Jump to topic:

Command Prompt

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 7:13:53 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Can anyone explain what exactly can be done on it?

I've tried
HELP
which gave me a list of other commands, but I couldn't figure out how to use them.

The problem may be that my background in code is TI-84 BASIC.
Anyways:
=How is it used?
=I've seen neat things on it done. So:
-How do you send alert messages to other community computers?
-How do you shut another computer down from the one you're on?
-How do you write a batch file?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 7:42:48 PM
I hacked my school network with a Command Prompt.

The tech people at my school blocked Command Prompt, so I had to make my own Command Prompt. This is how I did it:
1) Opened Notepad. If Notepad is also blocked, you can either 1) right click on the internet screen and click on "View Source" and delete all the text or 2) click on "Page">"View Source" and then delete all the text.
2) Type in Notepad "command.com" (without the quotes)
3) Click "File">"Save As"
4) There will be three drop-bars on the bottom of the next screen.
---Change "File Name:" from "(.txt)" to "termpaper.bat" (without the quotes). As long as the file name ends with .bat, the name can be anything, I just named it termpaper as to not arrise suspicion.
---Change "Save as type:" from "Text Documents (.txt)" to "All Files".
---Leave "Encoding:" alone.
5) Go in "My Documents" and find termpaper.bat

*The Command Prompt will pop up*
1) Type in "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotes)
2) Wallah! You can change your account to Administrator and do whatever the f*ck you want.

I never actually did anything, but if I ever wanted to, I could do some serious damage.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2009 10:37:08 AM
The command prompt does not have much functionality in itself - it is merely a shell to run other programs. To send messages to other computers with it, for example, you'd have to hve a program that could do that, and it would likely have to be running on both machines.

You could ping another computer, but that wouldn't actually be able to send a message unless you manually pinged them in morse code and they were paying attention to their network activity. You could probably write a very simple program to do that, if you so desired.

You can't shut down another computer remotely unless that other computer has a way to do that built in that can be accessed through the network. This could be a malicious program you yourself put onto the other computer, or in rare cases it could be a serious security flaw that has yet to be patched.

You can write a batch file in any text editor - just write it in batch code an run it from the command prompt after you save it. This looks like a good resource if you want to learn how to do that: http://www.allenware.com...
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2009 10:40:52 AM
Actually, you wouldn't even have to do morse code with ping, since you can specify the data to send in the ping packets (on the linux version of ping, at least - not sure about the one tha comes with windows). You'd still need something on the other computer that could recive the message, whether it be a program or a person manually looking at network packets they've received.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 4:04:32 PM
At 7/16/2009 7:42:48 PM, Nags wrote:

The tech people at my school blocked Command Prompt, so I had to make my own Command Prompt. This is how I did it:
1) Opened Notepad. If Notepad is also blocked, you can either 1) right click on the internet screen and click on "View Source" and delete all the text or 2) click on "Page">"View Source" and then delete all the text.
---Change "File Name:" from "(.txt)" to "termpaper.bat" (without the quotes). As long as the file name ends with .bat, the name can be anything, I just named it termpaper as to not arrise suspicion.

2) Wallah! You can change your account to Administrator and do whatever the f*ck you want.

I never actually did anything, but if I ever wanted to, I could do some serious damage.

This kid I know from German class does that kind of thing all of the time. He actually changed all of the teacher accounts into the same type as the students had and made all of the students admins.

A fun prank, and if there were no limitations on the computers, people probably wouldn't do such malicious things.

Besides, I am much frustrated by my limited abilities on the school computers. I can't even right-click, or even copy/paste.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 10:14:49 PM

I can't do that. My darn Mac is just too secure.

If anyone knows any Mac hacks, let me know. They are so hard to find.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 10:48:08 PM
At 7/29/2009 10:14:49 PM, MTGandP wrote:

I hate Macs.

Nothing else to say lol.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 11:33:20 PM
At 7/20/2009 4:04:32 PM, wjmelements wrote:

This kid I know from German class does that kind of thing all of the time. He actually changed all of the teacher accounts into the same type as the students had and made all of the students admins.

A fun prank, and if there were no limitations on the computers, people probably wouldn't do such malicious things.

Besides, I am much frustrated by my limited abilities on the school computers. I can't even right-click, or even copy/paste.

Right Clicking: The most powerful single action known to mankind.

Also, bump thread.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2009 10:30:12 AM
At 7/29/2009 10:14:49 PM, MTGandP wrote:

You wouldn't be able to do that on any windows machine that washalfway secure either.
Compmgmt.msc, or any scripts that could alter important information, would require administrator privileges to run. I sure hope Nags' experience was due to admins that set user rights wrong rather than a ridiculous default.

