Jump to topic:

Russian Nuclear Space Engine

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:52:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Awesome, so while the United States is still stuck on the ground because some nimwits in DC decided to get rid of NASAs Manned Space Program, Russia's going ahead and building a nuclear space engine. This space engine is going to go with long range manned space craft which could be used for interplanetary travel.

Read all about it...:

http://en.rian.ru...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:53:28 PM
At 4/12/2012 9:52:07 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Awesome, so while the United States is still stuck on the ground because some nimwits in DC decided to get rid of NASAs Manned Space Program, Russia's going ahead and building a nuclear space engine. This space engine is going to go with long range manned space craft which could be used for interplanetary travel.

Read all about it...:

I hate Obama, soooooo much, for killing NASA......so much.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:56:47 PM
At 4/12/2012 9:53:28 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Read all about it...:

Agreed ^^^

It didn't even get that much money....
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:01:29 PM

Read all about it...:

I love it how conservatives are freakishly against government entities/programs...EXCEPT when it is involved in competing with the Russians.
turn down for h'what
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:02:16 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:01:29 PM, Aaronroy wrote:

Read all about it...:

I love it how conservatives are freakishly against government entities/programs...EXCEPT when it is involved in competing with the Russians.

Nothing to d with the Russians, everything to do with the history of it, and the potential discoveries, and the advancements.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:06:42 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:02:16 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Read all about it...:

Nothing to d with the Russians, everything to do with the history of it, and the potential discoveries, and the advancements.

NASA was formed directly due to the Race-for-Space against the Soviet Union. Historically, space exploration has always been about dominance.

Potential discoveries? It'll be hundreds if not thousands of years until we develop the technology to go beyond our own solar system. NASA was pretty stagnant in terms to progression, and private-sector organizations are looking pretty promising.

Come on, you're a conservative, who like, hates anything Federal. Obama ending NASA and leaving space exploration (you know, every 7-year old's dream) to the private-sector. Isn't something that you would support?
turn down for h'what
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:08:51 PM

Read all about it...:

NASA holds the most scientific patents in the United States and are responsible for hundreds of inventions you use everyday (microchip for example--NASA). The fact is, all those came from the Apollo missions and what was needed to construct the computers and the ship. Stop NASA == stopping all chance of scientific innovation. You basically want the world to get ahead of the United States when it comes to technology. Russia's pretty darn close right now.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:14:03 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:06:42 PM, Aaronroy wrote:

Read all about it...:

NASA was formed directly due to the Race-for-Space against the Soviet Union. Historically, space exploration has always been about dominance.

Potential discoveries? It'll be hundreds if not thousands of years until we develop the technology to go beyond our own solar system. NASA was pretty stagnant in terms to progression, and private-sector organizations are looking pretty promising.

Come on, you're a conservative, who like, hates anything Federal. Obama ending NASA and leaving space exploration (you know, every 7-year old's dream) to the private-sector. Isn't something that you would support?

It really does not matter if it's the Russians, the Chinese, or the Europeans.

What American doesn't want to see our flag as the first on Mars?
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:14:40 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:08:51 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Read all about it...:

NASA holds the most scientific patents in the United States and are responsible for hundreds of inventions you use everyday (microchip for example--NASA). The fact is, all those came from the Apollo missions and what was needed to construct the computers and the ship. Stop NASA == stopping all chance of scientific innovation. You basically want the world to get ahead of the United States when it comes to technology. Russia's pretty darn close right now.

That's not a good reason to keep it open when that contention could be turned around on itself. One could easily just say that the money allocated to NASA should be pulled from it and reallocated to a government agency that specializes in technological advancements and research.
turn down for h'what
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:17:19 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:14:03 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Read all about it...:

I'm fairly certain it matters to people who live under the delusion that the Red-Scare still exists.

How about a 'Human' flag to prevent all of the international-social stigma that comes from nationalism?
turn down for h'what
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:17:49 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:14:40 PM, Aaronroy wrote:

Read all about it...:

That's not a good reason to keep it open when that contention could be turned around on itself. One could easily just say that the money allocated to NASA should be pulled from it and reallocated to a government agency that specializes in technological advancements and research.

