Jump to topic:

Blocking Certain Web Ads

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 12:10:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I sometimes have issue with this certain Flash ad that appears on this website. It seems to overload my browser and freezes it up completely, unless I can get it off the screen.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to shut off or block those type of ads from my browser, just so I don't have to shut down my browser every time I decide to see debates in the challenge period.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 12:21:49 PM
You use Firefox I hope?

Install Adblock Plus:
https://addons.mozilla.org...

Restart Firefox. When it opens back up it will ask you if you want to subscribe to any filters, just click cancel.

Go to this website:
http://easylist.adblockplus.org...

Install the following filters:

EasyList
EasyPrivacy
Adult/Dating Blocking

Install them by clicking "Add to ABP" and then click 'Ok'

No more ads.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 6:31:06 AM
At 6/18/2009 12:39:06 AM, s0m31john wrote:
Be aware that there are some people *cough* PoeJoe *cough* that are opposed to ad blocking.

I understand in Volkov's case. But otherwise, why would you want to block the content that is keeping all the other content free? It doesn't make sense to me. If you support a website, you should at least consider the ads. Hell, if it weren't for a facebook ad that caught my attention one and a half years ago, I wouldn't have found DDO.

That said, it's not like I really care either way. It's like the "in God we trust" thing on American money. Do I wish it wasn't there? Yes. But there are much more important matters to debate. Similarly, I really couldn't care less if a few members want to be selfish.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 7:28:45 AM
Hey hey hey, Poejoe. Selfish person reporting in, too selfish to waste my time blocking ads I don't look at that don't do anything to me anyway, and enjoying the site too much to deny it revenue that doesn't come out of my pocket.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 10:20:50 PM
At 6/18/2009 7:28:45 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Hey hey hey, Poejoe. Selfish person reporting in

You hold a certain pride that I find amusing.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 9:08:03 AM
I deliberately make it amusing. If it's amusing it's less likely to become a liability in politics later on.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 9:21:08 AM
At 6/17/2009 12:45:05 PM, Volkov wrote:
Who doesn't use Firefox? If they don't, they're fools.

Thanks for your help John.

I don't use firefox. I don't see myself investing in it, either, and my mom isn't about to purchase something she doesn't see as necessary.

It doesn't make me a fool to not have firefox.

Anyways, I agree with Ragnar: This site needs revenue, and the least we can do is allow the ads to appear.

I don't mind them anyways.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 10:47:06 AM
At 6/27/2009 9:21:08 AM, wjmelements wrote:
At 6/17/2009 12:45:05 PM, Volkov wrote:
Who doesn't use Firefox? If they don't, they're fools.

Thanks for your help John.

I don't use firefox. I don't see myself investing in it, either, and my mom isn't about to purchase something she doesn't see as necessary.

It doesn't make me a fool to not have firefox.

Anyways, I agree with Ragnar: This site needs revenue, and the least we can do is allow the ads to appear.

I don't mind them anyways.

Firefox is free, so there is no purchase and no other investment except your time, which I will assume you have a lot of.

As well, I don't mind ads for the site. If they generate revenue, all the better, because the more revenue created the more attention can be paid to the site, and therefore more improvements to the site. But, I do mind ads that freeze my computer, which is why I want them blocked, so my enjoyment of the site isn't hampered.
iamadragon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 11:20:09 AM
At 6/27/2009 9:21:08 AM, wjmelements wrote:

LOL!!!!