Jump to topic:

Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 7:05:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yeah, so I got Ubuntu a few months ago, and noticed it was very buggy and the interface was hard to navigate. So today I got Kubuntu and I find it 10X easier to use and way better than Ubuntu. I find the taskbar much easier to use and the programs are better too. I also noticed an overall speed increase. Overall, I like Kubuntu better than Ubuntu. What do you guys think?
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 11:13:32 PM
Ubuntu isn't the fastest. I used Linux Mint on an old and slow desktop two years ago. I switched to Linux Mint KDE for the excellent user interface. This was my UI: http://imageshack.us...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 11:45:52 PM
At 5/10/2012 11:13:32 PM, Mirza wrote:
Ubuntu isn't the fastest. I used Linux Mint on an old and slow desktop two years ago. I switched to Linux Mint KDE for the excellent user interface. This was my UI: http://imageshack.us...

Wow. Awesome UI... I love it. So serene.
Debate.org Moderator
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 11:50:35 PM
I am because we are.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 6:40:58 PM
At 5/10/2012 7:05:28 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Yeah, so I got Ubuntu a few months ago, and noticed it was very buggy and the interface was hard to navigate. So today I got Kubuntu and I find it 10X easier to use and way better than Ubuntu. I find the taskbar much easier to use and the programs are better too. I also noticed an overall speed increase. Overall, I like Kubuntu better than Ubuntu. What do you guys think?

I recently installed 12.04 with the default Unity window manager (i.e. Ubuntu). It's OK but there are slight delays where there shouldn't be (like when hitting the Windows key and waiting a second for the menu to come up). That's a little annoying to me but it's not that big of a deal. Over all, it runs fine.

I would have expected Kubuntu to run more slowly since, I thought, KDE is a more intensive windows manager.

I've been thinking about installing Xfce to get the UI a little more snappy. A UI should be faster than the human. I shouldn't have to wait for a menu to pop up.

It's easy to install a collection of windows managers by the way and switch back and forth between them.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 5:53:17 PM
At 5/11/2012 6:40:58 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/10/2012 7:05:28 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

I recently installed 12.04 with the default Unity window manager (i.e. Ubuntu). It's OK but there are slight delays where there shouldn't be (like when hitting the Windows key and waiting a second for the menu to come up). That's a little annoying to me but it's not that big of a deal. Over all, it runs fine.

I would have expected Kubuntu to run more slowly since, I thought, KDE is a more intensive windows manager.

I've been thinking about installing Xfce to get the UI a little more snappy. A UI should be faster than the human. I shouldn't have to wait for a menu to pop up.

It's easy to install a collection of windows managers by the way and switch back and forth between them.

Yeah, I think I might try Xfce but I heard it is very bad. KDE has more features. Anyways, I am currently dual-booting Windows 7 and Kubuntu. Both good operating systems, but I find Windows 7 more useful and more efficient.
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 1:02:46 AM
It's been a bit since I've used linux... my desktop crashed and I just use a lappy now.

I ran Windows 7/Lubuntu/DamnSmallLinux

DSL is amazing, along with other ultra-small distros. You can load the entire OS and programs right into RAM.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 3:25:57 PM
At 5/21/2012 1:02:46 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
It's been a bit since I've used linux... my desktop crashed and I just use a lappy now.

I ran Windows 7/Lubuntu/DamnSmallLinux

DSL is amazing, along with other ultra-small distros. You can load the entire OS and programs right into RAM.

I might have to try that. I thought it was only for really old machines though. I never considered using for a new machine. I love light-weight software (even though I use FF; Chromium just doesn't fit me well).
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 6:04:46 AM
Use Arch Linux.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 12:43:49 AM
Suddenly, a wild chess game appears
♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟

♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:14:17 AM
There was a bug with Ubuntu that caused one of my drivers to malfunction. They fixed it now.
Wall of LOL