Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

How to keep your computer secure

1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 8:04:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Step 1: Use layered security!

Layer 1: Firewall (Make sure Windows Firewall is on. Start, control panel, System and Security(or security center in XP) and Windows Firewall)
Layer 2: Anti-Virus (Avast, MSE, AVG are good, I use MSE, all free.)
Layer 3: Anti-malware (Malwarebytes, IObit Malware Fighter are both good and free.)

Step 2: Updates
Install all updates! Check weekly for Windows Updates:
Windows Vista & 7: Start, search: Windows Update, click check for new updates
Windows XP: Start, Control Panel, Security Center, turn on automatic updates.
Check for updates for third party applications.

This is essential to a computer's health.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Kescarte_DeJudica
Posts: 581
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2017 3:24:44 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2012 8:04:59 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Step 1: Use layered security!

Layer 1: Firewall (Make sure Windows Firewall is on. Start, control panel, System and Security(or security center in XP) and Windows Firewall)
Layer 2: Anti-Virus (Avast, MSE, AVG are good, I use MSE, all free.)
Layer 3: Anti-malware (Malwarebytes, IObit Malware Fighter are both good and free.)

I'd like to add Bit Defender. Avast was my previous favorite, but lately, they don't seem to be doing a very good job. They're software can only be installed on my Windows 10 computer by using an offline installer, and then it is buggy and doesn't work properly.

Bit Defender is quiet, simple and private. They pick up on a lot of stuff and were recommended by PC Gamer. I recommend them. They have a free and paid version, but the free one covers everything.

I do not recommend AVG anymore. They're UI has become very clunky with their design changes, and it has much too many pop-ups on their free version. What's worse, they harvest your data and sell it to marketing companies, with no way to opt out.

I can't give an opinion on MSE,, as I have never used it.

Malwarebytes is excellent, still compatible with XP too, even with the 3.0 version. I recommend it.

Step 2: Updates
Install all updates! Check weekly for Windows Updates:
Windows Vista & 7: Start, search: Windows Update, click check for new updates
Windows XP: Start, Control Panel, Security Center, turn on automatic updates.
Check for updates for third party applications.

This is essential to a computer's health.

It is not a good idea to always install all updates. Remember when Windows 10 came out and they tried to install it whether you wanted them to or not? While I like the operating system now, it was terrible for the first 6 months or so unitl they had worked out all the bugs. Of course, this wasn't relevent five years ago, but is important now.

I'd like to add a Step 3: Add a cleaner program. It will remove broken links and residual files that are left over from uninstalling programs and deleting files. I recommend CCleaner Free. It will clean your computer very accurately and efficiently, and and will also delete Registry errors. Also, download their free Defrag software, to clean up all the fragments on your hard drive. It will keep your computer running smoothly.

All of these programs come in Windows 10 and XP supported versions.
"Never thought I'd be sitting up at 9:20 at night discussing with a random stranger how to best acquire a goat carcass." ~Tree of Death
Cat47
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2017 3:27:54 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
It's funny how relevant this became 5 years after it was posted, and it didn't even get posts until today.
this is a sentence.
Kescarte_DeJudica
Posts: 581
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2017 3:31:30 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/21/2017 3:27:54 AM, Cat47 wrote:
It's funny how relevant this became 5 years after it was posted, and it didn't even get posts until today.

One of many mysteries to be sure... ;)

Have any security recommendations to bring to the table? *brushes away the cobwebs*
"Never thought I'd be sitting up at 9:20 at night discussing with a random stranger how to best acquire a goat carcass." ~Tree of Death
microlabs
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2017 9:18:49 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 4/21/2017 3:31:30 AM, Kescarte_DeJudica wrote:
At 4/21/2017 3:27:54 AM, Cat47 wrote:
It's funny how relevant this became 5 years after it was posted, and it didn't even get posts until today.

One of many mysteries to be sure... ;)

Have any security recommendations to bring to the table? *brushes away the cobwebs*

Install all updates! Check weekly for Windows Updates:
Windows Vista & 7: Start, search: Windows Update, click check for new updates
Windows XP: Start, Control Panel, Security Center, turn on automatic updates.
Check for updates for third party applications.
Nav ERP
Kescarte_DeJudica
Posts: 581
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 12:07:04 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 4/27/2017 9:18:49 AM, microlabs wrote:
At 4/21/2017 3:31:30 AM, Kescarte_DeJudica wrote:
At 4/21/2017 3:27:54 AM, Cat47 wrote:
It's funny how relevant this became 5 years after it was posted, and it didn't even get posts until today.

One of many mysteries to be sure... ;)

Have any security recommendations to bring to the table? *brushes away the cobwebs*

Install all updates! Check weekly for Windows Updates:
Windows Vista & 7: Start, search: Windows Update, click check for new updates
Windows XP: Start, Control Panel, Security Center, turn on automatic updates.
Check for updates for third party applications.

I don't think it is always best to do new updates immediately. Take this new Creators Update that just came out for Windows 10.

A few days after it came out, Microsoft told people to not install it because it was causing problems.

Sometimes, especially with major updates, it's better to wait a week or two to make sure there aren't bugs in it, and longer if there are, so that they can be fixed.
"Never thought I'd be sitting up at 9:20 at night discussing with a random stranger how to best acquire a goat carcass." ~Tree of Death
Cat47
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2017 9:08:29 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Unrelated Overwatch Advice:

Step 1. Load overwatch
Step 2. Say 'gg ez" in the match chat.
this is a sentence.
microlabs
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2017 12:32:39 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 4/21/2017 3:24:44 AM, Kescarte_DeJudica wrote:
At 4/19/2012 8:04:59 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Step 1: Use layered security!

