and I never seem to have any problems. Anyway, upon trying to connect to the wireless netgear network, it acknowledges that such a network is present, but will always fail to successfully connect to it. I had the system diagnose the problem, but it couldn't find the problem at all. What do I do?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 2:05:08 PM
I had the same problem as well before, even if the signal is at full strength. Sometimes it is because of the wireless network itself, and it possibly can't handle connecting so many computers at once. I also have a small theory that some wireless receivers aren't compatible with certain routers, but I'm not very sure about it.

It also depends on the wireless adapter that is on the desktop - what make is it? Is it one that connects straight into a motherboard slot, or through a USB port?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 2:16:49 PM
At 6/12/2009 2:05:08 PM, Volkov wrote:
I had the same problem as well before, even if the signal is at full strength. Sometimes it is because of the wireless network itself, and it possibly can't handle connecting so many computers at once. I also have a small theory that some wireless receivers aren't compatible with certain routers, but I'm not very sure about it.

It also depends on the wireless adapter that is on the desktop - what make is it? Is it one that connects straight into a motherboard slot, or through a USB port?

I just checked the device manager and it's called Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN mini card and it is connected straight into the motherboard slot.

Anyways, I had tried disconnecting my laptop from the Internet and then using it (as I had the theory that so many computers cannot handle it at once), but it still didn't work. Not to mention that I can easily play on Xbox Live and use my laptop (both relying on wireless netgear) without any problems, so I'm thinking it's the new computer. If it isn't compatible, how do I make it compatible?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 2:32:40 PM
At 6/12/2009 2:27:34 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Are you using the Dell tools to try and connect or the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration?

If by Dell tools, you mean the image one of the icons on the bottom right side of the screen that looks like a computer with a red X over it while disconnected . . . then yes, I am using the Dell tools. Is this actually the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 2:32:58 PM
At 6/12/2009 2:16:49 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
I just checked the device manager and it's called Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN mini card and it is connected straight into the motherboard slot.

Anyways, I had tried disconnecting my laptop from the Internet and then using it (as I had the theory that so many computers cannot handle it at once), but it still didn't work. Not to mention that I can easily play on Xbox Live and use my laptop (both relying on wireless netgear) without any problems, so I'm thinking it's the new computer. If it isn't compatible, how do I make it compatible?

I've never liked the motherboard slot ones. I had one by D-Link and rarely worked. You could see all the available networks but it never decided to connect.

I had a laptop before that was a Dell and used the on-board wireless card, and as John said, you can use two different connectors. The Dell Wireless Config or the Windows Config. Make sure you're using one of the two, and I'd think the former would be the best.

If that fails, I would say forget about the Dell card, and buy a USB-attached wireless adapter. I've never had a problem with them, and it uses its own program.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 2:38:34 PM
Look in the start menu for something related to Dell and Wireless. You should be able use that to connect. I'm pretty sure when the Dell application is in use you can't use the Windows application to connect.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 2:39:00 PM
At 6/12/2009 2:35:38 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
lol. I'm pretty clueless in terms of the difference actually.

Are you using Vista?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 2:40:06 PM
At 6/12/2009 2:38:34 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Look in the start menu for something related to Dell and Wireless. You should be able use that to connect. I'm pretty sure when the Dell application is in use you can't use the Windows application to connect.

Correct. When Dell Config is being used, Windows Config will say 'you are using another wireless manager, etc etc'. If it doesn't do that, then Dell probably isn't being used.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 2:41:38 PM
At 6/12/2009 2:32:58 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/12/2009 2:16:49 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

I've never liked the motherboard slot ones. I had one by D-Link and rarely worked. You could see all the available networks but it never decided to connect.

I had a laptop before that was a Dell and used the on-board wireless card, and as John said, you can use two different connectors. The Dell Wireless Config or the Windows Config. Make sure you're using one of the two, and I'd think the former would be the best.

Well now that I've seen you both word these as such, I don't believe I know what I'm doing. What precisely are these "configs?" Or have I already been using one of them automatically?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 2:54:52 PM
Correct. When Dell Config is being used, Windows Config will say 'you are using :another wireless manager, etc etc'. If it doesn't do that, then Dell probably isn't being :used.

Okay, hold the phone. AT&T Communication Manager is the manager I've been using on my laptop. I wasn't aware of that until now. That explains plenty.

Now if I could just find Windows Config or this Dell program which you are referring to.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 2:55:59 PM
At 6/12/2009 2:51:17 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
http://img37.imageshack.us...

That would be Windows, but if you could bring up the window for that icon it would be great.

As well, I noticed that you have this icon on your bar (in the green):

http://i44.tinypic.com...

Bring up the window for that as well, because that is probably a different wireless manager.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 3:01:01 PM
At 6/12/2009 2:54:52 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
Correct. When Dell Config is being used, Windows Config will say 'you are using :another wireless manager, etc etc'. If it doesn't do that, then Dell probably isn't being :used.

Okay, hold the phone. AT&T Communication Manager is the manager I've been using on my laptop. I wasn't aware of that until now. That explains plenty.

Now if I could just find Windows Config or this Dell program which you are referring to.

Ha, I'm way too slow, sorry for the above post asking you for that icon.

Anyways, for Windows Config on Vista, here is a step-by-step to turn it on (just to make sure it is on): http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk...

For Dell, if the desktop has those four bars in the corner like your laptop does, click that. That would be the Dell Config, not Windows.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 3:11:16 PM
At 6/12/2009 3:02:17 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
http://img208.imageshack.us... - Image in Green

http://img208.imageshack.us... -Image I circled in red

You want to look for a symbol similar to the one in green on the desktop. That is the Dell Wireless, and if you can't find it, look through Programs, through Add/Remove hardware, etc. You should be able to find it, because I've never heard of a Dell card without a Dell wireless manager.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2009 7:57:29 AM
If it's the only desktop computer you have in the house, it would be simplest to just move the wireless router near it and use an ethernet cable, unless there's some other reason the router has to be so far away from it in the house.

For the wireless, it could be incompatibility between the router and the card. I had a similar problem a few years ago. Of course, I'd think by now such issues would no longer exist.

It could also be that the router is configured to only accept connections from specific MAC addresses, though you guys probably would have had to set that up yourself. You coud log in to the router from your laptop and check out what preferences you have set. You'd do that by entering the router's IP in your web browser address bar (it's probably 192.168.0.1, unless it's not using the default). If your router has a different IP, you can probably figure out what it is by typing "ipconfig" at a command prompt (which will tell you your IP on the local network, among other things - the router is probably either the same as your IP but with "1" as the fourth number or it might even be listed under default gateway for that connection).

Not sure what the default login and password are for your router, but you can probably find out from google if you know the specific name or probably even just the brand of your router.