Jump to topic:

Google is "Trying to Be More Human"

bcorners
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 8:51:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Google is updating their algorithm again to try to "think more like a human" but is it going too far or is it something we need to continue to get lazier as humans?

http://googleblog.blogspot.in...
WriterDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 9:44:03 AM
While I do enjoy the ability to be more lazy with each technological advance, I have grave concerns about humanity becoming symbiotic with its technology. Memory comes immediately to mind: gone are the days when we could memorize and recite entire Homeric epics. Some schools are no longer teaching cursive writing. Right now, if we lost all technology, it would be an enormous culture shock, but we could probably recover; in fifty or a hundred years, that may no longer be true.

Having said that, I want an iPad. :-/
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 10:07:29 AM
At 5/18/2012 9:44:03 AM, WriterDave wrote:
Memory comes immediately to mind: gone are the days when we could memorize and recite entire Homeric epics.

That isn't because of genetic changes though. We'd still be fundamentally the same even we lost all our technology, so I doubt we'd have lost our ability to memorise large quantities of information.

Besides, there's far too much information in the modern world for it even to be worth memorising that much. The ability to evaluate and interpret data is more important. That's what we have that computers don't.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 10:08:25 AM
Lizard people be trying to take over.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 11:23:04 AM
At 5/18/2012 10:08:25 AM, OberHerr wrote:

*drags Ober away*
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 12:16:25 PM
At 5/18/2012 11:23:04 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

*drags Ober away*

Nu uh.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 12:31:29 PM
At 5/18/2012 12:16:25 PM, OberHerr wrote:

*drags Ober away*

Nu uh.

uh huh
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 12:31:56 PM
At 5/18/2012 12:31:29 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 5/18/2012 12:16:25 PM, OberHerr wrote:

*drags Ober away*

Nu uh.

uh huh

Nu uh.

WriterDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 4:01:56 PM
At 5/18/2012 10:07:29 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Memory comes immediately to mind: gone are the days when we could memorize and recite entire Homeric epics.

That isn't because of genetic changes though. We'd still be fundamentally the same even we lost all our technology, so I doubt we'd have lost our ability to memorise large quantities of information.

Besides, there's far too much information in the modern world for it even to be worth memorising that much. The ability to evaluate and interpret data is more important. That's what we have that computers don't.

You may be right. Such feats of memory aren't completely unheard of today. But as long as we have a symbiosis with technology, the ability to memorize won't be selected for. Nor, if computers become sufficiently strong, will the ability to evaluate and interpret data.

There are people who anticipate these problems, and are taking very early steps to ensure that, when the computer overlords arrive, they'll have our best interests in mind as a growing species.
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
Oldfrith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 7:59:15 AM
While I do enjoy the ability to be more lazy with each technological advance, I have grave concerns about humanity becoming symbiotic with its technology. Memory comes immediately to mind: gone are the days when we could memorize and recite entire Homeric epics. Some schools are no longer teaching cursive writing. Right now, if we lost all technology, it would be an enormous culture shock, but we could probably recover; in fifty or a hundred years, that may no longer be true.

Waaaat????

Seriously? You have "The Odyssey" memorized?
You know how people, when they don't know the meaning of a word, automatically think it's appropriate?
Well, How about this one:
Schloop-Schloop-Ping-a-Pang-bong
Which means:
To play a vigorous game of monopoly
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 9:22:17 PM
At 5/31/2012 7:59:15 AM, Oldfrith wrote:

Waaaat????

Seriously? You have "The Odyssey" memorized?

You're saying you don't...isn't that normal?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 10:32:03 PM
At 5/18/2012 4:01:56 PM, WriterDave wrote:
At 5/18/2012 10:07:29 AM, Kinesis wrote:

You may be right. Such feats of memory aren't completely unheard of today. But as long as we have a symbiosis with technology, the ability to memorize won't be selected for. Nor, if computers become sufficiently strong, will the ability to evaluate and interpret data.

There are people who anticipate these problems, and are taking very early steps to ensure that, when the computer overlords arrive, they'll have our best interests in mind as a growing species.

You all are overreacting. Technological advances have been happening since the dawn of man and we have retained our ability to think creatively and come up with new ideas.

You guys sound like the Flat Earth Society... opposed to new ideas because they're scary.