Err...NASA does specialize in technological advancements and research....
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:18:36 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:17:19 PM, Aaronroy wrote:

Read all about it...:

I'm fairly certain it matters to people who live under the delusion that the Red-Scare still exists.

How about a 'Human' flag to prevent all of the international-social stigma that comes from nationalism?

It's a good thing I'm not one of those people, huh?

And are you serious about the 'Human' flag thing or are you joking? It was pride for one's own country that brought us to the Moon, hell, to the Space Race in general...
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:27:24 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:17:49 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Read all about it...:

...for the purpose of space exploration and NOT for the sake of technology advances. It's pretty sensible to conclude that they'd be more progressive if they focused on technological advancements solely.
turn down for h'what
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:32:32 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:27:24 PM, Aaronroy wrote:
At 4/12/2012 10:17:49 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Read all about it...:

...for the purpose of space exploration and NOT for the sake of technology advances. It's pretty sensible to conclude that they'd be more progressive if they focused on technological advancements solely.

You do know they have entire divisions devoted solely to that purpose? :P And you do also know that hundreds of inventions you use everyday (microchip for example--NASA) all came from the Apollo missions and what was needed to construct the computers and the ship. Simply constructing something like this nuclear space engine would require huge technological advances. Applied sciences can yield better results then non-applied sciences.
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:38:11 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:18:36 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Read all about it...:

And are you serious about the 'Human' flag thing or are you joking? It was pride for one's own country that brought us to the Moon, hell, to the Space Race in general...

Ever heard of the phrase 'Swallow your pride'? It's foolish nationalism that leads to stigmatization between opposing world powers.

Notice how he was "mankind" and not "Americans". If we're going to continue space exploration, it should only be out of betterment of mankind and ultimately the conquest for knowledge, and not out of "national pride" (Hey, it's 'Nation's Pride' the name they gave the Nazi propaganda movie in Inglorious Basterds?) All I'm seeing is sheer "We must be the first to Mars!" contentions from people who are going Pro-NASA. I honestly don't care for Newt and his insipid Moon base delusions.

Even if we were to reinstate NASA, it'd be logical for them to allocate their resources to helping the Russians with their research; they seem to be on to something and are progressing at a rate which would be unrivaled with our support.
turn down for h'what
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:42:14 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:38:11 PM, Aaronroy wrote:

Read all about it...:

Ever heard of the phrase 'Swallow your pride'? It's foolish nationalism that leads to stigmatization between opposing world powers.

Notice how he was "mankind" and not "Americans". If we're going to continue space exploration, it should only be out of betterment of mankind and ultimately the conquest for knowledge, and not out of "national pride" (Hey, it's 'Nation's Pride' the name they gave the Nazi propaganda movie in Inglorious Basterds?) All I'm seeing is sheer "We must be the first to Mars!" contentions from people who are going Pro-NASA. I honestly don't care for Newt and his insipid Moon base delusions.

Even if we were to reinstate NASA, it'd be logical for them to allocate their resources to helping the Russians with their research; they seem to be on to something and are progressing at a rate which would be unrivaled with our support.

I actually agree here, part of it, reinstating NASA would be good. Technology, such as this, would be a good thing for the world. If you allow NASA and the Russian equivalent to "team up" the technological advances would be unrivaled against any point in history.

Also, a race to Mars is a good thing. If two countries race, they are going to progress faster then without a race. (You always want to beat your rival :P)
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:51:22 PM

Read all about it...:

Believe what you want about international cooperation, but I have a more pessimistic view of human motivation.

Wow, a reductio ad hitlerum this early... National pride is not a bad thing, you must draw a line between that and nationalism, which is the belief that ones nation is superior to others for various reasons. Competition, however, is a fantastic motivator for technological advancement, the Space Race is an optimal example of this. Actually, just about every advancement ever is guided by either competition or necessity, or a combination of both.

I'm not arguing international cooperation doesn't exist (the ISS) just that competition is a better motivator.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 3:54:41 PM
At 4/12/2012 10:51:22 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Read all about it...:

Believe what you want about international cooperation, but I have a more pessimistic view of human motivation.

