Jump to topic:

File Editing Issues on XP

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2009 6:00:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
So, I just had to have XP loaded into my laptop, after my formerly refurbished Vista-loaded hard drive decided to tell me to f*ck off and died.

Granted, I don't mind too much, except for the information lost. But I've recently run in to a problem.

This program I have, which is designed to edit scenario files in a game, no longer seems to work as it did in my old Vista system, and on my even older (but still completely workable) Windows 2000 system.

The issue is that the program will open, read the scenario files, and present the data to be edited - but you can never save the edits.

I fiddled around with the permissions and made sure my profile, users and etc. all had access, but to no avail. It simply refuses to save any edits I make.

An even weirder part of this issue is that when I create a new scenario, which overwrites the old scenarios, the program will do that. But, when I go to edit the new scenario, it refuses to save again.

Also, I was able to edit a file once - a file I never touched before. But, after that one edit and save, it croaked.

I have no idea what the problem is, which is why I'm posting about it here. I assume that some of you have much more knowledge of XP or programming than I do, which isn't saying much.

Anyways, the scenario files are opened with notepad (since you can use notepad to manually edit the files) - just as it was on the Vista and 2000 programs. The editor program is the same one I've used for all other programs, and it is from the legit source, the creator actually. You can download it here, if you want to take a look at it: http://80soft.ipbhost.com...

Does something in XP prevent the editor program from saving? Do CREATOR OWNER permissions, which never seem to stay on, affect my editing permissions? Et cetera?

Any help will be very much appreciated.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:01:01 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 9:37:05 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
What game? It is crucial for my own personal interest.

It isn't anything major, just an election strategy game called Prime Minister Forever. Got it for 8 bucks and it's fun, especially when you can change around party strengths and create differing situations in ridings across the country. They also have President Forever, which is American, and Chancellor Forever, which is German, but cool because it has the MMP system built in, instead of FPTP. Makes for interesting situations.