Layer 1: Firewall (Make sure Windows Firewall is on. Start, control panel, System and Security(or security center in XP) and Windows Firewall)
Layer 2: Anti-Virus (Avast, MSE, AVG are good, I use MSE, all free.)
Layer 3: Anti-malware (Malwarebytes, IObit Malware Fighter are both good and free.)

I'd like to add Bit Defender. Avast was my previous favorite, but lately, they don't seem to be doing a very good job. They're software can only be installed on my Windows 10 computer by using an offline installer, and then it is buggy and doesn't work properly.

Bit Defender is quiet, simple and private. They pick up on a lot of stuff and were recommended by PC Gamer. I recommend them. They have a free and paid version, but the free one covers everything.

I do not recommend AVG anymore. They're UI has become very clunky with their design changes, and it has much too many pop-ups on their free version. What's worse, they harvest your data and sell it to marketing companies, with no way to opt out.

I can't give an opinion on MSE,, as I have never used it.

Malwarebytes is excellent, still compatible with XP too, even with the 3.0 version. I recommend it.

Step 2: Updates
Install all updates! Check weekly for Windows Updates:
Windows Vista & 7: Start, search: Windows Update, click check for new updates
Windows XP: Start, Control Panel, Security Center, turn on automatic updates.
Check for updates for third party applications.

This is essential to a computer's health.

It is not a good idea to always install all updates. Remember when Windows 10 came out and they tried to install it whether you wanted them to or not? While I like the operating system now, it was terrible for the first 6 months or so unitl they had worked out all the bugs. Of course, this wasn't relevent five years ago, but is important now.

I'd like to add a Step 3: Add a cleaner program. It will remove broken links and residual files that are left over from uninstalling programs and deleting files. I recommend CCleaner Free. It will clean your computer very accurately and efficiently, and and will also delete Registry errors. Also, download their free Defrag software, to clean up all the fragments on your hard drive. It will keep your computer running smoothly.

All of these programs come in Windows 10 and XP supported versions.

I'd like to add a Step 3: Add a cleaner program. It will remove broken links and residual files that are left over from uninstalling programs and deleting files. I recommend CCleaner Free. It will clean your computer very accurately and efficiently, and and will also delete Registry errors. Also, download their free Defrag software, to clean up all the fragments on your hard drive. It will keep your computer running smoothly.
Nav ERP
Kescarte_DeJudica
Posts: 581
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2017 12:08:11 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/1/2017 12:32:39 PM, microlabs wrote:
At 4/21/2017 3:24:44 AM, Kescarte_DeJudica wrote:
At 4/19/2012 8:04:59 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Step 1: Use layered security!

Layer 1: Firewall (Make sure Windows Firewall is on. Start, control panel, System and Security(or security center in XP) and Windows Firewall)
Layer 2: Anti-Virus (Avast, MSE, AVG are good, I use MSE, all free.)
Layer 3: Anti-malware (Malwarebytes, IObit Malware Fighter are both good and free.)

I'd like to add Bit Defender. Avast was my previous favorite, but lately, they don't seem to be doing a very good job. They're software can only be installed on my Windows 10 computer by using an offline installer, and then it is buggy and doesn't work properly.

Bit Defender is quiet, simple and private. They pick up on a lot of stuff and were recommended by PC Gamer. I recommend them. They have a free and paid version, but the free one covers everything.

I do not recommend AVG anymore. They're UI has become very clunky with their design changes, and it has much too many pop-ups on their free version. What's worse, they harvest your data and sell it to marketing companies, with no way to opt out.

I can't give an opinion on MSE,, as I have never used it.

Malwarebytes is excellent, still compatible with XP too, even with the 3.0 version. I recommend it.

Step 2: Updates
Install all updates! Check weekly for Windows Updates:
Windows Vista & 7: Start, search: Windows Update, click check for new updates
Windows XP: Start, Control Panel, Security Center, turn on automatic updates.
Check for updates for third party applications.

This is essential to a computer's health.

It is not a good idea to always install all updates. Remember when Windows 10 came out and they tried to install it whether you wanted them to or not? While I like the operating system now, it was terrible for the first 6 months or so unitl they had worked out all the bugs. Of course, this wasn't relevent five years ago, but is important now.

I'd like to add a Step 3: Add a cleaner program. It will remove broken links and residual files that are left over from uninstalling programs and deleting files. I recommend CCleaner Free. It will clean your computer very accurately and efficiently, and and will also delete Registry errors. Also, download their free Defrag software, to clean up all the fragments on your hard drive. It will keep your computer running smoothly.

All of these programs come in Windows 10 and XP supported versions.

I'd like to add a Step 3: Add a cleaner program. It will remove broken links and residual files that are left over from uninstalling programs and deleting files. I recommend CCleaner Free. It will clean your computer very accurately and efficiently, and and will also delete Registry errors. Also, download their free Defrag software, to clean up all the fragments on your hard drive. It will keep your computer running smoothly.

Excellent suggestion> I use both of those programs and they work very well.

I'll add another suggestion: use a password manager. They will create strong, hard to crack password, and store them in an encrypted vault, instead of your un-encrypted browser. I use and recommend LastPass, available as a Google Chrome extension.
"Never thought I'd be sitting up at 9:20 at night discussing with a random stranger how to best acquire a goat carcass." ~Tree of Death