Wow, a reductio ad hitlerum this early... National pride is not a bad thing, you must draw a line between that and nationalism, which is the belief that ones nation is superior to others for various reasons. Competition, however, is a fantastic motivator for technological advancement, the Space Race is an optimal example of this. Actually, just about every advancement ever is guided by either competition or necessity, or a combination of both.

I'm not arguing international cooperation doesn't exist (the ISS) just that competition is a better motivator.

It depends on what the competition is over. Technology == good competition. But, working together can still be fabulous :P
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 4:47:13 PM
At 4/13/2012 3:54:41 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 4/12/2012 10:51:22 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Read all about it...:

It depends on what the competition is over. Technology == good competition. But, working together can still be fabulous :P

I don't disagree... As I said, the ISS is a perfect example. But we went from an unmanned satellite to a manned lunar landing in a few decades directly because of competition
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 9:56:51 PM
I don't disagree... As I said, the ISS is a perfect example. But we went from an unmanned satellite to a manned lunar landing in a few decades directly because of competition

That is so very true.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:11:21 PM
I used to be big into NASA, but not so much anymore. If we gave up on our wellfare warfare state I could see throwing money towards building cool sh!t, but as of now I'd just assume let DARPA build cool sh!t.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:14:34 PM
At 4/13/2012 10:11:21 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I used to be big into NASA, but not so much anymore. If we gave up on our wellfare warfare state I could see throwing money towards building cool sh!t, but as of now I'd just assume let DARPA build cool sh!t.

There's a difference between building a space shuttle that can take us to mars and a hypersonic weapon (for example).
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:21:48 PM
At 4/13/2012 10:14:34 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

There's a difference between building a space shuttle that can take us to mars and a hypersonic weapon (for example).

Darpa does a lot of stuff that has practical applications.
Also going to mars is relatively easy, they've just decided scientific curiosity doesn't justify the cost.

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:27:58 PM
At 4/13/2012 10:21:48 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Also going to mars is relatively easy, they've just decided scientific curiosity doesn't justify the cost.

The engineering that goes into building a nuclear engine would repay itself. NASA always has.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:39:14 PM
At 4/13/2012 10:27:58 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 4/13/2012 10:21:48 PM, lewis20 wrote:

The engineering that goes into building a nuclear engine would repay itself. NASA always has.

I don't see how that is possible.
If you are talking about advancing nuclear technologies, that money would be much better spent on programs on the ground, researching cold fusion and the likes.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 4:10:41 PM
USA: http://en.wikipedia.org...(nuclear_propulsion) http://en.wikipedia.org... http://en.wikipedia.org...

Britian: http://en.wikipedia.org...

We have the technology, schematics, and resources. Our only problem is that we have Greenpeace, and too many other nations would consider a launch of a nuclear powered spacecraft as an act of war if done by the states.And also, NASA isn't dead, they have just been relegated to R&D due to budget cuts. What I really hope to see from NASA's temporary flight suspension is the production of better spacecraft by private enterprise. If [when] private enterprise builds decent orbital spacecraft [most currently are relegated to suborbital flight at the moment due to safety concerns] NASA would most likely begin the purchase/rental of these craft so as to make the heavier spacefaring research [permanent space colonies, interstellar space travel, orbital solar, terraforming, asteroid mining, figuring out methods to survive the heat death of the universe, destroying the Vulcan's before they can screw with our minds, making resistance un-futile, going where no man has gone before, etc . . .] more affordable and simpler. NASA's hard science innovations would then be used by the private space industry to further its capacity which in turn furthers NASA's scientific capacity.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com...
http://news.cnet.com...
http://www.inc.com...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
http://www.nasa.gov...

I apologize in advance for the scatterbrained format of my post for it has been a while since I have been on this site.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 6:00:11 PM

Read all about it...:

Uh.... what?
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 9:06:08 PM
At 4/16/2012 6:00:11 PM, seraine wrote:

Read all about it...:

Uh.... what?

NASA holds the most patents and currently has around 40% of the United States scientific research. So perhaps I was exaggerating a bit, but, the scientific innovation within the United States would be extraordinarily curtailed.