Further, you probably didn't even need a command prompt to run compmgmt.msc. You could have just run that instead of a command prompt. Command prompts are only shells. They don't actually add any innate power, except the ability to make the user feel like he's somehow superior because he's not using a GUI.

Schools should really just switch to Linux. It would give troublemaker students a much more meaningful challenge when they try to do something they don't have permissions to do, and it wouldn't create a generation of kids who are, due in prt to the state-run schools, dependent on a specific company's continued existence.
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2009 11:00:02 AM
At 7/30/2009 10:30:12 AM, beem0r wrote:
Schools should really just switch to Linux. It would give troublemaker students a much more meaningful challenge when they try to do something they don't have permissions to do, and it wouldn't create a generation of kids who are, due in prt to the state-run schools, dependent on a specific company's continued existence.

Wow! that is the best idea I have heard in a long time!
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2009 11:13:29 AM
At 7/30/2009 11:00:02 AM, heart_of_the_matter wrote:
Course, economically that's a bad idea for the government, since Microsoft is a monstrous company that provides the government with plenty of revenue. Consumers buting Windows gives some money to the government, while using Linux doesn't. In fact, because it's free, the free software market is seen as being zero productivity, since we use GDP as a measure of productivity. Sigh.

Course, by that logic, they should switch to Macs in school, that way more people will have to buy Apple's more expensive computers.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2009 7:08:38 PM
You wouldn't be able to do that on any windows machine that washalfway secure either.
Compmgmt.msc, or any scripts that could alter important information, would require administrator privileges to run. I sure hope Nags' experience was due to admins that set user rights wrong rather than a ridiculous default.
-They blocked Run, notepad, and command prompt, so they probably didn't think providng extra security against scripts were necesarry.
Further, you probably didn't even need a command prompt to run compmgmt.msc. You could have just run that instead of a command prompt. Command prompts are only shells. They don't actually add any innate power, except the ability to make the user feel like he's somehow superior because he's not using a GUI.
-Except "Run" is blocked... I'm pretty sure "Run" is blocked on every school network in the country haha.
-That would be fun, I guess. It won't happen though.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2009 7:24:04 PM
At 7/30/2009 7:08:38 PM, Nags wrote:
-They blocked Run, notepad, and command prompt, so they probably didn't think providng extra security against scripts were necesarry.
Such scripts should require admin privileges to begin with, if I'm not mistaken. I don't have a copy of windows right now to test it with, but it seems ridiculous that something that lets users would hve the right to change user rights. Maybe I'm wrong and Windows defaults to being retarded.

-Except "Run" is blocked... I'm pretty sure "Run" is blocked on every school network in the country haha.
Instead of running a command prompt with a .bat file, you could just run the script with the .bat. The command prompt is just a shell that you run things from, but you already found a workaround before that to let you run things, which is how you ran the command prompt in the first place. Running the command prompt was an unnecessary middle step.

Also, if schools had security settings that weren't retarded, there would be no security problem in allowing the 'run' dialog. Not that blocking the run dialog is ever effective at all - students could just write a very simple program that completely mimics the functionality of the run dialog.

-That would be fun, I guess. It won't happen though.
True, at least for the forseeable future.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2009 8:12:00 PM
At 7/30/2009 11:13:29 AM, beem0r wrote:
Course, economically that's a bad idea for the government, since Microsoft is a monstrous company that provides the government with plenty of revenue. Consumers buting Windows gives some money to the government, while using Linux doesn't. In fact, because it's free, the free software market is seen as being zero productivity, since we use GDP as a measure of productivity. Sigh.

Course, by that logic, they should switch to Macs in school, that way more people will have to buy Apple's more expensive computers.

Aaaaaaaaaaand all of the computers in the school (except for the main office and compsci class computers) are Macs. Your logic is correct and the government has already used it.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2009 8:33:30 PM
At 7/30/2009 8:12:00 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

Aaaaaaaaaaand all of the computers in the school (except for the main office and compsci class computers) are Macs. Your logic is correct and the government has already used it.
Hahahahah
With macs, they can't even use the excuse that it's what most people use in real life and it's just preparation for that. Unless your area is populated mostly by macfags, in which case I pity you.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2009 8:48:40 PM
At 7/30/2009 8:33:30 PM, beem0r wrote:
At 7/30/2009 8:12:00 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

Hahahahah
With macs, they can't even use the excuse that it's what most people use in real life and it's just preparation for that. Unless your area is populated mostly by macfags, in which case I pity you.

I asked a teacher once. That person said it's because the district gets macs for free.

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 1:11:34 PM
beem0r-

I think you misunderstood.

-I typed in notepad (regular notepad was blocked) "command.com" (without the quotes).

-I then saved as "termpaper.bat" (without the quotes).

-I then opened it and it was a command prompt.

-I then typed "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and I could do some cool stuff.