Jump to topic:

Babel fish - Google?

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 9:01:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is the Babel Fish of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy coming close to reality?

Google's Translate feature not only translates from one language to the other, it also detects which language you are typing.

Now, all it needs to do is have a voice recognition software (which is already present), load it up on your phone, have a set of wireless earphones, and run a text to speech from the translated language and presto, you can understand when a Frenchman says "C'est ne rien" after you thank him for his help, he only means "It's nothing".
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 4:06:07 PM
I use the Google translations from time to time to read Japanese web pages. It's better than nothing, and surely better than my limited skills at reading Japanese, but it has a long way to go. subjectively, it's maybe three on a scale of ten.

My understanding is that it translates from the first language to Esperanto and then from Esperanto to he second language. that has a great virtue in getting between almost any two languages, but it has limitations. Idiomatic phrases are often missed.
Oldfrith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 2:11:38 PM
At 4/19/2012 9:01:34 PM, Indophile wrote:
Is the Babel Fish of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy coming close to reality?

Google's Translate feature not only translates from one language to the other, it also detects which language you are typing.

Now, all it needs to do is have a voice recognition software (which is already present), load it up on your phone, have a set of wireless earphones, and run a text to speech from the translated language and presto, you can understand when a Frenchman says "C'est ne rien" after you thank him for his help, he only means "It's nothing".

Not until it can read brain waves, it can't!
You know how people, when they don't know the meaning of a word, automatically think it's appropriate?
Well, How about this one:
Schloop-Schloop-Ping-a-Pang-bong
Which means:
To play a vigorous game of monopoly
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 7:25:23 AM
At 4/21/2012 4:06:07 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I use the Google translations from time to time to read Japanese web pages. It's better than nothing, and surely better than my limited skills at reading Japanese, but it has a long way to go. subjectively, it's maybe three on a scale of ten.

My understanding is that it translates from the first language to Esperanto and then from Esperanto to he second language. that has a great virtue in getting between almost any two languages, but it has limitations. Idiomatic phrases are often missed.

I always thought it was Lojban?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.