Jump to topic:

Satellite TV vs Cable *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:54:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have been doing some major research on the advantages of having cable television vs satellite. Now I have some family members who brag about how vast satellite tv is. But the last time I checked, they did not have those local entertainment packages or information boards. And they did not have on demand, but I heard they made some changes in order to compete with cable.
I think the advantage lies in knowing that you do not have to worry about the signal going out in a blinding rain. And you do get better quality networks at a more reasonable price. You need certain packages on satellite and they keep going up almost every year. Cable's basic price has remained stable at best, even if they do require you to pay for those exclusive networks that are coming into operation this year. Oh well, you cant win em all. I am sticking with cable, digital, that is.
What do you think.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 12:58:07 AM
Satellite sucks because all the times you really want to (or need to) watch TV such as during a thunderstorm, snow storm or wind storm the satellite DOESN'T WORK! You get crappy signal and sometimes it quits all together. It only works perfectly on bright sunny days...
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 3:14:42 PM
If your in an urban area its probably best to stick with cable. If your in a rural area where cable lines do not run...then Satellite is your best option. If your in suburbs I would still suggest cable.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 4:18:03 PM
When it comes to Internet, cable pwns hands-down. Bidirectional satellite is the abslute worst -- in terms of actual speed, as in pingtime instead of bandwidth, dialup is faster than satellite due to how far the signal has to travel (your dish to the satellite in geosynchronous orbit, then back to a ground station and then through the web of networks to the actual website you are trying to access). Your minimum ping time anywhere on satellite is around 3 seconds, making it unsuitable for gaming. You could download a very large file faster on high-band bidirectional satellte faster than dialup, but webpages of text and byte-efficient graphics would load much faster on dialup.

Most satellite t.v./internet packages are thus with DSL instead of satellite Internet, which is better than dialup but with one rare exception I recently read about inferior to cable internet in both bandwidth and how much bandwidth you get per $ (at least compared with a large cable Internet service like Comcast; I know some rural cable Internet services are terrible).