Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Fire vs Computers

Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 5:55:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So I was trying to get into a room the other day. I had a lit candle in one hand and a laptop in the other. So I knocked with my knee and said, "hey! open the door! I can't get it open!" And from inside I heard, "Why? Open it yourself!" I said, flustered, "bah! I've got... revolutionary technology! The first and the most recent! My hands are full! Open the door!"

Buddum Ch!

So which was the most revolutionary? Fire or computers?
Which could we do without? One, both, or neither? Why?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 5:59:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think it would be impossible to make computers without fire..
So fire I guess...
Fire is also useful to burn things.. But it doesn't have the internet.. yet.
Debate.org Moderator
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 6:01:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/6/2012 5:59:23 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I think it would be impossible to make computers without fire..
So fire I guess...
Fire is also useful to burn things.. But it doesn't have the internet.. yet.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 6:24:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/6/2012 5:59:23 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I think it would be impossible to make computers without fire..
So fire I guess...
Fire is also useful to burn things.. But it doesn't have the internet.. yet.

Internet-using fire!! I'll go with that.

Serious answer: Fire. Cooked food is nice, and without fire there's no way we could have a lot of the things that make life as we know it possible. We could never have made any sort of sophisticated tools, or anything like that.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 6:36:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/6/2012 6:24:34 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 5/6/2012 5:59:23 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I think it would be impossible to make computers without fire..
So fire I guess...
Fire is also useful to burn things.. But it doesn't have the internet.. yet.

Internet-using fire!! I'll go with that.

Serious answer: Fire. Cooked food is nice, and without fire there's no way we could have a lot of the things that make life as we know it possible. We could never have made any sort of sophisticated tools, or anything like that.

How about now, given the current technological climate in well-off nations- could we do without fire?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 7:49:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/6/2012 6:36:05 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 5/6/2012 6:24:34 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 5/6/2012 5:59:23 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I think it would be impossible to make computers without fire..
So fire I guess...
Fire is also useful to burn things.. But it doesn't have the internet.. yet.

Internet-using fire!! I'll go with that.

Serious answer: Fire. Cooked food is nice, and without fire there's no way we could have a lot of the things that make life as we know it possible. We could never have made any sort of sophisticated tools, or anything like that.

How about now, given the current technological climate in well-off nations- could we do without fire?

Probably, with electric stoves and cars and such. I'd certainly miss roasting marshmallows in the summer, but that's not to say I couldn't do without that. As much as I hate to admit it, and I do take both for granted, but - the internet is so much a part of life that I couldn't imagine not having it. The same cannot be said of fire. I'm not sure if that says more about how far we've come or how dependent on technology current standards of living are.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 7:50:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Fire. WAY more things came out of fire than computers.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 8:47:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/6/2012 7:49:29 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 5/6/2012 6:36:05 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 5/6/2012 6:24:34 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 5/6/2012 5:59:23 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I think it would be impossible to make computers without fire..
So fire I guess...
Fire is also useful to burn things.. But it doesn't have the internet.. yet.

Internet-using fire!! I'll go with that.

Serious answer: Fire. Cooked food is nice, and without fire there's no way we could have a lot of the things that make life as we know it possible. We could never have made any sort of sophisticated tools, or anything like that.

How about now, given the current technological climate in well-off nations- could we do without fire?

Probably, with electric stoves and cars and such. I'd certainly miss roasting marshmallows in the summer, but that's not to say I couldn't do without that. As much as I hate to admit it, and I do take both for granted, but - the internet is so much a part of life that I couldn't imagine not having it. The same cannot be said of fire. I'm not sure if that says more about how far we've come or how dependent on technology current standards of living are.

This is what I was thinking. As far as our lives are now, fire is the replaceable one, not computers.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 5:10:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/6/2012 7:50:53 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Fire. WAY more things came out of fire than computers.

Quantity vs quality?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 9:27:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The question is not worthy of asking. The answer is way beyond the bounds on the side of blatantly obvious.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 6:52:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 9:27:09 PM, sadolite wrote:
The question is not worthy of asking. The answer is way beyond the bounds on the side of blatantly obvious.

If it's so blatantly obvious, what's the answer?
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 2:04:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 6:52:58 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 5/15/2012 9:27:09 PM, sadolite wrote:
The question is not worthy of asking. The answer is way beyond the bounds on the side of blatantly obvious.

If it's so blatantly obvious, what's the answer?

Fire!

Uses of Fire:

Provides heat... meaning we could leave the equator ;)
makes meat easier to eat and more useful (probably allowing our Pre-modern "Homo" ancestors to evolve bigger brains... Given how Before fire a lot more resources were required to go to the Stomach.. after fire we could break down food without monstrous stomachs..and, being more efficient in this manner could free up extra resources to feed bigger, energy hungry, brains... I think this was in a Jared Diamond book :/ )
allows us to break down fuels to power locomotion...
and... lots of other stuff ;)

Internet:
Makes markets and communication flow better...
Powerful... but... Fire had a bigger impact both on our natures and our lifestyles.. and even today... if you were banned from reaping any benefits from controlled fires you would be much worse off than being without the internet ;)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 2:11:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/21/2012 2:04:48 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
. if you were banned from reaping any benefits from controlled fires you would be much worse off than being without the internet ;)

for example :)

You're probably only connected to the internet right now because some electric company that provides you with electricity is making some Fire :)

and, well... lets say you want to order some fancy solar panels... How will they get shipped but with fire?! :)

And how will they even be made??? My guess is.. somewhere along the line.. with FIRE :) !
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 2:23:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
oh, you said Computers.. not Internet...

I suppose the Utility of Computers broadly is quite a bit more than 'the internet'... but still...

Fire wins :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."